Bound Buttonhole e-book – available from me!

Bound Buttonhole e-book

Hey, guys. Anyone remember the Vogue coat I made with bound buttonholes, and the Simplicity jacket? I’ve since been making bound buttonholes until they come out of my ears, all in the name of putting together a 41-page e-book of instructions and photographs.

Bound Buttonholes

I know how terrifying this technique can be – oh, how I know! My Vogue coat made me really want to change that for other people. To quote from my original blog post:

This experience taught me that if there’s anything I can do to help prevent others feeling so utterly isolated, I’m there.

So, I went and studied with Beth of Sunny Gal Studios. I downloaded the Book Creator app to my iPad. I was curious – could a person really create a book, just on their iPad? Turns out they can!

I enlisted the help of three sewing friends to come and make bound buttonholes with me. All I asked in return was for them to give me feedback on my fledgling e-book. I then sat on my backside for several months out of fear, distraction, fear… Finally, I gave myself a good shake and asked my sewing teacher to read the book, I invited the gorgeous Oobop to design me a cover, I bribed a colleague to proofread it for me. Finally, I couldn’t procrastinate any further. I needed to kick myself and just put it out there.

You can visit the e-book page here. (There’s also a clickable button link in my sidebar.) The e-book costs £2 for over 40 pages and nearly as many step-by-step photographs.

Be aware, this e-book doesn’t tell you how to make a jacket or a coat. It shows you how to practise buttonholes on a swatch of your chosen fashion fabric. This is a really important step. Please, please never slice open your first bound buttonhole on your actual make. If you do, weeping will be involved.

So, I’ve written a handy tutorial for a practice go, based on my experiences. For every bound buttonhole there will be a different take and technique – this one is mine.

With huge thanks to all the people who helped.

49 Responses to Bound Buttonhole e-book – available from me!

1. Adrienne says:

Yay!! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of this baby. Congratulations Karencita!! You are amazing and I can’t wait to read your book.

2. Nessa says:

CONGRATULATIONS KAREN!!!!! This is a brilliant idea! Thank you for all your hard work! Best wishes on this project.

3. Just how cool are you? I’ve a jacket in my future so this book will be too. Congratulations.

4. Tilly says:

Woo for Karen! Stitchers across the globe will rejoice that such a thoughtful, encouraging stitcher as you has put together such a valuable resource. And what a bargain!! You’ve definitely got a customer in me… xx

5. Having been one of Karen’s original guinea pigs and then gone on to make my own bound buttonholes on a coat, I can assure you all that this e-book is a life saver. It’s like having a virtual Karen holding your hand throughout the whole process! IT’S BRILLIANT!! BUY IT!!!! x

6. Patty says:

just ordered it! will need in the near future!

7. Well done Karen! And yay for all the wonderful tools that exist nowadays. I’ll definitely buy this.

Except that it means I may want to make a jacket with bound buttonholes afterwards, and I haven’t even conquered my Big Terror Of Lining yet. Actually, I’m already struggling with basic things like fixing the back of my Laurel muslin, so a jacket seems like a distant dream – but I shall conquer this, I shall! (BBC 1996 Darcy style).

You look so elegant in this coat!

8. Elizabeth says:

Wow, that’s amazing! Congrats!!!

9. ClaireE says:

Fantastic! This is definitely something that I need. I’ve only ever made them once and it was ok but I’m sure in need of instruction!

10. Sally says:

Well done Karen and thank you. Bound buttonholes are the only thing that really scares me about sewing, but hopefully not for long!

11. Petra says:

I saw the headline, went shopping at once – I’m so excited! Thank you so so much for this. I’ve been looking forward to this since you and your testers’ posts about it! I’m just going to say thank you again!

