Amerson Undies – Free Pattern

Knickers

I had some scraps of Liberty lawn left over – just enough to squeeze out a pair of Amerson Undies, using Madalynne’s free pattern. I first made some of these knickers back in February and they’ve been absolute corkers, especially in the summer when you want natural, breathable fabric next to your skin. I had to have another pair!

Every step of construction is fun, from zig zagging the heck out of brightly-coloured knicker elastic, to the all important choice of a button embellishment for the front.

Buttons

Button

Knicker elastic came from my vintage hat box stash of ribbons and elastic. Some people would say that a hat box full of such frippery is a waste of space and money. Who are these people? Just let them come here and say that!

Hat Box

This is a really fun project for using up scraps and getting me back in the sewing groove. I can now wear Big Ben on my bum!

Amerson Undies

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Amerson Undies – Free Pattern

1. so cute, love your knicker elastic!

2. ooobop! says:

Nice drawers, Karen! And thanks so much for a reminder of that link. I felt sure there was a great freebie keks pattern somewhere but just couldn’t find it for Googling! x

3. Stephanie says:

So much fun! I love all of your vintage ribbons and buttons, etc.

4. Sweetpeagreen says:

Love these – maybe even enough to try them for myself

5. Lindsay says:

I tried these, but found I liked my Flo Jo Boutique pattern better, especially with that crazy little diamond shaped gusset!

6. lovelucie1 says:

Tana Lawn on your bum! What a giggle!

7. grtescp says:

very elegant! I have printed this pattern, but am still not sure whether or not to make it, I fear they may end up rather bulky, especially as I am used to seamless microfibre underlayers!

8. sewbusylizzy says:

I have this weird obsession with NOT sewing undies… but I’ve printed out this pattern and I am going to try them. All your versions have just been too cute!!!

9. Rita Monos says:

A hat box full of fripperies is never a bad thing!

Nice undies, need to give them a try.

10. abitofanenthusiast says:

I WANT BIG BEN ON MY BUM! Love love love the use of fabric. Bratty tantrum over ;0)

11. Amy says:

Ohemgee, what awesome pantaloons you have! Definitely going to try some of these, I just had to resign a few pairs of pants to the bin after my thumb went through the fabric (for shame) – this is just the excuse I need to make up some newbies!

12. Fabulous pants. Thank you for reminding me that I had meant to make myself a pair of these a long time ago. With my new birthday haul of fabrics, I am sure I can dust,e up a pair of undies in something suitable. Athough I’m not sure i have anything quite so fantastic. 🙂

13. Sarah says:

They are a super cute pattern, but I do wish the sizing wasn’t so depressing!

14. Pat says:

Those are really cute. I love making underwear because it uses up little bits of fabric and they are a quick make. A big plus is that they are sized exactly for me.

15. CGCouture says:

Nothing brings back the sewjo like sewing up a cute pair of undies, IMO. 🙂 So jealous that you get to wear Big Ben on your bum and I’m slightly curious if that phrase makes for some crazy search results. 😉

16. joelleharris says:

They look great! I have been thinking about making my own knickers….will try these, who can resist a free pattern :0)

17. Layla says:

oooohhh using up tiny scraps….that’s exactly what I’m in the market for. Made the hub some pants yesterday so about time I made some for me too!

18. maddie says:

oh I’m so glad that Amerson is keeping your you know what cool in the summer time! I’ve made a couple of pairs to and they have been a staple during the recent heat!

19. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed at another woman’s undies! It took me 3 attempts to read. I love how you take your sewing to new places. They are fun and the button is perfect. Hatbox?I’m upgrading today! I have a small jar well actually I have 20 small jars of very necessary frillery.

20. amynxdx says:

I printed this pattern out forever ago – I really need to give it a try!

21. Kay says:

The pantaloons look great, and thanks for the link. I am on a quest for the perfect underwear pattern. I am tired of paying an extreme amount of money for not much.

22. Pearl says:

How much do I love Liberty fabrics? Very, VERY much 🙂

23. Joyapple says:

But does the pattern match…..? They do look very fetching.

24. Jo says:

Can anyone suggest anywhere good online (or in London) to buy pretty knicker elastic? I looked on the MacCulloch & Willis website and there wasn’t much choice.

25. CUP + PENNY says:

I’m so inspired now to make my own undies! I’ve got some perfect scraps in mind…

26. rbjaneite says:

So cute! Heh – I like your hatbox full of elastic and ribbons. I used to keep mine in an old porcelain bedpan, where they made a tasteful display in the corner of my room and I could easily see what I had on hand, but when I shipped said bedpan on moving to the UK it broke. I must hunt for another one, but for now I’m using kraft stacking boxes. Okay, but much more boring.

27. ADORABLE! I am so going to make these! I have a box of vintage ribbons that were my grandmas and some will look really cute as trim for these. Thank you for sharing this pattern.