Simple Sewing – How To Sew Coasters

Coasters

Are you like me right now and struggling to find time or head space to sew? Do you also have a dog who chews everything, including your coasters? Time to make some more as a simple sewing project! Hopefully, Ella will leave these ones alone.

MATERIALS NEEDED

Coaster Equipment

• 4 squares of quilt batting, approx. 14 x 14 cm
  • 4 squares of cotton, approx. 14 x 14 cm
  • 16 squares of cotton, approx. 7.5 x 7.5 cm
  • Neutral-coloured thread
  • Bamboo turner or butter knife
  • Fabric scissors
  • A sewing machine

Squares

INSTRUCTIONS

Piece together four of the smaller squares and sew, using a narrow seam allowance. Consider the balance of your colour combinations. I worked with two strong colours diagonally opposite each other, balanced by two lighter colours diagonally opposite each other.

As you work, press the seam allowances to one side. Quilters don’t press their seam allowances open.

Coaster Seams

Place one quilted square right side face down on the right side of one of your large cotton squares. Lay them both on top of a square of batting. Sew around all four sides, but leaving a gap in the sewing. This is where you’ll turn the coaster right side out.

Trim your seam allowances and corners everywhere, other than at the opening.

Trimming Seams

Turn your coaster inside out and use a bamboo turner or a butter knife to poke out the corners. Be careful! Don’t poke too hard, or you might split a seam!

Bamboo Turner

Turn the raw seam allowances into the coaster and press the whole coaster.

Preparing To Stop Stitch

Top stitch around each coaster. The top stitching will seal shut the gap in your seam You’re done! Four reversible coasters made.

Coasters ii

22 Responses to Simple Sewing – How To Sew Coasters

1. booketta says:

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing 🙂

2. ooobop! says:

Beautiful! Completely understand the need for quick projects. Reminds me that I need to get on with my quilting too!

3. dani says:

awesome! love it!

4. Kim says:

Cute! Great scrap project too..

5. I like to sandwich some Insul-bright into my coasters to protect the surface underneath from the heat of a cuppa.

6. Stephanie says:

How cute! I never thought I would sew coasters but in fact I think this is a nice idea.

7. Ros says:

Actually, quilters have huge ongoing arguments about whether to press seams open or to the side. 😉

8. Ayana says:

Thank you, this is a great idea (and might help me learn a bit about quilting)

9. Flisstee says:

This looks like a great project for a starter sewer like me !

10. Karen says:

May I offer a tip? I learned this one at the School of Hard Knocks. If you think you might ever want to throw your coasters in the washing machine, it helps to sew a few quilting lines throughout the piece to secure the batting, as it may not be caught in the top stitching around the edge. Otherwise, the wadding may get bunched up inside and you will never get it smoothed out without taking the thing apart.

11. Julie says:

This I might convert this idea into placemats! I cannot find any I like… May just get some sewing done in the middle of moving house!

12. Juliet says:

Very nice! And I’m guessing Ella has come to the chewing stage? I sympathize as I’ve been there – Buster destroyed the beautiful bed I made him. They have no idea the lengths we go to…!

13. LubbyGirl says:

I love quilted coasters. I’ve made a bunch myself, but not in this pattern. Now I need to try this too.

14. Janet says:

Thank you Karen – this has come perfectly timed. I have three little girls all keen to get going on sewing. It was spurred on by my eccentric middle girl (aged 5) who made herself a pair of paper shorts last week. After the disappointment of sitting down and splitting them in two, I introduced her to my sewing machine and some scrap fabric. Now they all want to have a go. Your coaster project will be just right for them to try, I think… Thanks again!

15. SewQuester says:

I love these coasters! I just finished a little bigger project made of squares – maybe I’ll post it tommorow if i have time to make pictutes.

16. louise says:

What a great idea! I’m going to give this a go, thanks!

17. LinB says:

Take the scraps left from making these delightful coasters, cut them into strips about an inch wide, tie them into long strings, and crochet yourself some good thick pot holders. (Double the strands for really thick pads; spin the strands for a really durable, thinner pad that’s easier to crochet.) Or go mad and crochet an area rug.

18. A Fine Hand says:

Cute! Clever! I can make coasters from all the lovely little pre-cut packs I see by MODA fabrics. I’m not up to making a quilt right now but coasters and placements I can use. Thank you for stirring up the idea for me.

19. charina says:

Very smart. It’s always great to learn simple but practical projects like this.

20. Pingback: Spelling Out Sewing | Did You Make That?

21. Pingback: Baking, Babies, Quilts, Wine, Stew – Recipes For Life | Did You Make That?