Home Clothes – Do You Have Them?

Home Clothes

International Readers, there are hardly words to describe quite how delighted, charmed and elated us Brits are at finally having a summer. Five whole days of sunshine!

And yet, we harbour a guilty secret. We’re not very good in the heat. I have already witnessed breathtaking examples of full-frontal sunburn. We immediately get heat rash, shiny faces and crescents of sweat in our arm pits. That being said, I’ve delighted in seeing London fashion come out to play. Never have commutes been so fashion-forward.

But when I get home, I want to be comfortable. This evening, I shut the front door, ran upstairs and climbed into shorts and the above top. Oh, and I took my bra off.

I have the dubious advantage of being single right now. Only my dog, Ella, witnesses my private wardrobe and she hasn’t howled with horror – yet. But am I alone in this risible costume of comfort? Maybe I’m the only person who, in the privacy of her own home, employs a wardrobe that would be scandalous in the street.

Do you have Home Clothes? An outfit that makes you relax in the heat? Or is it just me?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to Home Clothes – Do You Have Them?

1. Brenda says:

I have clothes that I slum around in just at home. Sloppy and sad looking yet very comfortable! Poor hubs has to look at them!

2. Catherine says:

Risible = laughable… I learnt a new word today πŸ™‚ thank you.
    Home clothes ooooh yes a comfy sleeveless jersey top and shorts! Perfect

3. lauriesannie says:

Well, I have a wonderful husband so I try to leave the “home” clothes for a nasty paint job. Couldn’t live w/o air-conditioning and iced tea in the summer time.

4. Jenny says:

Home clothes – absolutely!! Where I live (Florida) it’s hot for a long time. It’s hot, it’s humid and the sun is strong. I throw on the shortest shorts and tank tops or loose flowy tops like yours above. I only wish I could throw off my bra too – but my son lives with me and he’s almost 21 years old. No son wants to see his mom walk around without a bra. I’m waiting for him to move out so I can be truly free! lol – just kidding….. kind of…..

• Stephanie says:

This makes me laugh because my mom (a true woman of the sixties and seventies) loathes bras and used to wear a t-shirt without a bra around the home. I hated it. (I have two brothers and I have no idea what they thought!)

• Marsha says:

I’m fully clothed at all times since I don’t want my sons (17 and 20) to have any more psychological damage than what I’ve already afflicted them with!

5. Theresa in Tucson says:

Recently I rediscovered peti-pants under skirts. Wearing skirts in the summer is horrible if you have chubby thighs and peti-pants (aka culotte slips) in cotton are ideal to wear under skirts (just not pencil skirts). The peti-pant also makes a cool house garment. Here in southern Arizona we are the the middle of a heat wave; 40 consecutive days so far of 100F or higher. The monsoon rains have finally kicked in so the forecaster says the record will not be broken, merely tied.

6. IngeMaakt says:

Yes, I have home clothes! The first thing I do when I get home is change. The best days are spent completely in home clothes, behind the sewing machine. Braless indeed, until one is required for fitting purposes. I think people who don’t own or wear home clothes are weird πŸ™‚

7. Clare says:

I’m afraid I did almost exactly the same only my clothing of choice was a long straight loose cotton dress – oh so cool! My daughter went *That’s not very flattering, Mum” but I didn’t care! And yes, bra off!!

8. Catherine says:

I have home clothes for the sweaty Sydney summer – usually very short shorts or a mini dress. If need to pop down to the shop i change to longer shorts or dresses.
    And definitely bra off once i come home after work! I only live with my boyfriend so its ok

9. I’m with Theresa on the petti-pants – I made myself a pair of loose elastic-waist cotton lawn shorts last night, wore them underneath a dress to work today, and was immediately a thousand times more comfortable! When I got home from work though, I immediately took the dress (and bra!) off, and am now slouching around in the shorts and a vest. I definitely have “home” clothes – usually yoga pants and soft t-shirts. One step up from staying home in my pyjamas – but only just!

