The Yarn Shop Made Me Do It

photo (5)

When work takes you to a street like the above, and when you discover a wool shop on that street and when autumn is settling in, and when you feel the need to knit a scarf for yourself or someone else (but probably yourself), it’s only right to buy some wool. Right?

What would you make with three balls of snuggly Debbie Bliss Riva? Do you have autumn knitting plans?

photo (5)

Debbie Bliss Riva wool

This entry was posted in knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to The Yarn Shop Made Me Do It

1. Jacqui says:

Wow! I live near Oxford and I am ashamed to say I didn’t know that store was there! I’m knitting a lattice scarf to go with my new coat. http://www.thestudiokc.com/documents/LatticeScarf.pdf
    I’m very excited because I get to use the size 2 red plastic needles I bought ages ago in a charity shop! The wool is just some acrylic called Picasso which my mum gave me, but it changes colour from blues to greens for a bit of added interest. I’ve also been making stuff for Christmas presents (Ssh, don’t tell anyone!) and have a few unfinished mug cosys, a rainbow crochet scarf and some crochet monsters. I enjoy the knitting and crochet more than the sewing up!

• I live near Oxford too and I only found out about it last week, it’s new-ish I think. I don’t think that it’s been around as long as Darn it and Stitch on Blue Boar Street. Really, really want to investigate. Is it in Summertown?

2. That looks so yummy, can’t wait to see what you do with it. I started a crochet scarf but can’t quite get into the pattern at the moment, might have to try something else.

3. Juliet says:

I can’t knit a straight line to save my life – I’d bribe a very talented friend to knit me something pretty and lacey though…! What a beautiful autumnal colour, it’s delicious.

4. Beautiful choice of yarn. I got Debbie bliss extra fine merino recently. She has a beautiful range. The pict of the street it’s just sweet. That’s what I love most in the UK, the uniqueness of different roads… So full of personality

5. Kelly says:

When I saw thy first photo, I thought it looked like North Parade, I used to work just round the corner from there and it was our regular haunt for lunch. Unfortunately the yarn shop wasn’t there at the time, or maybe that should be fortunately…I must go in there at some point, what’s it like?

6. I’m a new knitter, but I’ve got some big plans this autumn/winter. After dawdling over a jumper for a few months, I’m frogging it and starting again, and this time no dawdling! And I’m currently knitting lots of baby things for my soon-to-be niece. And hopefully a hat or two.
    I figure (hope) that the more I practice, the quicker I’ll get.

7. victoriapeat says:

I have last year’s projects to rescue! I have a Beatnik that has sleeves that need re-knitting and a Gretel that needs a new placket. Happy knitting x

8. I love your yarn choice. My knitting is a little basic, hand warmers and the odd capelet and with the nights getting cooler it certain does set the mind to a little gentle knitting.

9. Marianne says:

It’s between the Miette cardigan and a scarf. My guess is the scarf will win, sewing a French jacket will take up a lot of my time so something simple is needed as a side project.

10. Sewingjen says:

Just rescued a project which I “put to one side” last spring as it was a winter cardigan which I was having a problem with. Now recommended and finished! So I can start the autumnal knitting of socks and shawls some for me and some for Christmas presents. I find no problem in buying presents for my girlfriends but their husbands can be a nightmare, especially when you tend not to spend too much on them. One of their husbands was delighted by a pair of handmade socks and when I visited them some time after The festive season made a point of telling me that the socks were fantastic and would be a great present for him this year also – result!

11. My goal is to conquer ‘toe up’ socks this winter. I bought some lovely yarn yesterday to start – purples and pinks. I only want to learn the ‘toe up’ method because I hate grafting the toe when I finish knitting the other way up!

• Sewingjen says:

Do try toe up socks – and if you can do the two together method, as once cast off you have a pair completed! Once you have done toe up you will never go back to top down – no tricky counting or markers, heaven. I am on Ravelry if you need help. Try Lacery by Knit Purl Hunter she’s great, you don’t have to knit the lace just follow her very detailed pattern – good luck!

12. shivani says:

I’ve just cast on a baby cardigan and (ahem), need to get started on some knitted socks (which were my sewlution for the year!). I know what you mean about the autumnal turn making knitting seem like the right thing to be doing.

13. Marie says:

Gorgeous! My knitting ground to a halt this year sadly! I was doing so well last year, but then ended up with stuff I didn’t know how to finish…and I got disheartened. I need to find a friendly group nearby to keep up the knitting momentum and to help me when I stumble!

14. CR says:

— Imagine what it’s like if North Parade (and the shop opposite) is your nearest source of work place sandwiches! And you work with two knitterly, extremely well informed librarians in the same building (did you know the Bodleian has not just Wittgenstein (blah) but knitting patterns(woot!)?)… Tis just as well I’ve already cast on a cuddly cabled Aidez cardi then, before I read your blog – or it’d almost certainly have to be in the same wool you’ve now alerted me to above!

15. True, you just have to go inside and enjoy it!

16. Ashley0107 says:

I’d knit myself a scrunchable scarf. I love that pattern, makes a very squishy and cosy scarf 🙂

17. Um, hello, some of us (Floridians) aren’t feeling the autumn push for scarf making. If I crochet now, then I might have a chance at wearing it in January. Anyway, cute street, cute shop, nice wool. Enjoy.