12. Helen says:

Wow! What an achievement! And thank you for this! It’s definitely one of my reasons for not progressing my coat this winter. I’ve looked at so many books and it all makes sense until a certain bit, so hopefully your e book will quell that fear! Can you also please write one on how not to be too scared to actually cut your fabric? 🙂

13. Karen that is SO COOL. What a fabulous idea!!! Thank you so much for all the effort you put into this. I will definitely be purchasing it!

14. Heather says:

Thanks Karen , PLEASE do lining next I am still struggling with that. Already purchased, ready for a summer coat. I hope that your hard work pays off.

• KathleenS says:

(I’m not Karen, but) I highly recommend the Easy Guide to Sewing Linings, by Connie Long. It used to be a book but now it’s available as a download from Taunton Press.

15. Thea says:

Amazing, thanks! I was wondering if it was time to look out for it again yesterday – I saw the most beautiful skirt. A pencil skirt with about 10 bound buttonholes down the back, and four at the front. Sadly, it was too big, and I realized I will have to make my own. It might be a while, but I’ll let you know when it’s done!

16. Sam says:

How fantastic! I made my first bound buttonholes last year and while they weren’t as difficult as I thought they were going to be I could definitely have done with this! I’ve just bought a vintage cape pattern with bound button holes, so I shall be purchasing your e-book.

17. Awesome! Congratulations! The Universe is in the details, as they say, and I love that you’ve devoted this text to a very specific and underused technique. Bravo!

18. BeaJay says:

Just bought it – one of my sewlutions in the jar is to do buttons and zips this year (not ventured there yet) so this is a timely release.

19. redsilvia says:

I just bought it too! Congratulations on being such a stud! Can’t wait to bind my next buttonhole project. I may need wine before cutting though.

20. Just purchased my copy 🙂 (Yay for you Hun for being one smart Lady and fir sharing the fruits of your endeavours with us!)

21. Marie says:

Like Jane above, I too had the pleasure of attending Karen’s trial workshop. I’d never tried bound buttonholes before and with Karen’s expert tuition, I was literally in awe of what I created on the day. The e-book is seriously good folks! Comprehensive, but easy to follow…a real lifesaver when it comes to bound buttonholes. Oh, and a total bargain too! Don’t even think twice about investing, it’s a no brainer!

22. Well done you! I wish you every success with it.

23. Congratulations!!! I can’t wait for it to arrive. I look forward to ‘learning’ from you across the pond.

24. Wendy says:

Just opened mine, it a gorgeous little book!

25. Ashley0107 says:

Ooh, how exciting! Congratualtions 🙂

26. KathleenS says:

Oh, I’ve been waiting for this! Very excited to get the book.

27. Congratulations on a wonderful achievement. Now, do I really need another sewing book? Of course I do!

28. franceparijs says:

Hope you have received my purchase request – I wouldn’t like to miss this for anything 🙂

29. Tee says:

thanks so much!!!! I’ve nominated you for the Lovely Blog award check it out at
    dressed2atee.blogspot.com

30. LinB says:

Oh, it’s bound to be a success! It will fill a hole in the sewing universe. It will button up any remaining questions on how to do this task … that’s all I’ve got. (I’m sure that is a relief.)

31. Ashley says:

Congrats! What an accomplishment!

32. nothy says:

Oh this is great! Thanks so much!!!!

33. Congratulations on such an achievement, that’s fabulous!

34. franceparijs says:

Testing PayPal notification.

35. Jan Carr says:

Thank You Karen! Buttonholes bring me out in a cold sweat.

36. Congratulations on your book! Never enough good books in my sewing libraty 🙂

37. Portia says:

Shared on FB. It looks fab Karen, well done!
    Px

38. Crystal says:

I’m so pleased to be able to support one of my favorite bloggers!

39. Pingback: And first I’d like to thank… | The Amazing Adventures of Taracat

40. Pingback: What’s Publishing Ever Done For Us? | Did You Make That?

41. Pingback: ikea in benin + stylish dress book dress j + bosco is a heartbreaker

42. Pingback: La cape Fairy Tale – Chez Maza