The Anna Dress Goes Walkabout

Anna Dress Indian Wood Print

I’m all for multi-tasking, so Ella’s morning walk became a chance to snap my second version of the Anna Dress. I used Indian Hand Wood Blocked Cotton, bought from Our Patterned Hand in Bethnal Green. I will love this shop for ever and ever because they allowed me to take Ella in. Whilst I shopped, they made a big old fuss of her. Their fabric choice is select but so special. Whoever’s doing their purchasing is very clever indeed.

Vinegar Alley

The above shot is taken in Vinegar Alley. Isn’t that an awesome name? So ancient-sounding. I wonder what used to happen in Vinegar Alley. It’s part of Walthamstow Village, where you’ll also find a tudor house, below.Β This place continues to be a private residence. Can you believe it? There’s lots of information about Walthamstow Village’s history here. You can see why I love living here, huh?

Tudor House Walthamstow Village

The dress, the dress, Karen! Okay, this time I pinched out the excess in the upper back bodice on the pattern piece itself.Β No darts needed! I learnt this trick at Morley College. Be aware that you’ll need to also adjust the front bodice shoulder accordingly.

Pinching Out

Having made this twice now, I do wonder if the neckline facings aren’t quite matching up with the neckline drafting, but I haven’t found this a massive issue. I may need to do an FBA on the front bodice piece as I ended up adding a small pleat at the front of the neckline on this version. I topstitched the neckline and this has made a big difference to neatness.

That’s your lot! Well, maybe. Perhaps I’ll make a third version. Possibly a fourth…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to The Anna Dress Goes Walkabout

1. It’s lovely, Karen – fantastic fabric choice! Are you using a tripod/self-timer for your pictures? If you are, you’re doing a great job of it…

• Yes, I am. So this morning’s walk was me, an energetic dog, a tripod and a camera. Interesting times!

• Marie says:

Oooh, I’m so impressed that you use your tripod and self-timer in public. Can I ask, was it busy at the time? If so, do people stop and gawk and how do you deal with that? Lovely second Anna by the way!

2. Kirsty says:

I love your dress ! In fact so much I just had to buy the pattern. Thank you for sharing your fabulous dress, and I forgive you for making me spend money on more patterns πŸ˜‰

3. Elle C says:

I love the way you styled your dress. The red shoes, belt and black dog work really well together.

4. I need a dress just like that! I love the way you accessorized it, too.

5. lisa g says:

beautiful job! i love how this version is so different from the first.

6. Celia says:

Just found your blog and it’s inspiring me to try and sew. Love the Anna dress. Any tips on what materials to use please? I live in Newbury (way out in the sticks) so ideas for online material shops would be great. πŸ™‚ Thank you

7. Adrienne says:

Totally gorge. I look at this dress and think “wow, I really need to make my own Anna Dress” but then I think that it probably wouldn’t look as stunning on me. I think you should totally make a third and a fourth version. πŸ™‚

8. Susie says:

What an interesting photo shoot! Thank you for sharing your lovely neighborhood. Love the print!

9. Stephanie says:

You look lovely as usual! Love the fabric here. I’ve had to sit on my hands to not buy the pattern (no more buying this summer!). Great job on the photos too,

10. Lori says:

Fabulous dress, I really like the fabric and the red belt. Great job.

11. Gabrielle says:

Love these photos – and BTW, I think this is my favourite Anna so far.

12. Mary says:

Hi
    Love the dress. Was wondering about that pinching to remove upper back business…. do you have slightly narrower than average shoulders?

Mary in Thailand

• No, do you know what – I think I pinched out from the wrong area! I was thinking about that, walking the dog today. I think I should have pinched out from around the neck line.

13. Celia Bell says:

oh dear novice at these blog comments, thought I left one. Your dress looks fantastic, think I will try and make it, would it be too hard for a novice who hasn’t sewn for 40 years…and can you advise an easy fabric to use? thank you. πŸ™‚

14. Love this dress- soooo summery in that gorgeous print. And wonderful location today!

15. Sheree says:

Loved your 1st Anna, but have to say this is even better!

16. Alice says:

This version is so so cool – love it!

Your first photo is brilliant! And so is your doggie friend. Don’t we love our dogs!

17. Boony says:

Very lovely dress and good fabric choice.

18. Pat says:

Nice pics. I enjoyed reading the history of where you live. So many towns where in live in New England have the same names as towns in England. I’m sure there’s no coincidence.

19. Bec Stitches says:

Lovely:) Can’t wait to get my Anna, really hoping it suits me πŸ™‚

20. rachel says:

I love this Anna on you Karen. The fabric is divine! I really have to buy the Anna pattern – wish I could get that fabric too – I think you’d have a copycat on your hands!

21. Ruth says:

The dress looks great! Ella is so cute πŸ™‚

22. This is a lovely dress on you, I love the the pop of red…it totally makes the outfit!

Perhaps if you remove the excess from the shoulder tip and blended down into the armhole, it wouldn’t raise your side seam hem.

23. Joanne says:

Gorgeous dress, perfect fabric and brilliant photos!
    I’ve just tackled a Simplicity skirt (and it worked!), maybe I should have ago at a Anna Dress!

24. mandymunroe says:

Great print, perfect for the dress.

25. Gjeometry says:

Love this version of the Anna dress, great fabric too. And, the pics are great, nice atmosphere.

26. SewQuester says:

I love this dress, and I love the fabric you used – a little vintage. But most of all i LOVE the first picture with map (?)

27. Polly Pierce says:

This Anna dress is so pretty it’s definitely inspired me to have a go at a Burda pattern I’ve had for years which is slightly similar! I’ve also got some gorgeous fabric that i’ve been wondering about for even longer and now I know exactly what to do with it. Thanks for inspiring me on my journey through my stash…

28. This dress looks SO great on you! It really accentuates your curves perfectly. I love the matching dog collar/belt, too πŸ™‚ You guys are a perfect pair!

29. These photos are so beautiful and you suit the style so well – the midi length is a great casual look on you!

30. I’m totally loving all these Anna dresses appearing in the sewing blogosphere. This one is lovely too!I want one too! I extra-love the fabric.

31. Tiffany says:

Cute! I love the fabric. You always do such a great job. Vinegar Alley is adorable and I love that little cottage. I love old buildings. So pretty and so much history.

32. Margaret Stedman says:

I am really tempted to buy the Anna dress pattern but would like to know if the instructions are clear. I am used to sewing Simplicity/Butterick/Vogue etc but haven’t yet tried an ‘Indie’ as I see they are called.

33. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Regardless, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

34. Sarah says:

This version looks so fabulous on you that I have ordered a copy of the pattern. I have a larger bust and being able to see real life versions gives me the confidence that I can wear this one too. Thank you for your excellent blog!

35. Pingback: My Anna Fail | not sew simple

36. viola says:

wauw you are so beautiful in that dress!!