Pyjama Party 1 – The Belt

Belt Centre Seam

Hi, gang! Today we’re going to make our belt. It’s pretty easy and a nice way of easing yourself into the sewing process if you’re a total beginner.

You should have cut out two belt pieces. The first thing is to sew a back centre seam into the two pieces. Pin them right sides together and sew down the shortest seam line. I then trimmed this seam down with my pinking scissors. This is to get rid of unnecessary bulk, so that you’re finished belt will lie smooth. If you don’t own pinking scissors, any shears will do! Press the seams open, as above.

Next, you press the belt in a fold down the centre lengthwise, right sides together. It’s a long, wriggly snake to press but you’ll get there. Pin the three open seams together. I used silk pins as my satin did not like normal pins.

Pinning Belt

Sew this seam closed, but leave a 10 cm (4 inch) opening in the centre of the belt. It’s best to mark where your opening begins and starts with chalk or similair. Whenever I rely on my memory or on a pin to mark an opening, I always forget and sew over where the hole is meant to be. If in any doubt about this step, the pattern instructions have excellent illustrations.

Trim the corners of your belt. It’s important not to skip this tiny step as it makes a big difference to the finished quality of your belt.

Trim Corners

‘Turn belt right side out,’ the pattern instructions tell us. To which I respond, ‘Hardy, ha, ha, ha! How?’ As I said above, that’s a long, wriggly snake of a tube. In the end, my kitchen implements saved my bacon. Find yourself a wooden spoon!

Wooden Spoon Collage

I also used a skewer to reach up into the corners of my belt piece and poke them out so that they’d press relatively pointed, rather than bulky and round.

My wooden spoon and skewer are good examples of the theory that you don’t always need specialist equipment for sewing, just something lying around the house!

P1050403

Give everything a good press, so that your belt is lying nice and flat. You’re nearly there! All we have to do now is use some hand sewing to slip stitch the opening closed.

Slip Stitch

And you have made a gorgeous belt!

Finished Belt

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Pyjama Party 1 – The Belt

1. Kat says:

Gorgeous fabric Karen. I’m getting ready for a day of sewing PJs in my PJs! Using a different pattern though (this must be pretty much the only Sewaholic pattern I don’t yet own!!).

2. Ooooh be careful with those skewers ladies. I tried that on a project, and perhaps I was a little over zealous, or indeed have a very sharp skewer but it went through the fabric and made a hole 🙁

3. Graca says:

Oh my goodness, a wooden spoon! What a great idea.

4. senjiva says:

I purchased a bit of cheeky nautical-eque fabric yesterday and I’ll be making a pair of PJ shorts from a pattern I drafted a few years ago. I like to use the end of a mechanical pencil (without lead) to poke the points when I turn out tubes. It is a little less sharp and won’t damage the fabric so readily.

5. Ruth says:

Honestly, I always machine stitch that centre gap closed on the grounds that it’s going to be inside the casing for the rest of its life! You are a very conscientious seamstress!

6. Gill K says:

A wooden chopstick is my kitchen implement of choice! 🙂

• Oh yes, w have a whole bag of them in our sewing classroom, and at home I have the extra long one used for stirring the wok. I don’t own a wok so it lives in the sewing room 😉
      Long live specialist equipment!

7. Just a bit behind. Washing my fabric and cutting out my fabric now…

8. I washed my fabric today. You have no idea what an achievement that is! I use a chopstick or the handle of one of my small paintbrushes to turn corners (depends on the fabric to some extent but whichever is closer is also a consideration).

9. Alannah says:

Such clear instructions! Thank you for posting this, I’m bookmarking it.

pinsandpipedreams.blogspot.com

10. Gjeometry says:

Nice fabric! I find turning fabric tubes a nightmare in and of itself. I “commission” my mother to do it for me. 🙂

11. Heather says:

I use a hemostat for turning so it was super easy.

12. I’m itching to make these pjs but may have to wait for the summer to get the time! I haven’t made clothes in years (more focus on soft furnishing projects) but now really want to have a go. Looking forward to seeing your progress….

13. C. says:

Personally, I use knitting needles to turn out corners and collar points. I got mine ages ago from a thrift store, but never got motivated enough to learn how to use them the “normal” way.

14. Danielle says:

I use knitting needles to when turning something right-side out – they’re usually the closest thing to hand when I’m in my tiny crafty-area!

15. Pingback: Pyjama Party with Karen @ Did You Make That? | enchantedbybooks