10. eumoronorio says:

Home clothes are a necessity here in the tropics. I don’t even have a/c and when the temps soar, some of my neighbors even wear what I would consider home clothes to the grocery store. Yikes! I tend towards shorter than normal hems and skimpy straps in lightweight cotton to catch every breeze possible while I lounge around drinking icy beverages! sewingforme.wordpress.com

11. Totally! Although since I work from home so much I’ve started to try and make at least a little effort for myself, more than the normal shorts and tank top I’m inclined to wear throughout summer. (Sometimes this works. Often not.) And on days when I do go to the office or go out, it’s often bra off first thing and changing when I get home. Sorry dog/cat/spouse. πŸ˜‰

12. hannah says:

Oh yes, as soon as I walk in its jeans off and trackie bottoms on. I have a selection, all very attractive. I have had to put my maternity trackies in the loft to stop me wearing them. Sooooooo comfy. The hot weather throws me tho. Cropped drawstring pants. It never gets that hot in out house.

13. Marie says:

Oh Karen…if only you could see my home clothes…so gross! In Winter they are made up of a jumper paired with some black yoga type pants or comfy PJ bottoms. Needless to say my boyfriend is not impressed. In Summer it’s even worse…it’s the shorts and skirts that are too small/short to wear in public….mismatched with whatever top I’ve worn to work that day. SEXY!!!

14. Oh my gosh, absolutely! I too have the dubious advantage of being single, but it means I can walk around the house in one of my sleep bras and a pair of shorts I’d never be seen dead in in public.

15. MarrieB says:

Yes! I totally have home clothes. Mine mostly consist of pajamas, that don’t always match! Ya, I’m a hot mess at home. Most days, (unless there are errands to run) I go straight to my room and get the jams out. The dog even waits patiently nearby until I get comfy before getting close for a snuggle. (He knows I like to keep my work clothes relatively fur free).

16. Mary says:

First of all, bless the inventor of air conditioning. Living near, and working in, hot, humid (85% humidity this a.m.) Washington DC means that I rarely stray outside except to transfer from my car to my office to my house or to the grocery store (the latter only when absolutely required) — all places with a/c. After a 100 mile daily commute, I walk in the door and immediately change into a pair of knit pj bottoms and a comfy short sleeve knit tunic…sans bra, etc. Bliss.

17. Graca says:

I live in home clothes that double as pj’s whenever possible. As far as dealing with the heat, I avoid the great outdoor during the summer months because mosquitos and I do not get along all that well. So, I spend most of my time indoor in the a/c wearing smartwool socks so my feet won’t get cold. Counting down the days to the cool days of late summer and early fall, my favourite time of the year!

18. Merje says:

Oh yes to home clothes.. Actually, the Tofino sewalong came just in time as I’d been feeling a bit guilty about lounging around in my threadbare clothes. So now I have a lovely set of lounging jammies.. and then it gets hot. Will need to make some shorts and camis to lounge around in instead…

19. Oh wow. That’s all so funny:) Of course I have home clothes too. Yucky old yoga pants. And at the moment my fave is a hoody with stains on the front. Sydney is a bit chilly at the moment. Maybes ou could do a sew along for comfy home clothes? I like the idea of petti (?peti) pants too.

20. What are you saying? Do you mean there are people who don’t have home clothes??

21. Sarah says:

My home clothes would be PJ’s. Hope to make some Tofino’s soon having missed out on the PJ party πŸ™

22. nefersecret says:

Haha, and I thought I was the only one doing this! πŸ˜€ the minute I get home the bra, the jeans and the watch and bracelets are off!

23. Jen (NY) says:

Definitely, any time of year, for: 1) comfort and 2) so as to avoid transferring the NYC subway grime onto my furniture. Depending on the weather, it’s either loose short-shorts or lounge pants (aka pajamas) + camisole/tank. I also recently discovered that there are some decent non-wired bras available. I wouldn’t wear them outside, but they are fine for answering the door. I’ll also just mention that growing up in the semi-desert part of California, as a kid/teenager my home clothes often consisted of a bathing suit. Sigh.

24. susew says:

Yes to home clothes. Sewing goofs that are wearable only in private or old stained or faded T shirts.

25. Philippa says:

My teenagers a very into home clothes. There seems to be a permanent state of pjs round our place – except for me! If I change into something too comfy I become unable to do anything other than maybe lie in front of the TV! Must be the age gap πŸ˜‰

26. Fiona says:

I’m definitely one for getting into my PJs the second I walk in the door after a hard day! (much to my fella’s disgust!) If I’m trying to make a little effort, leggings and a jersey dress are also a winner comfort wise!

