There are some sewing essentials it’s worth stocking up on. If you’re anything like me, you’ll find yourself doing this without even noticing. After several years of sewing, I have multiples of certain items:
- Elastic in varying widths. So why do I never have enough of just the one I need?
- Myriad zips, though the 9 inch black invisible zip I invariably need is invariably missing.
- A ramshackle collection of thread, some cheap and fluffy, some less so. I’ll use it all!
- Good quality interfacings. I’ve found this to be one of the best investments, bought from here. I always have a selection in my stash.
- A variety of lining fabrics. If you see a lining you like, I suggest buying a couple of metres. You’ll never know when it will come in handy.
- New needles for the sewing machine.
- Ribbons, lace, clear elastic, seam binding, stay tape.
- Buttons! You can never have too many gorgeous buttons.
Pins and pincushions. I have over six pin cushions and I always keep one in the bedroom! These Merchant and Mills entemology pins have proved themselves to be invaluable.
Buying fabric is the fun part of sewing. It’s always so annoying when you get home and realise you don’t have the right bits and pieces to actually start sewing.
What do you have loads of? Anything you recommend stocking up on?