Goldhawk Road

Goldhawk Road Collage

Someone asked me the other day if Goldhawk Road is still as good as it used to be. Um, that would be a YES. I took the above photos on a weekend jaunt there, which was no joke in this heat. I bought the below…

Satin Drying

Any hints or tips on working with satin, let me know!

Goldhawk Road

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Goldhawk Road

1. Katharina says:

do you know Gertie’s tips concerning cutting slippery fabrics? Maybe it helps…

2. Tammy says:

I grew up in the area but rarely get a chance to visit these days,

I dont know if you are already aware but, The fabric shops and famous cooks pie and mash shop are all still under threat of demolition by Hammersmith and Fulham council, please show your support by joining the FB group that the shop owners have set up.

If the council get their way, the whole block on the market side will go and be replaced with flats! (Private not even social housing!)

3. Adrienne says:

Oh, I’m so glad to hear it, Karen! Whatever happened to that rumour that it was going to be bulldozered out for the construction of condos?

4. Elaine says:

I travelled down to London from Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago for work. First time on my own. Spurred on by the great feedback on Goldhawk Road from your last meet up I decided to try and find it. What a treasure trove! We have half a dozen fabric shops in the whole of Edinburgh, this road has one every 10 feet. I was a little overwhelmed and without a project in mind probably purchased material just because it was pretty rather than useful….I will go again in a few months, more planning required!

5. Charlotte says:

Goldhawk Road is amazing! Can I add my pleas to join the group that Tammy linked to? I was just thinking yesterday that if the online sewing community got behind them it would be really powerful. I haven’t seen much about it online so I don’t think it’s been well publicised. There’s a pre-inquiry on 25th July and a public inquiry from 17th-25th Sept.
    Love the blog by the way, Karen. Have been reading for a while and always find lots of inspiration!

6. debs2748 says:

My mum used to swear by tissue paper in seams to stop the fabric slipping when sewing and ripping it out once seam done. She used izal toilet paper a lot.

7. I am planning my first trip to Goldhawk Road next week – my last chance before the kids break up from school. Any advice on how to tackle it? It must be a little overwhelming to see so much fabric in such a small space!

• Sewingjen says:

I was the lady who asked Karen about Goldhawk Road shops and I took 9 ladies to London ona fabric fest on Saturday. Goldhawk Road is certainly a feast to behold, and immediately THERE as you exit the tube. Every shop has a magnificent range of fabrics from authentic African wax print cotton bundled up into 6yd lengths to silks cottons wool and Liberty cottons for £12 per metre. We all went with details of garments which we were planning. I took photos of the front and back of the pattern envelope so that I knew how much fabric I needed for each project. No shops have pattern books. Having said that I bought 2 Libery cottons to make a Kantha quilt, inspired. Y one we had just seen in Loop in Islington. Also take cash as they don’t like cards. We found shops on the right as you exit the station had had the best fabric but they Re all interesting. A couple of shops on the other side have small pieces of leather hung at the door in case that’s what you are looking for. Hope this helps – enjoy! Would be interesting to know what you think after your visiti

8. Chris says:

oooo – so excited! I will be going to London next week, so your post is just the vindication I needed for lots and LOTS of fabric shopping. I hear you are having a heatwave, so my suitcase will be practically empty apart from of few tiny clothes. How very convenient 😉

9. Goldhawk Road is the bestest.

10. Gabrielle says:

Goldhawk Road looks so amazing – I wish we had something like it here in Sydney!

11. Meg says:

Goldhawk Road is great. But did you all know that there are plans afoot to redevelop the area, threatening closure of the fabric shops. There is a FaceBook group with regular updates on how people are working towards fighting this (https://www.facebook.com/groups/113170378743495/?hc_location=stream). It has just been to court.

12. I had my first visit to Goldhawk Road last weekend and it’s fantastic – lots of choice of fabrics and inexpensive. I had to buy a shopping trolley to lug all my purchases around much to the amusement of my husband.I told him all the trendy sewistas use shopping trolleys for their fabric shopping trips!

13. Shopping trolleys are the only way to go when visiting fabric shops! Goldhawk road is one of my favorites as is the Lewisham markets which is closer to me. I hear such great things about the Walthemstore market so thinking that may have to be visited. Any recommendations?
    On sewing with slippy fabrics, I always use paper under the seams as that works really well to hold things in place, otherwise I have wandering seams 🙂

14. CherryPix says:

Hi Karen – I did a did a bit of ‘satin sewing’ research recently…See: http://cherrypix1.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/now-ive-had-the-time-of-my-li-i-ife/ for a rundown of ‘tips’ I found useful. It wasn’t toooo challenging …helps to use the right accoutrements/notions! Good luck! PS I visited Goldhawk Rd a few years ago…wish we that kind of variety all in one place!!

15. Hester says:

Goldhawk Road is amazing; I currently live n Canada, but am already excited about my next trip back to the UK because I get to go to Goldhawk Road and buy silk organza and maybe some suiting, silks, silk cotton, and who knows what else. (Oh, and I also get to graduate, but it’s Goldhawk Road that really has me excited!)

16. Sarah says:

As this is the second post i have read this week featuring Goldhawk Road I really should go. Also was wondering if you have been to Rolls and Rems in lewisham as I have heard good things about it

17. my tip for working with satin is to wait until winter!

18. I must visit Goldhawk Road and stock up on fabric, been meaning to try it for ages.

19. Sarabeth says:

I’ve never been to Goldhawk road before. Living in north east London I tend to go to Walthamstow market but I will have to take a trip down, especially if it’s under threat. Will most definitely join the FB group Tammy mentioned. They keep trying to drive out the interesting places from central London. Do we really need another sanitised high street?

20. zora read says:

I love Goldhawk Road, as much as Walthamstow.

21. Sewingjen says:

I asked you about Goldhawk Road Karen, as I had heard about the possible demolition, 9 ladies and I are visiting from Cheshire on Saturday so it’s good to see all the positive feedback, bring it on girls!!

22. I would suggest you sandwich your fabric in paper when cutting it. It makes it so much easier.
    As for sewing, I would make a test with a regular fine needle. If you get drag lines I would try microtex needle by Schmetz (it’s made for silk and the likes).
    You can also check this tutorial http://uniquedesignerpatterns.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/tejidos-transparentes-tutorial-costura.html

BTW I am very jealous of your fabric find…it will be a great garment!

23. Geo P says:

I’m moving to London in two months, and I can’t wait to get to Goldhawk road. I hope they won’t close soon 🙁

24. anne jewell says:

best tip i have for sewing slippery fabrics–baste, baste, baste! sometimes i’ll even backstitch in a place or two if it’s a pivot point.

25. Katherine says:

Well its confession time. I have been stalking you, Handmade Jane, Cation Designs and a few others for about a year. It is now the school holidays, I have moved classrooms and, yes before you ask, I do have some paperwork to do. Including in display props and classroom management materials which is the fun, creative bit. However, it is now my time to step back into the world of sewing by finishing and launching my blog, taking my Etsy class and making something for myself. (I have spent the months building a portfolio of patterns used and recommended by the AS Team as I like to call you.) The first step is Goldhawk Road but I have a burning question. How much material do you buy if you are not 100% certain which project you are buying for?

• For a dress, three metres. For most other things, two metres. If you only buy one metre, you’ll need to be confident that you can squeeze a make out of that much material ie a sleeveless top or very slim skirt. Good luck!