Refashioners 2013 – A Purple Patch

Original Shirt

A couple of months ago, Miss P invited me to be part of a refashioning challenge, along with nine other Sewists. She sent me the above charity shop find. That’s right – an oversized shirt in heavy purple velvet. Yeah, thanks, Miss P! I stuffed the offending item in my stash cupboard and ignored it for six weeks. Then, I dragged the shirt out and turned it into this…

Refashion Close Up

You can read all the details over at Miss P’s fantastic blog, here!

Refashioned Bolero

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Refashioners 2013 – A Purple Patch

1. The sleeve treatment is inspired and I just LURVE the brooch.

2. Love that photo for the fab remake and the colours – at last some sunshine! I think you should use that pic for your Who Am I button, because a) you look so glam, and b) it truly reflects your multi-disciplinary sewing skills.

3. Jan Carr says:

It is a truly horrible shirt transformed into a very cute bolero that goes perfectly with Ella.

4. katlane12 says:

This is so cute! You have worked wonders on that shirt.

5. Philipppa says:

I really like it, well done as I too would have hidden that shirt from view! It’s also very much ‘your’ colour!

6. sewamysew says:

This looks great, I’ve never seen a velvet button up, weird! Purple looks so good on you.

7. Fabulous refashion – so clever!

8. lovelucie1 says:

Brilliant! Clever you!

9. Karen, you’ve done wonders here, I think the sleeves really make it. My mum went through a huge purple phase in the 1970s and even dyed her wedding dress – which she made herself – purple.

10. alice says:

That is one fabulously creative refashion! What a great idea, to elasticate the sleeves. And it looks brilliant with your dress (and your dog!)

I have just made this little jacket, too (finished at the weekend, not yet blogged). It’s for my brother’s wedding on Saturday and I made it in navy silk dupion. You wouldn’t believe our jackets are from the same pattern!

11. Miriana says:

This is a wonderful refashion Karen, and the outfit is simply gorgeous on you! You look stunning.

12. I think you did a great job with that shirt, Karen – velvet is so hard to work with! Well done!

13. louise says:

I love refashioning items. Its such fun. I like the sleeve details.

14. Deb Cameron says:

I love your shoes and the colour combination 🙂

15. Wow, you’ve turned an ugly shirt into the perfect finish for your outfit. It’s lovely.

16. Mary says:

Way to cool, love it. That is what sewing is all about

17. LinB says:

I hope you saved the scraps. Ella could use a matching bolero, come winter.

18. That’s lovely, especially the sleeves.

19. Great refashion Karen! I keep getting the Bolero music in my head when I look at it though 🙂 (a) ‘cos of it you-know being a “Bolero”, and b) the purple colour – reminds me of the purple Torvill & Dean wore during their Olympic performance of Bolero too!)

20. Debbi says:

I have that shirt. I think I also got it at a thrift store, too. And although I’ve worn it as is, it is HUGE. I love your refashion of it. Now I need to find mine.

21. Gjeometry says:

Ah, I love this!! Great re-fashioning job. I mean, what does one do with a heavy purple velvet shirt?

22. liza jane says:

Ok, I felt really bad for you when I saw the first shot, but you worked magic! Love what you came up with.

23. That looks so cute. Well done for making something lovely from something so awful. You are a terrific seamstress.

24. zora read says:

Love it. It’s amazing how with skill and imagination and foresight, something as uninspiring as an oversized purple blouse can become a very pretty and useful garment, that looks great on you by the way.

25. gingermakes says:

CUTE! What an inspired refashion! Great job, girl!

26. Tiffany says:

I love your refashion. I am a huge fan of outwear in velvet. Very Posh. I really like the (almost) monochromatic feel you have to your outfit with the purples playing off of each other. Also that green is a perfect compliment. Your yellow shoes are cute too.

27. great idea! thank you for your inspiration.

warm regards