27. Stephanie says:

I look hideous at home πŸ™‚ I immediately jump into my comfy clothes when I get in the door. They are not homemade, they are ragged and old, sometimes they even have stains on them or holes πŸ™‚

28. Fwaire says:

I tend to get straight into my pyjamas or jogging bottoms. Who doesn’t want to be comfy when just lounging around?! πŸ˜›

29. Awfulknitter says:

Hell yeah! And I don’t even have the get-out of being single. Thirteen years of a relationship makes you quite relaxed… But it’s not even that I have home clothes (like the bobbly ponte dress I’m wearing right now). I have a home state that sometimes allows for things like ridiculous amounts of leg hair being on show – yesterday I looked down and thought I’d had a leg transplant from a hobbit. Did I do anything about it? Not immediately, it was too hot to put trousers on and I had better things to do than hunt down a razor straight away…

30. Ginny says:

I’m currently sitting around in just a vest top and knickers. After I got out of the bath I just couldn’t face clothes- it’s 27 degrees in here! (My daughter is flaked out in bed with the quilt on the floor in nothing but her pull-up). I never thought I’d find myself wishing I owned shorts, but I have the last couple of days! One more thing for the sewing list. When it’s not el scorchio my normal home clothes consist of yoga pants and a tshirt- one step above pjs on the presentableness scale!

31. Of course! I have a few personal rules to keep things slightly civilised, such as ‘bra stays on until after dinner’, but I usually slip into my pyjamas as soon as I know I won’t be leaving the house anymore.

32. I live in Atlanta. Naturally we are hot and humid at least four months of the year. I immediately shed “outside” clothes and wear a sleeveless, loose A line dress type thing of 100% cotton. I have several. They are loose enough, and colorful enough, to wear sans bra.

33. Jenni says:

I have just made a halter maxi dress which was a bit of a fail, however I said on the phone to my husband that it’s not a total loss as I can get away with it without a bra as long as I’m at home (I’m a D cup!) His reply was ‘oh, a lazy sunday dress then?’ so yes to Home Clothes and thank the goddess for my fabulously understanding long suffering husband :o)

34. Kathleen says:

Ha ha! I don’t know whether to be happy everyone is like me or cry because we all love our rags! I have lots of home clothes- poor husband. I don’t think he read all the fine print in the “for worse” part of the vows.

One of my goals later this year is to sew some nicer home clothes. I think I’ve accepted that I won’t look like a fashion diva around the house but maybe I can make a tiny bit more effort. So you know, my husband might remember he does have a pretty wife……somewhere.

35. Pjs every time! Or shorts that are too big but so comfy! I get rid of my jeans as soon as I get back home.

36. gingermakes says:

Gosh, I hate to admit it, but I definitely have a collection of gruesome home clothes. It’s off with the jeans the moment I get through the door and into pajama pants or shorts too disgusting to run in (imagine that!). On a weekend morning, I spend hours in my towel wrap (a large towel with velcro sewed onto it so it stays wrapped)… shameful!

37. I love my lazy home clothes! No one except my family sees me in them, but at home I have to be comfy πŸ™‚

38. dokucug says:

Heh! My home clothes are so scandalous I can’t even answer the door or go out for the mail in them! You are not alone! Who wants to wear a bra if you don’t have to?

39. Siri says:

I seem to be the only person who doesn’t like wearing pyjamas or too “homely” home clothes at all. I don’t even like to have breakfast without getting dressed first! When I want to be really comfy I usually put on a short skirt/loose dress and tights, with thick sock if it’s not hot out – then I can curl up or hang about with no jeans or anything restricting me without I feeling shabby. (If I’m not going anywhere I tend to skip taking a shower or doing anything about my birds nest hair other than getting it out of the way, but still refuse to put on sweatpants, haha.)

On the opposite end, one of my former house mates, in her late thirties, used to crawl into a cow print onesie on Friday evening and not get changed or leave the house until Monday morning. I’m sure she was dead comfy too. Each to their own, I say!

40. Pat says:

Right now I’m wearing a racer back top and short set made with the softest knit fabric. I rip my bra off the minute I know I’m in for the day (or night). When I lived in South Carolina my daughter and I used to say it was a “three bra day” as opposed to the old song by Three Dog Night. The humidity and heat were relentless. I am working on making a shelf bra that will stand in for a regular bra. Oh how I hate to feel confined.

