Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt – I Lied

Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt

Five days ago, on this very blog, I claimed, ‘I’m a strictly One-Project-At-A-Time woman.’ Then I decided to squeeze in a quick second make of the Hollyburn Skirt. I am nothing if not an unreliable narrator!

To be fair, this wasn’t a totally self-indulgent exercise. I’ve been teaching a couple of students at home on my weekends, in order to prepare for the class soon starting at The Village Haberdashery. To help, I decided to quickly cut out a second version of the skirt. There isn’t much time to sew your own stuff whilst teaching, but it did prove useful to have these pieces on hand.

I now have the bonus of two finished makes to take to the class, platforming a variety of treatments:

• One has a normal zip, the other an invisible zip.
  • One is lined, the other isn’t.
  • One has the waistband finished by hand, the other uses stitch in the ditch.
  • One has a standard folded over hem, on the other I attempted a narrow hem.

So my students will have lots to look at when they’re making their own choices! We won’t have time to line our skirts, but I figure it will be interesting for them to see one lined.

Hollyburn Skirt

The fabric was bought over a year ago at The High Street Retro Centre in the Old Town of Hastings, when I was there to run the half marathon. Jeez, my running career has dried up and no mistake. I have a dog-walking career now! (True Confession – I get way more regular exercise walking a dog three times a day than I ever did running.)

I’m wearing the skirt with a Debbie Bliss Flower Yoked Sweater I knitted back in 2011. Eep – time is passing too quickly! This is a great sweater. I’d love to knit it again, maybe in a stronger colour. I’d probably go down a size.

Brooch

Finally, special mention must go to the brooch I’m wearing. Bought from Tiny Happy, it’s made from reclaimed embroidery. It is a very brave little brooch as it survived a cycle through the washing machine, when I forgot to remove it from a top. (If you’re interested – no, my fabric softener dispenser is still not working.)

Hey, guys! Have you noticed? Spring’s arrived. Took blooming long enough.

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt – I Lied

1. maddie says:

I do this all the time – take on a project while I am working on another one. I know I’m the best seamstress when I focus on one project at a time but I can’t help it, I want to sew everything!

I love this skirt and I’m glad that you took on the project 🙂

2. Kat says:

I love this version almost as much as the first Karen, and what a perfect compliment to your sweater! I so need this pattern in my life. I’m supposed to be on a pattern and fabric diet but it’s my birthday next month…it doesn’t count if it’s a gift right?! Oh and don’t feel bad…I reckon life’s too short to be a one-project-at-a-time woman!!

• Kat, I can really see you in this skirt. I think you would look great in it! There, I’ve told you – you HAVE to buy this pattern. Blame me. I want to make it in a solid colour – I think that would make such a great day in, day out staple.

• Kat says:

Aww thanks Karen, you’re an enabler – I love it! And who am I to argue?! I think this skirt would look great in a solid as well as a print, so many options.

3. Miriana says:

I love Tiny Happy – one of the first blogs I started reading. Hope the teaching goes well – it’s at one if my two local fabrics shops.

4. Becky says:

Well you are a busy gal! Love the skirt, love the sweater as well. Yes, my dogs certainly ensure that I get plenty of exercise, too. Now that is it spring, you won’t miss your fabric softener dispenser so much. Can’t you use fabric sheets in the dryer? Actually, liquid fabric softener is bad for your washing machine, not that you wanted to know that. Good luck with your classes. You are so well prepared, I am sure your students will have a great experience.

• I try not to use my dryer, unless I absolutely have to. Partly because of the environment, partly because my machine is a washer dryer that’s a bit not-so-great. That may be part of the problem!

5. Fun print and love the brooch!

6. Jo says:

What?? Fabric dispenser?! If I had a working one of those I’d be happy woman! Please tell me it wasn’t a mundane typo and such a machine does indeed exist – I’m imagining something Willy Wonka-style for fabricaholics…

In the meantime, I hope your washing machine is back to normal soon.

7. creative pixie says:

Great skirt. I’d love to make myself a skirt-perhaps this summer me thinks 🙂

8. Michelle says:

Adorable! I love the way you’ve styled this too.

9. JacqC says:

Oh that’s a beauty. I so want to buy this pattern but am on a ban, no patterns until I make some of them up. I love that you broke your 1 project rule – makes me feel better about my ridiculous amount of ongoing projects!

10. Gjeometry says:

Lovely Hollyburn skirt, looks so nice on you! That brooch is so cute, very dainty.

11. Elizabeth says:

Super cute skirt. I am about to embark on teaching some people to sew. Any advice for a novice teacher?

12. Rosie says:

The Hollyburn skirt is a lovely pattern and your renditions have been wonderful. The brooch adds that special touch.

13. Lovely!! And what a small world this is, Ms TIny Happy is from my ‘hood! 🙂 And beyond amazing clever too!

14. Does anyone really stick to the one project rule? Even with the best intentions I currently have four things on the go, not including my attempts at knitting. I think you are doing really well to have so few projects at a time, and you have a gorgeous new skirt.

15. Jenni says:

lovely fabric, lovely skirt x

16. Stephanie says:

I love the complete outfit!

17. Bec Stitches says:

Very cute, my bloody fabric thingo doesn’t work either. Its still in there once the wash has finished! Grrr

18. You’re the second person to admit more than one project on the go – on blogs I’ve read this morning. Looks perfect for spring, which like you say has emerged from its lazy lie in!

19. jen storer says:

Brave brooches and unreliable narrators, two of my favourite things. The Hollyburn skirt is very pretty and falls beautifully. Great garb. 😉

20. Carolyn says:

Karen, you look so pretty in the picture above! Lavender works well for you. So does your new skirt which screams spring! Good luck with the sewing courses!

21. KnitNell says:

I love both skirt and sweater – they work beautifully together. One comment about fabric softeners however, don’t use when washing woollens, they can aid felting. Glad you are showing a lined skirt – worth making as skirts can often be see-through and then they need a slip worn underneath and then you have to find the right length slip ……

22. Becca says:

It’s so lovely! What a perfect spring print.

23. Emma says:

Swingy Springy handmade skirt: tick. Exquisite handmade brooch: tick and SNAP! My Tiny Happy brooch is my favourite and my best. Was I wearing mine when you came to my gaff?

I’m having a wonderful time catching up here.