Sunny Fabric Shopping

Fabric Purchases on windowsill

I arrived on the Isle of Wight determined to take advantage of non-London prices, and this gem of an island hasn’t let me down. From car boot sales to vintage stores and even the odd fabric shop, I’ve had a whale of a time and struck several bargains. Now, I want to scurry home and sew!

Buckles

Fabric Purchases

From left to right, we have:

• 1950s bark cloth, £10 a metre and the most I’ve spent on any fabric here. I need to re-cover several cushions and this will do the job nicely.
  • Next to that, something with a nice drape that I scored for 50p at a car boot sale. There’s enough here to make a dress.
  • Besides that, three buckles from another stall. I think I paid £3 for these.
  • Some fabulous 1970s denim from a vintage shop. Soft as velvet. £5 and enough to make a skirt. I can just see the Dukes of Hazard in jeans made from this stuff!
  • Sitting neatly beside that some anchor and sail boat print. Well, why the heck not? £5.50 a metre. Can I squeeze a last summer make out of this?
  • And besides that, an offcut of jersey for £3.50. I’m thinking of making another Ruched Sleeve top from All Style and All Substance’s tutorial.

Mystery Detail

There has been another purchase, but more about this baby another day… The sunshine is calling me back! Have you found any bargains lately?

In the sunshine

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sunny Fabric Shopping

1. Marilla says:

Always finding bargains! I’m originally from Devon, so tend to bawk at the prices here in the south east. I never give up on my quest for a good deal and was overjoyed at a recent car boot sale to find a pair of 1960’s bed throws in a sumptuous turquoise and lime green jacquard for £1 each. They are edged with a turquoise fringe and there’s enough for a pair of snazzy full length curtains here. Amazing! Needless to say my husband was not quite as excited as I.

• anenthusiast says:

That’s IT. I swear I’m going to every boot sale there is until the end of Summer so’s I can find stuff like that! Well jells!

• Marilla says:

Definitely go early. That’s when you find the good stuff (although not so early you’re looking through people’s car boots!) 😉

2. Sewingjen says:

Well apart from fabulous bargain purchases on my recent (first but not last) visit to Goldhawk Road! I also had an amazing buy from the Manchester Branch of Abakhan (branches in Chester,
    Mold and Liverpool). During my above visit to London I also saw some fabulous throws in Libertys, called Bengal Kantha quilts, you can only imagine the prices! Whilst browsing through Abakhan I discovered some African waxed cotton with amazing printed designs – sold by weight. I chose 2 lengths of complimentary designs in bronze and yellow with gold overprinting, enought to make a large throw slightly smaller than single bed size. Wondered how much they would weigh, how delighted when it was weighed and the assistant announced the price was £12.50 per kilo and my stash was £10.50 for the lot!! My friends and I are now starting a small embroidery group to make one of these wonderful items, as some ladies have never tried even simple embroidery. Will let you know how we go on

3. Stephanie says:

I love your finds! No bargains for me, but I’ll keep on looking. 🙂

4. Katie M says:

I recently picked up some lovely 100% cotton prints from Rolls and Rems in Holloway. They ranged in price from £5.50 to £6.90 per metre. My girls (5 and 8) are using them to make their first quilt.

5. anenthusiast says:

Oh Karen, I do love that stripy nautical number! I’m envisioning a BHL Victoria nautical-themed blazer with that scrumptious fabric as the lining & sleeve turn-up.

6. caroljohnwagner@verizon.net says:

I admire your wardrobe color coordination……perfect for your sk

7. Pearl says:

Bark Cloth…my FAVE!

8. booketta says:

Where on the island did you snag those? I think we checked some shops in Ventnor and Newport.

9. Marie says:

What truly wonderful finds Karen! I’ve only been to IoW once for work, but I wish I could have spent more time there…all the little boutiques and vintage shops were seriously calling to me. Glad you’re having such a lovely time, I just love that last photo of you!xx

10. Michelle says:

You found some treasures! I’m sure you’ll put them to good use once you’re reunited with your sewing machine!

11. Marsha says:

Now these are the sorts of souvenirs I like to bring home!

12. Taja says:

Glad you’re enjoying your holiday. 🙂 Love your souvenirs!

Especially the print at 50p!

Isn’t it funny how we anticipate traveling on holiday–and at some point we are so ready to be at home again?

Looking forward to hearing more about that jacket. I think it’s a jacket.

Hmmmmmm…

13. I love that nautical print. I agree, perfect lining for a BHL Victoria. The boot sales round here seem to mostly sell old tat and videos. I have managed to get some vintage fabric bargains on eBay. It’s hard to tell if it’s a real bargain or just rubbish until it arrives but I have got lucky a few times.

14. Hannah says:

I’ve been in Eindhoven, the Netherlands for the summer, and was so excited to find a really good fabric stall at the market – they usually have lovely stuff from around 4-7 Euros/ meter, but imagine by complete delight when I turned up last week to find a sale, everything 1 euro/ meter! I got 3m of dupion silk, 2.5 of gorgeous wool and some other bits. Can’t wait to get my sewing machine back in September so I can crack on with sewing again!

15. Karen says:

No bargains, but lots to love. Those buckles are fabulous!

16. Paola says:

Found a treasure trove of vintage patterns from my local Salvation Army store for 25cents each about two weeks ago. All in my size!. I had to pinch myself when I saw these babies sitting there waiting for me. And I picked up a Prince tennis racket for $2, the day after I cracked the frame of my other racket. The bargain hunting gods were smiling on me that day.

17. sewexhausted says:

Belt buckles…! Those seem to be few and far between… I remember when I could buy them at the fabric store!!! (No- our big chain fabric store no longer carries them) Great find! ~Laurie

18. Sheree says:

Lovely to buy fabric when you are on holiday. I always think it adds to the pleasure when wearing it at a later date. The memory of that trip always comes back when you slip that garment on. Or is that just me?

19. SewSleepy says:

wow what a haul well done with the foraging