41. Maria says:

Yes I do…right now I am wearing a t-shirt tunic without sleeves. I tend to wear sleeves throughout the summer. The summer here in the mountains is proving to be quite humid at the moment. I have boys, so being without a bra is not an option :0( … but whenever I can, I do also get away with it! I am planning on sewing a softer bra that I can wear in summer. m.

42. Shar says:

I had to look up the word ‘risible’. Interestingly, google comes back with this:
    Adjective
    Such as to provoke laughter: “a risible scene of lovemaking in a tent”

I seem to have the same home clothes that everyone else does!

43. Sara Mayo says:

Absolutely I have home clothes. They are all too sexy for wearing in public. Tops that reveal all if you lean forward and skirts that reveal all when you bend over. Oh, and I’m not single.

44. Sara Mayo says:

Oh and it’s been hot this last week and over an hour ride home on a public transit bus with no air conditioning. Yesterday my daughter (10 yo) wore nothing but her bathing suit for the trip home. Comfort above all else for us.

45. Oh, yes! Doesn’t everyone? The bra comes off and the pjs come on as soon as I am in for the night. Luckily my boyfriend is all about comfort, too. I do think I need to improve some of my home clothes… the ginormous t-shirts and baggy pj bottoms aren’t the most attractive…

46. I love to relax in a fav worn out t-shirt and “holy” jeans!

47. Sandra says:

Oh, hell yes. So glad I’m not alone!

48. macstabby says:

My husband is routinely stunned at just how quickly I can get in the door, give him a kiss hello, and then OFF WITH WORK PANTS, on with snuggle pants, and off with bra. Yup.

49. Home clothes? I consider a weekend successful if I never had to take my jammies off. Unless of course it was to sew. Sewing is done in bra and panties. Easier fitting that way.

50. Anne-Marie says:

In summer, when it’s hot (anything over 25 degrees C is hot for me!) I wear long-sleeved thin cotton shirts and cotton trousers (never shorts); when it’s warm I wear t-shirts and cotton trousers. Always cotton socks too; I tend to cover up; living in New Zealand we are right under the hole in the ozone layer and have a high risk of skin cancer. And I stay indoors as much as possible. So I have no particular different home clothes, but then, I am retired. I wouldn’t think of taking off my bra, but have just bought a pair of those soft, cotton ones without underwire to try out, they might be more comfortable in summer.

51. BeingZhenya says:

I definitely have home clothes! Most of the time they are my husbands clothes, that I steal from his drawer!
    Z

52. It’s hot and humid for a big part of the year here in Brisbane and I actually struggle with what to wear, because yeah I have home clothes, but within the sewing world every one seems to sew such stylish clothes and I feel somewhat inadequate when I look at what I wear instead.

53. Jeanine says:

Oh yes, I have home clothes and with the heat and humidity we are having I am bra-less too. Unless I hear a knock on the door then I run into the bed room real quick! Normally Just me, hubby and the dog here.

54. Gjeometry says:

I have home clothes. Oh, everybody does, they just may not admit it. In fact, I used to live in a very urban area of the city where folks would go out it…..I can’t even explain what. The beauty of it was, they wore it well and just didn’t give a rat’s….you know. And, it was contagious because I would find myself popping to the Kwiki Mart in my Jammies or even other unspeakable horrors. I don’t do that where I live now, but not going to lie to you….I kinda miss it! And, the fascinating take on fashion that I saw around me. Sometimes, trousers and blouses are SO over-rated, you know?

55. Zoe says:

Home clothes are the best! Who wants to wear uncomfortable clothes just to look like fashionista in case someone answers the door? My winter home clothes are purple fuzzy bed socks, a massive mens sweatshirt and thermal leggings.

56. Rachel says:

I definitely have home clothes, that usually don’t involve a bra. If I think someone might come over I wear a soft bra – kinda like a sports bra but super soft. Since having a baby I really hate wearing a bra for some reason. My home clothes in the summer are usually super short shorts and a loose t-shirt. Or a loose jersey maxi dress that I tie up at the sides. In winter it is usually a long sleeved tee, a pair of leggings, socks and a thermal vest over the top. If I have to go outside, a fleece-y zippered jacket and trainers.

Life is too short to not be comfy I say!

