A Vintage Coat For Doing The Cleaning In

Coat Collage

Total self indulgence! There’s no other explanation for buying this vintage 1950s sequined and embroidered masterpiece of a coat from Oh So Vintage. It screams special occasion, but I’m tempted to wear it when the heck I like and just because. Going to the supermarket? Crack open the vintage coat! A wander down Walthamstow market? Not without my sequins and heels!

I’m wearing it with the Simplicity 4934 I made with Beth of Sunny Gal Studios. I wore this dress to my third interview for my new job! It’s definitely worth having a classic like this in the wardrobe for those taxing life events when you don’t need the extra stress of panic buying outfits.

Vintage Coat Close Up

I now really want to make a coat like this. I thought I owned a suitable pattern, but when I went to check the below, it was totally different! That’s a 60s vibe going on there, isn’t it? (HowΒ doesΒ one date sewing patterns? There aren’t any copyright details anywhere on this.)

Vogue 1256 vintage pattern

I’ve started a Pinterest board for 1950s coat patterns, but I haven’t found anything quite like my black beauty. Can anyone recommend a pattern? A more ‘day’ version of this coat may be joining my sewing queue. I say more ‘day’ version, but really I mean a back up for when this one’s at the dry cleaners. I’ll still be wearing this to the office, and the pub, and the corner shop, and the… Oh, go on, then. Maybe I’ll keep it for special occasions. What do you think?

Black Vintage Coat

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to A Vintage Coat For Doing The Cleaning In

1. I see why it was difficlt to resits! It is a great combination – and yes! the classic dress is must in everyone wardrobe πŸ™‚
    Looking at the close up of a fabric it is very nic – you can wear it every day! You will feel special! πŸ™‚

2. JacqC says:

Wear it all the time, it’s beautiful. If I saw someone wearing such a glam coat in the supmarket it would make my day πŸ™‚

3. poldapop says:

Gorgeous! It may be hard to photograph because it’s black, but could you give us more close-up shots of the inner workings/details? I love to snoop around in vintage garments but I don’t get many opportunities to do so in real life.

4. Amanda says:

I am just starting on my pastel winter coat for The Coat Off. I have chosen Burda 7041. Which is more 1960s, but I love the style of it! I love the new supermarket coat. My motto in life is…. ‘ Always look your best’!!

5. pcraine2 says:

Is your coat in very good to excellent condition? That’s really what matters with a vintage textile. Also the beading will deteriorate over time because the thread will dry rot. But again you should enjoy it as much as you can! I have a cashmere coat that belonged to my grandmother, it’s about 55 years old at this point. I wear wear it only a few times a year and I conserve it by taking to a dry cleaner who specializes in cleaning vintage garments. That’s just my thing though, not suggesting you do the same πŸ™‚

6. Janet clare says:

I don’t believe in keeping things for best. Hope I bump into you in the supermarket wearing your coat!

7. Stephanie says:

Ooh you look so pretty. I love the dress and the colours. I have had in mind for a while to make a coat that is very similar in style to what you have (in flaming red!) but I haven’t yet found quite the right pattern. I actually kind of love the pattern that you have, with the funnel-type collar!

8. Linda T says:

Wear it often; love it much! Great find!

9. oonaballoona says:

jeans, white tee, coat. instant errands goddess.

10. Roobeedoo says:

Does that make it a duster coat? πŸ˜‰
    Gorgeous!

11. Miriana says:

Next time you get a flat tyre, get the jack out of the boat and pop on the coat. Bob’s your uncle.

12. That is gorgeous, I’d wear it all the time. I used to keep clothes for ‘best’ but found I never wore them, so now if I like it I wear it. And it’s perfect for nipping to the supermarket. Definitely worth making a back up though. I’m hoping to make my winter coat this year, if I get the time.

13. Very nice. Wear it often.
    Carina from Sweden.

14. sewexhausted says:

How DOES one date sewing patterns?! I thought the same thing the other day when I was going through my vintage patterns. It is kind of frustrating because I want to KNOW what year they are. I guess I have to study up. Wonderful coat! ~Laurie

15. Heather from Canada says:

Can you post a lightened flat photo of the coat so we can see the style details? I think I have a pattern that’s very similar, just want to be sure before I send you the pattern info. Love the 60s coat pattern!!

16. Jeannie Neely says:

If you wear that coat to the supermarket you will have people wondering what sort of a fabulous life you have, and you do!

17. booketta says:

Very nice πŸ™‚

18. Michelle says:

Sew Serendipity has a few coats in the back of her book. Its on my very long to do list. I like how its one basic pattern with a host of modifications to get different looks.

19. Marmie says:

You might be interested in Vogue 1137, Misses’ Coat, Dress and Belt, circa 1950 which has a very similar look. The coat is reversible which might be fun to make.

20. its a beautiful coat, I try not to ever save anything for best – wear it and have fun!

