How To Refashion A Maxi Skirt

Maxi skirt

I bought this jersey maxi skirt in New York, but quickly realised that swathing the lower half of my body in pale grey was not a good look. Shame. The jersey was great quality, with lovely drape, exposed seams and an interesting bias cut detail. I didn’t feel quite ready to take this straight to the charity shop, so I got the scissors out instead!

Skirt and Snood

I turned my maxi skirt into a little skirt, with matching cowl! I sliced across the skirt at knee length. The top half was hemmed and became a skirt, waistband already in existence. The lower half of the skirt was a huge tube that was hemmed and became a cowl. Simples.

This is the perfect outfit for a casual weekend when comfort is pretty much the only concern. Both skirt and cowl were hemmed, using a double needle and following Fehr Trade‘s top tip to really loosen the tension on my bobbin. I also used So Zo‘s top tip to handle the jersey as little as possible, to avoid the hem stretching out.

hem detailWhy don’t you take a second look at your less-loved items and see if they can be adapted? Anyone else done any refashioning lately?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to How To Refashion A Maxi Skirt

1. That is a perfect idea – I have a similar long jersey skirt that I only wear around the house. *adds to project list*
    I’m currently putting together some dresses for my daughter with old dresses of mine – fingers crossed they work out!

2. Thanks, Karen! I’ve got 3 from when I lived in the Middle East. Mine are linen, though, so any other suggestions for the excess?

• Marie C says:

How about using the excess to make a vest? Or one of the two colors in a 2-color top or blouse, such as Vogue 8877? Or a cute matching bag. These are more work than a cowl, though!

3. lauriesannie says:

I have a navy wool skirt that I have remade 3 times. I finally like it and wear it! I absolutely love what you did with yours.

4. Sheila says:

I often buy clothes with the sole purpose of remaking/adapting, particularly sale buys. A judicious dart, pleat or tuck can turn a shapeless top or dress into something more stylish. And don’t forget the value of a change of buttons to spruce up an outfit.

5. Carolyn says:

I like how you used all of the fabric for such a cute new outfit!

6. Tracey Welsh says:

I generally ‘refashion” something after I’ve stuffed it, cracked the sh*ts, shoved it in the cupboard for a few years, eventually dragged it out again and made it into something totally different. Skirts have become tops, jackets have been reborn as skirts, you name it, at some stage I’ve “refashioned” it. Lmao!!! A patchwork quilt top has even become a much worn skirt!!!

7. Steph says:

Love what you did with this. I don’t have anything to refashion at the moment but will keep this in mind in future. Oh and very cute shoes!

8. sewexhausted says:

Clever! I have several things I would like to refashion but my sewing queue is always so large I never start them. I should make a concerted effort to get going on them tho! Your outfit looks comfy and cozy! ~Laurie

9. Maga says:

Last week-end I managed to re-fashion 2 wrap-round skirts into 2 straight skirts. Both was done to try out 2 new patterns and turned out good enough to wear so that was one really good week-end and very stash saving.

10. That looks great – and I love the use of the excess fabric as a cowl. Enjoy wearing it!

11. Great ideas. I look at unworn items in my wardrobe and have “ideas”, but I’ve been to cowardly to take the scissors out. Afraid I’ll ruin things. This post will remind me that great clothes come of being brave. Thanks

12. Katelyn says:

How cute! I have lots of maxi’s, I’m sure I could do this with one of them 🙂

13. gccmom says:

Awesome!! Love the look.

14. susew says:

It’;s great when a so-so item can be saved.
    I recently refashioned and updated an old dress I couldn’t get rid of but felt out of date and wasn’t wearing.

15. Fibregal says:

Jeans, jeans, jeans! Anyone else out there got a stash of them, bought with high hopes that *this* pair is the magic one? Finally plucked up the courage to straighten some bootcut legs and boy was that worth doing! Not perfect but at least wearable! Such an easy bodge job I’ll be doing the rest as son as I have the time.

16. wow so clever and stylish!

17. Lisa says:

Lovely! I’m trying to refashion a bit more lately, bought a white stuff dress last year mainly because I loved the fabric but was a halterneck which i didn’t like and shall we say i didn’t fill the top up as much as the sizing! So chopped it off to make a skirt instead. Worn it loads this summer now so feel quite chuffed!!

18. I just cut a too small dress in half to refashion into a skirt- it was surprisingly rewarding!

19. LinB says:

Removed cuffs, shortened sleeves, sewed cuffs back on — and added a wealth of black lace seam binding to the outside of the princess seams on a blouse which I love but which wasn’t quite … right, somehow.

20. Oh good grief is that such a snappy change! Love that you re-purposed part of it into a smashing cowl, too. And it must be so drapey and cozy. Great ensemble!

21. Lorna says:

Oh, that works so well! I recently got a gorgeous, huge yellow and grey scarf for £5, so I decided to make a flowy batwing top out of it, a la Florence (and the Machine, that is, not Florence from the Magic Roundabout. Whaddya mean, I’m showing my age?!!). Fast forward a couple of evenings of gentle pootling at the sewing machine (and just a little bit swearing, it being very fine, soft fabric), and I have myself something that definitely flows, is most certainly batwing-y – and looks EXACTLY like a hairdresser’s cape. Not quite the effect I was after…!

22. Zoe says:

Yup. 🙂 I am currently in possession of a soft blue grey knit maxi dress, and I’m all scissor shy because of all the options I can see! Do I rework it as a maxi that fits in a more flattering way? Alter the neckline? Keep the neckline and work around it? Abandon the maxi idea completely and make a pair of lounge pants? One of the loveliest things about such an exercise is that it really pushes me to think carefully about what I am going to do and how. I enjoy the challenge of the limitations of the piece. And the way you have to think about it with a completely different approach. I now go shopping looking at things not only for what they are, but also what they could be. 🙂

23. anne jewell says:

i did the same thing with a pink jersey tea-length skirt last spring. with black tights, shoes and tee
    shirt, it looks entirely different now.–anne

24. Pingback: Red skirt | Rosaria De Caro

25. YAY, a refashion!!!

Love it.

26. Kimmy Sue says:

Love the look! So much fun to read what you’re up to. Thank you for sharing!