57. Annanic says:

Haha that sounds pretty much like Seattle in summer! Boy do I ever have home clothes… I think I probably have just about an entire wardrobe of clothes that aren’t fit for street wear but see lots of use around the house. I just finished a (debatably) wearable thurlow muslin that are in constant house wear rotation right now. They’re a lightweight, wrinkly, soft cotton and too big but so comfortable.

58. silvia says:

I’ve been wearing my Oaxacan thrift store dress around the house lately. Except now I just googled how to spell Oaxacan I see they’re selling on ebay for over $100. I should really be more careful… lol. It’s still a cool house dress though!

59. Juliet says:

Bitchy as it sounds, in New Zealand people have no qualms with wearing home clothes in public, be it to the supermarket, the shopping mall or out to dinner. I am never impressed.

60. So funny. I think I was that 60’s Mum as I wore a bra to work and the first thing I did was take it off when I got home. Winter and summer. I thought I was the only one. And when I retired I wore a bra if I was going out and never otherwise. Now I wear one all the time after heart surgery. And do you know what? It isn’t so bad. I must be mellowing.

61. I can’t ditch my bra, because without it I get even more sweaty, don’t know why, it’s just not when it’s hot, it’s all year round… Weird…
    In the winter I like wearing a pair of sweat pants that I got as a X-mas present about 25 years ago (that’s quality for you – 25 years!). Their life looks like this:
    *liking them for comfort and style
    *not liking them so much, wearing them as pj’s when camping
    *not liking them at all, SO out of style, wearing them when redecorating/painting
    *care juuuust enough not to throw them in the trash, lends them to boyfriend to wear around the house
    *start wearing them again, because they ARE comfy, although with several holes and paint stains
    *LOVE them and wear them all the time, even fix the holes, so they’re kind of decent! Although husband isn’t very impressed. (This is now!)

Vive le homewear!

62. Sadie says:

In my current ‘role’ of dog walker extraordinaire and distance learning student, I sadly spend almost all my time in home clothes! Hurrah for the 4 legged friends who don’t judge dodgy clothes choices (in and outside the home!!). Here in Norway I don’t often get to reach for the floaty summer tops and short shorts though πŸ™

63. I am so lucky because I can dress for comfort all the time, so I mostly do. I find floaty silk/cotton or voile maxi dresses so comfy in hot summer, I wear them in and out. Braless? No thanks! The zone beneath gets too sweaty and yuk. I much prefer having those babies lifted and supported, thank you Ma’am!

64. Roobeedoo says:

Oh yes absolutely! The bra gets ditched within seconds of arriving home from work because I like being able to breathe πŸ˜‰
    I usually segue into jeans, long-sleeved tee, home-made dress / tunic / apronesque garment and a warm woolly cardigan (sometimes two layers of wool) and hand-knitted socks with wellies. Warm weather has me very confused! So yesterday it was just the jeans and home-made dress – no tee, no cardigan – gasp! But I still needed the socks to go under my wellies for an hour of light weeding before dinner. I have half a plan to make more home clothes, but it seems like such a waste of time when they will only get covered in mud / dog hair / over-enthusiastic cooking splashes!

65. It has been very reassuring to know I am not alone with the ‘home clothes’. I am wearing them now. I hope the Uk weather last s long enough for us all to acclimatize πŸ™‚

66. sewloveable says:

Absolutely love your post. I could not stop laughing. I am guilty as charge with wearing comfy home clothes. I have a draw dedicated specifically for them….lol.

67. Linda says:

I am in NH,(USA) we have had a month of heat, very high humidity and pouring rain! I can totally relate to your post, in fact I got a good chuckle from reading it… I can barely make it ’till supper to get out of my day clothes and put on something that I don’t even want to go out in the dark in to let my dog out.
    For me it is a cotton pair of pajama shorts and a tank top with a built in shelf bra….you gotta be comfy!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

68. Katrina says:

My home clothes are all giant flannel button-up shirts. The one I’m wearing right now I bought at goodwill for the purpose of refashioning, but I can’t cut into it, it’s too comfy as is!