21. Theresa in Tucson says:

As to dating sewing patterns, on some patterns you can just barely see a copyright on the edge and sometimes on the instructions. But not always, so style and illustrations will have to be the clues to the era. You could also try googling the style number and pattern label and see what comes up as far as photos on the vintage sites. Pattern labels reuse style numbers by rotating through a set and then starting over and you have to do some hunting.

22. Malve Lyborg says:

Suits you very fine.
    Wear it whenever you feel like it. I for myself have the tendency to want to dress anticyclical – if there’s a low level barbecue in the garden I suddently want to wear a silk evening gown and when I have to attend a very formal business meeting I’m longing for my denims. Usually it ends with a kind of bad compromise so you would recognize me because I tend to be the one in the room dressed slitely over or under for the occasion.

23. Angela says:

Butterick 5952 is a new pattern that has a similar vibe.

24. Karin says:

First, the shade of blue in your dress is really flattering on you. It’s definitely your colour. You should stash fabric in that shade of blue whenever you see it!
    The coat is great, and why save it for evening? I see sparkles and sequins as daywear all the time. Then again, I live in TOWIE country, lol.

25. sylvamae says:

The previous owner saved the coat for special occasions. Probably she didn’t have too many, because the coat looks almost unworn. Don’t make the same mistake! Wear it out, in both meanings of the phrase!

26. swiveltam says:

It is STUNNING!!!! Wear it to the grocery store YES! I wear my vintage everywhere and when people stop and ask me things like “Are you in a play,” or “aren’t you cute.” I hand them a card with my website (www.grilinthejitterbugdress.com). I’ve written a “vintage novel” but mostly blog about dancing, but I sew and will look through my patterns. I’ve been collecting for year. I might have a late 40s that looks similar to your black beauty πŸ™‚

27. Jenny says:

So glamorous! You obviously have a job that needs clothes like these. THIRD interview – that’s a top job! The whole outfit really suits you.

28. alice says:

That coat was just made to be yours (but that doesn’t stop me feeling terribly envious!) It’s a wonderful thing, and it suits you well.

29. MadeByMeg says:

I think you could totally wear this for everyday – the black makes it work!

30. paloverde says:

The vintage pattern wiki dates your Fabiani to ca. 1963. That seems close to me (although on the basis of the style I might have gone a year or two later). However, note the length of the accompanying dress: it’s below the knee so we’re not quite into the swinging ’60s. I would also note the style of the Vogue envelope. I know from experience of its layout, typography, and design that the pattern must be early to mid-60s. That’s just stuff you get a feel for if you spend (too much) time perusing vintage patterns. (Not that *I* ever do. πŸ˜‰ )

31. SewQuester says:

Wear it often and enjoy it. There is never better time than present for wearing great clothes, except gown maybe..

32. Simona says:

Good for you to wear it when you want. You like it then wear it. Who cares it might not follow the fashion guidelines. I think your jacket it lovely. Have you thought of trying to make a pattern out of the one you have? There are loads of tips online on how to copy garments you love without having to take them apart. Could be a challenge to do so with a jacket/coat, but you can do it. I would love to see what you come up with.

33. Adrienne says:

What. A. Beauty. Total score, Karen! This is an amazing coat. Black is hard to photograph but I wish we could amire more details of the coat. Where are the style lines, any darts? What about the collar? It would be fun to relaly see the details of the coat in a future post. (I would be interested, at least!!)

34. Susan says:

Hi Karen, Not sure if someone has already recommended this but…. why don’t you make a pattern from the gorgeous vintage coat you have. You could use the Kenneth King technique he uses for making your perfect jeans from an existing paid on Craftsy. You don’t have to pull the garment apart and it looks quite easy.

• Ha ha…you beat me to it! I was going to make the exact same suggestion. But only if it doesn’t mean that this coat languishes in the wardrobe. It needs to be out and about on a regular basis!

35. Catherine says:

So beautiful! I would wear that everywhere! get your dollars worth. I’m trying to ‘learn’ the little differences between the patterns from the 60s so i can tell them apart but alas im no help yet for this pattern of yours. But if i could take a guess, maybe 1964 or 1965, going by the red ladies hair-do… just a guess!

36. Gjeometry says:

It’s gorgeous! I see no reason to wear it to clean the toilet or take the dog for a walk. Go for it!

37. quiltyknitwit says:

You look smashing in that ensemble. You have such an artistic eye.

38. Lorna says:

Ooh, that’s lovely! Wear it with everything, everywhere – but please, not to do the cleaning in! A most excellent find, I’m just a tad jealous! And those shoes are LOVELY, they go very well with the coat. (Yes, I’m breaking the rules and starting a sentence with And. My two year old has systematically destroyed my social life; grammatical chaos is pretty much my only opportunity to live dangerously right now!)