18. oh, that looks like lovely wool! and a lovely shop too.

i have similar accidents in fabric shops. i wander past. then i make an excuse to slowly wander past again, looking out the corner of my eye… then i wander past again, stare (nose pressed) through the window at the fabric. and wander, oh so casually in, just to have a look. then forty five minutes later i skip out with half a dozen bits and pieces of fabric and a hazy plan to make something out of them… never planned!

19. joanfrankham says:

i love yarn shops, now that the cooler weather is here, and have started a few projects already.

20. alice says:

I have millions of knitting plans, and almost that many items in progress!

These yarn shops are evil and must be stopped! But your yarn does look lovely!

21. lovelucie1 says:

So many cowls, scarfs and mittens to knit. It’s a good thing I have to travel a distance for a good yarn shop – that’s all I can say.

22. Emily Murray says:

Yarn shops make me do strange things too. I go all fuzzy eyed and start stroking things and cooing a lot. And then spend mountains of money…. I don’t really have autumn knitting; I jump straight from summer to Christmas. Currently on cupcake mittens for a present, with a christmas stocking and some christmas tree bunting planned! As for the DB Riva, I think that somewhere out there is a perfect cowl pattern.

23. Getting ready for Autumn/Winter knitting is the only exciting thing about the end of the summer! I’ve got some lovely Debbie Bliss Andes to do this cowl http://mylittlecitygirl.com/2011/12/meringue-hand-knit-cowl-free-pattern-for-kids-and-adult/

24. Steph says:

What a pretty little yarn shop (and nice choice of yarn). Autumn for me signals knitting, so I have a lot of projects in the queue. One thing I must start soon is a jumper for my partner. I make him one almost every Christmas as he asks for one every year! I at least try to surprise him with a new colour and pattern though. 🙂 Right now I am working on a little red jacket just for me.

25. booketta says:

Once I finally finish this summer scarf I started so I had something to do in the caravan. But with such wonderful weather we were out so much the opportunity didn’t arise to knit. I want to knit something for me but I don’t know what yet. It will have to be fairly simple as I have only taken up knitting again recently.

26. Joanne says:

Gorgeous wool! I’d do a Honey Cowl in large http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/honey-cowl is is the cosiest cowl I’ve make!

27. paigesato says:

ok, that’s just about the damned cutest street i’ve ever seen. ever. Did you eat at the creperie?

28. I’m going to punch that street, it’s so charming! I like Joanne’s idea of a Honey Cowl, that would be quite nice I think. I’m madly knitting on a eye-seering-green pullover at the moment and am in the mood to knit lots of warm cushy cardigans and pullovers for winter!

29. Clare says:

As a new crochet convert I went to Yarndale this last weekend and came away with a bag full of lots of lovely yarn and a head full of projects! The yarn (especially the silk blends) made me do it!

30. sewsleepy says:

I would love to be able to knit properly- been trying to make a acer cardigan – over ambitious i know- but i forget which row i’m on and have to start over again. I love crochet though i only seem to make granny squares – love the colour of the yarn

31. Colleen says:

I just saw a beautiful cowl on Ravelry last night. It’s called “Ingot” and the designer is Lisa Mutch. It is incredibly beautiful and looks different from a lot of cowls! Other than that, I’m finishing a vest and starting to frag one cardi and starting over on another cardi for my girl.

32. Amy says:

Ooo, what lovely yarn! Very autumnal colours as well! I find ‘the charity shop made me do it’ is a common theme for me. “It’s so pretty…and so cheap…and if I don’t buy it now it won’t be there next time” = massive stash and place booked on a channel 4 hoarding documentary.

• With you there Amy, but you forgot to mention that you are in effect “giving” to charity when you buy stuff from their shops too! It would be rude not to. 🙂 I am currently attempting to make my very first knitted garment – a very basic garter stitch jumper, but done on 9mm needles so it won’t take me all year. I am determined to have it done by, um, the end of the month, or perhaps next. Let’s just say the end of the year.

33. symondezyn says:

So pretty & cuddly!! I’d make a cowl!! 🙂

34. I would make a nice snuggly cowl. The colour seems perfect, and the yarn looks very warm.

35. EmSewCrazy says:

Aww what a cute little street. Love the color of that yarn. I need to pull my next knitting project out.

36. Such a cute shop! I would have bought everything in there! I’m finally knitting my first project too.

37. Ute says:

Such a lovely yarn shop (and such a lovely & helpful owner)! I think it only opened last December, so well done for finding it, given that quite a few Oxford knitters don’t know about it yet … I went in there the other day to buy some Regia sock yarn in order to knit my very first socks ever. I can heartily recommend the free Ravelry download of “Hermione’s Everyday Socks” to any other sock novice, by the way. Wonderfully easy but yet very nice indeed.

38. Daniela says:

I have just started to knit my first cardigan the Miette, also out of wool from Debbie Bliss 🙂 I love the colour of your yarn and maybe you could knit a pair of mittens with a matching bonnet?! I am looking forward to what you are going to knit!

39. Pingback: Toe up socks – no sewing needed | The Material Lady

40. Pingback: A Safe Haven Scarf | Did You Make That?