69. The main gist of this post seems to be that we all whip off our bras as soon as we cross the threshold of home – surely this means that some sewing genius out there (Karen?) should be busy designing a bra that we actually want to keep on? I am just starting to wear normal underwired bras after 9 months in feeding bras and several months before that in maternity bras, and as much as its nice to see them back in their proper place, I can’t imagine being able to keep my boobs strapped in all day until I absolutely have to. Having breast fed two children for quite long periods of time, going braless in public is definitely not at option, but is standard practise at home, day or evening!

70. Wendyp says:

My home clothes (for warm summer days) would be a set of non-matching underwear and a tanktop… I don’t even bother with a skirt or shorts… My family just has to endure…

71. LinB says:

I most usually wear a sort of Middle-aged Woman’s uniform in public (elastic-waisted slacks and an overblouse, sometimes made of the same fabric) that has been mistaken by a three-year-old as pajamas. Therefore, I rarely have to bother changing out of work clothes for home clothes. Age has its prerogatives. They don’t often balance out the things you lose when you age, but still.

72. Elena Knits says:

I work mostly from home and wear t-shirts and sweatpants, but I change the moment I go out, even if it’s just to go to the bakery 20 meters from my place.

73. Ashley says:

My home clothes are usually a tank top and undies! I can’t be bothered with a bra-or pants for that matter-in the heat!

74. senjiva says:

Hahahah! Of course I have home-clothes. I change into PJs or shorts and a busted-up shirt the minute I get home. Pretty much nothing is as cute as that top you pictured, but I am working on making better PJs thanks to your urging.

75. symondezyn says:

My home clothes wardrobe is possibly bigger than my presentable clothes wardrobe LOL… I like to call them my “squishies” and they are donned immediately after entering the door. Depending on the weather it’s either lounge pants and a tee or shorts and a tank top. Bras are of course, not included in this ensemble. I live with my partner, and even though I’m not exactly pretty and ladylike at home, he doesn’t say anything about my squishies, because often he wears the same tee several days in a row, so who are either of us to judge? πŸ˜›

76. Alessa says:

My boyfriend is actually seriously delighted when I don’t wear a bra. Easy access… πŸ˜‰
    But yeah, definitely home clothes. Although, more often than not, I wear jersey dresses all day long – especially after a long hot day, nothing’s better than jersey shorts and a tank top…

77. PDX Gretchen says:

Oh, I definitely have home clothes, for all seasons, that I change into when I arrive home. In addition to being comfier, they keep me from messing up my outside clothes while cooking, cleaning, etc.

78. Alex in California says:

Home clothes? Yes I have home clothes that are also my eating clothes. Bad combination.

79. Maryann says:

As a single friend of mine once said, “There is no time of the day that I am ready to answer the door if someone knocks.” As a fellow single, I concur. If I have not just walked in the door or am about to walk out of it, I am bra-less in barely-there sleepwear or, at best, yoga pants and a sweatshirt if it’s chilly. Home is for comfort, and to me comfort is as close to my natural state as I can get.

80. sewexhausted says:

I am sloppy at home… sloppy but comfy! … but I am working on a prettier “home wardrobe.” I love the top pictured about. So cute!

81. Helen Johnstone says:

I have two of those tops – in different colours, I bought them in a heatwave last week in San francisco.

I have home clothes, I love to get out of my work clothes so I feel I am home and yes the bra inevitably goes, the joy of being single and past caring!

82. Trisha says:

Ha! This cracks me up! I live in Arizona, where it was 118 last week, so YES I have scandalous home clothes. In the summer, I wear the least amount possible, turn the fans up, and use lots of ice in drinks.

83. musingrunner says:

Not only do I have home clothes, some lazy days I don’t even get out of my pajamas! I live in the country where everyone is very relaxed about wardrobe. We often wear our ‘home clothes’ to the grocery store.

84. Yup my family have sloppies, as in “we are getting into our sloppies”. In this heat it’s shorts and t- shirts in the winter is fleecy trackies (I know – wouldn’t go over the door in those!) Finish work, into sloppies!

85. Definitely home clothes, particularly for the hot Summer Southern Hemisphere days…..often san bra!!

86. Julie says:

Being a stay at home Mum, most my clothes are home clothes. Though summer her in Queensland is a hot sweaty option, so my fav choice is a cotton kaftan. Sans underwear. It is a 70s option so has seen better days, it has been washed so often it is starting to fray. But strangly enough my partner loves it.