39. Karen says:

Check out http://www.cemetarian.com to research the dates on vintage patterns. After about 1960, Vogue stopped including the copyright dates. That said, your Fabiani pattern definitely has a ’60s’ vibe to it, and I’ll bet it would make up beautifully. I LOVE coats – and you look so great in your vintage one.

40. Amy says:

Ooo, stylish lady! Gotta love a vintage find, so much more exciting than buying something in a ‘regular’ shop! Maybe make one in an interesting print for a more day-to-day vibe? Though I love the idea of you hoovering in this coat!

41. That coat goes with everything and you should just wear it whenever you feel like it! It’s beautiful.

It is hard to date vintage patterns that don’t have a copyright. I got some Vogue vintage patterns this summer and the ones from the 1950s up to 1960 had copyright dates but after that – no. The styles were 1960s tho. I’ll keep my eye out for a similar pattern. Have you checked vintagemartini.com. Tons of vintage patterns there.

42. Ally says:

Coats are my favorite to sew because they look so great and hide a multitude of lazy day dressing errors. I love sewing vintage coat patterns and putting an incredible liner on the inside.

Your coat is gorgeous! I think I would use it for making people green with envy while heading off to work, doing the grocery shopping or picking up my kids from school. Also, Cemetarian is a great resource as is Vintage Pattern Wiki. Just type in your pattern number and maker and often there will be a date given along with a description. It is a great resource I use for my vintage pattern shop on Etsy.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful new treasure!

43. Ann Johnston says:

That coat is fabulous! I would wear it either dressed up, or dressed down in jeans and Chuck Taylors. What a find!

44. LinB says:

My sister regularly dons a tiara and a home-made sash with “Miss Tammy” lettered in red glitter glue for her mundane shopping expeditions. Your glamorous coat is practically tame in comparison.

45. Fiona says:

What a find! You lucky lady!

46. Taja says:

Ooooh! Still love it–even as a coat! *lol*

It’s gorgeous and it needs to see the light of day–and night–regularly! By the way, you look terrific in the coat, and both the style and colour of your dress is perfect for both you and the coat!

47. Susan says:

For dating patterns, I’ve used a brilliant book called ‘Blueprints of Fashion:Home Sewing Patterns of the 1950s’ by Wade Laboissonniere. It has a reference section at the end which has the main makers, pattern numbers and years the numbers were valid from… I just love looking at the pictures so much, I bought the 1940’s one too, but the 1950’s one is one of my absolute favourite books.

There is the also the vintage pattern wiki – wikipedia for vintage patterns!
    Again – a brilliant source where you can type in your pattern number and hopefully someone will have referenced it for you.

Both book and the wiki are addictive – I’ve wasted far too much time and now have so much inspiration I don’t know where to start first!

48. sewruth says:

Check out Vogue 1137 – it’s a bit swingier than your beautiful vintage one but same sleeves and easy wearing. See this http://corecouture.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/curtains/. It’s the second one I’ve made

49. Dea says:

Ok, I pulled out my 50s coat from my Grandma and thought this over.

I’m going to give a big AMEN to whoever mentioned “swing coats” up there, because that’s what these are.

One of the main details of these is they are VERY full in the back. The front is basically a normal coat, but lots of full ness in the back.

Mine has 3/4 sleeves or so, but that could also be because my Grandma has much shorter arms than I.

Looking at that 60s coat, I see lots of vertical lines. The 50s didn’t do that vertical lines thing. Even sheath dresses and pencil skirts had some diagonal to give width. So my coat has a really exaggerated diagonal shoulder/arm seam, almost like a raglan, but not all the way up to the neck. I also have a 2-piece sleeve with the top seam running all down the top of my arm, and the under seam running parallel. The back piece is divided into two and has a seam running down the middle. Mine also has a HUGE, very exaggerated shawl collar. That little mandarin doohicky on the 60s coat? Would not have been used for this kind of coat. You want some kind of wanna-be tailored but still floppy and extravagant collar.

Mine also doesn’t close in the front. It has no fastenings. So it has a beautiful drape when open, and I COULD wrap it all the way around me if I needed to and belt it, but if it’s that kind of weather, this is not the coat to wear.

It’s hard to tell from the pictures just what the actual seams in your coat are, but it has a similar enough feel to my Grandma’s coat that I figured it couldn’t hurt to analyze it a bit. πŸ˜›

50. Dea says:

Also! If it’s not a swing coat, it might be a Redingote. Do a google image search for 50s redingote, and you might find it. (Don’t forget to hit 50s, as it’s been a popular style since the 18th Century!)

51. Silvia @ Lisbon says:

I love this type of coats. I saw one on Burda that i want to do one day… Burdastyle 08/2010 model 102B πŸ™‚ check it out

52. Kate says:

That pattern reminds me of the orangy yellow coat Audrey Hepburn wore in Charade. I’ve been looking for such a pattern so I can match it! I’m sure it has a window, but that movie was from 1963. I don’t know whether that helps or not though.