87. Linda says:

I laughed so har when you described Englishmen vs the summer heat. I live in Sweden and can really relate. Tho less of us are blessed with the ginger gene, a lot of us get soo little sun (parts of the country have permanent dusk on winter) that when it does shine… We feel boiled alive.
    When I get home from my hot sweaty job, I peel my bra of the first thing I do.
    Then it’s comfy home clothes all the way. I’m lucky, my husband has the same routine- minus the bra.
    πŸ™‚ I love it. It’s plain survival teqnique . πŸ™‚

88. I tend to think of it the other way round – I have normal clothes and going-out clothes. In my natural habitat I tend to exist in jeans with varying numbers of splats and holes and my much-abused uni hoodie. In this heat it’s quite often been down to just a vest and my boxer shorts, which is still just about enough to answer the door in if absolutely necessary …

(Also, reading this thread I’ve been reminded how much of a minority I’m in amongst women by not wearing a bra at all. Mostly I forget there’s anything unusual about it. I guess it’s not something that gets discussed in public all that much!)

89. Looks like I’m in the minority here but I don’t have home clothes really. My work dresscode is fairly relaxed, which helps, but otherwise I stay in my outside duds all day. On the other hand, sometimes I don’t get out of my pjs/towel until I know someone will see me, even if that’s dinner time. Basically I’m lazy.
    I like the idea of lawn shorts though, sound useful!

90. Pingback: Home Clothes – Tofino Style | Did You Make That?

91. Rachel says:

I have home clothes for all seasons! With 2 cats, it’s much better when I get dressed just as I’m leaving the house, and change as soon as I come home – otherwise everything is covered in cat hair. I wouldn’t leave the house in my home clothes, and frankly I was pretty embarrassed the other day when I had to answer to door in them. Poor postal person!

92. sallie says:

Oh goodness! I know I’m late to the commenting, but I have to say, as someone who lives in a year-round hot and humid climate, home clothes are a MUST!! Haha! Serious life saver. Of course I have colder weather home clothes, too, but my warm weather ones are by far the most scandalous!

93. Mandy says:

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Living in Melbourne Australia and I feel the cold – god knows how I endured the 2 years I lived in London. My winter ‘home clothes’ ensemble involves lots of polar fleece, long wool socks, skivvies. Oh yah, totally sexy! I would never leave home in this attire, but this is what I change into the moment we arrive home. Comfort & warmth.

94. jane says:

My home clothes are my night clothes and I wore them as long as possible in the day if my husband wasn’t home. But now he has retired and I have to get dressed like a normal person.

95. alterknitive says:

Oh yes, I have home clothes which I call “slobby stuff” or “comfy stuff”, some of which I also sleep in. I really don’t care what I look like when I’m slobbing around at home. Your home clothes look much nicer than mine.

96. I am a massive fan of mooching about the house in my home clothes! I work from home a lot so I have a lot of mooching time! They are generally huge, often a bit broken, mainly unflattering and always comfortable! Luckily my boyfriend does the same thing so I don’t need to worry about it! In the winter it often includes jumpers that I’ve knitted which are hugely unflattering/a bit rubbish but super warm.

97. Pingback: Home Clothes – Do You Have Them? | Attire stuff

98. msguinevere says:

As a cheapo I’ve never been able to spend money specifically on around the house clothes (we call them our “grubbies”), so as soon as a cut top gets a stain or stretched out or someother yuckiness – it gets “down-graded” to a grubby. The hubby wears them too – I think at this point his are even grosser because he only has a few! I have a whole blanket box full!
    But I still wear a bra because I don’t want them down at my knees when I’m an old lady!

99. sorry says:

testing 123

100. sorry says:

testing 456

101. annie says:

Oh yes, and my husband sports home clothes too! Around our house we call them β€œcomfy clothes” or just β€œcomfies” – t-shirts, yoga pants, pj pants, gym shorts, basketball shorts (for the husband), etc. Basically elastic waistband everything. And a set of comfies usually gets worn for a couple days in a row, because who’s judging, right?

Even though everything is pj appropriate, I do change into different sleep clothes to mark that transition, because for some reason that’s how my brain works.

102. Kathryn says:

Of course! doesn’t everyone have home clothes? In the winter it is sweat pants and sweat shirt. In the summer it is a muumuu. I have two. It is heaven to come one, shed the work clothes and put on a sport bra and a muumuu..
    Kathryn