The Only Fabric I Bought!

Fruit SilkThis is the only fabric I bought in the Garment District! But it’s silk, it was in the sale, and for £14 I became the happy owner of three metres. What would you make with it? The width is pretty narrow. I think it would be perfect for a Sew Dolly Clackett dress. The deadline for the competition is nice and roomy. (Don’t you love a reasonable deadline?) Unfortunately, my life is hellishly crammed right now and sewing is more an aspiration than a reality. Time management tips, anyone?!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Only Fabric I Bought!

1. sewbusylizzy says:

I do a little bit often. Pin a step over breakfast. Sew when I get home before dinner. Just little bursts here & there – all the time. You really can get a lot achieved!

• Jen (NY) says:

I agree. My work schedule makes extended sewing time a true luxury. I often do a little bit in the evening to decompress, 15 minutes to an hour, whatever I have time for. In this situation I think it is important to have a mind set of enjoying the journey rather than racing to the finish.
      ~Jen

• sewbusylizzy says:

I also find that when I sew in small chunks I make less mistakes. If I do have a large chunk of time I try to finish a project and I rush. When it’s just 15 minutes you just do one step or prepare the next seam. It’s slower but more meticulous.

2. victoriapeat says:

No tips on time management I’m afraid, drowning in things to do over here!

That silk is fabulous though…3m for £14, what a steal!

3. lauriesannie says:

Beautiful fabric. I am totally in awe of your self-control. That place is like a candy store to me.

4. Fooniks says:

How adorable! Perfect for a fun summer dress 🙂

I am probably the worst person when it comes to time management. I take on too much and then I am too stubborn to admit defeat and then I’m just like “Sleep is for the weak anyways”

5. Emma Jayne says:

I’ve been getting up at 5am to squeeze in 30 minutes of sewing before going to work. Exhausted? Yes. But it’s worth it to get a daily sewing fix.

6. i am also drowning in projects/ sewalongs/ inspiration/ ideas/ patterns/ fabric. but i agree on doing little and often – it works for me especially with a 5 year old who wants to spend time with me all the time when i’m not at work. but i can pin sitting next to her on the sofa watching a film or handsew. and i do most of my blog reading in my lunch hour at work or during my commute so that it doesn’t take over my sewing time.

7. Cassiefairy says:

Oh my that fabric is gorgeous! I’d make a cute skater dress 🙂

8. B & the Moon says:

Being a fan of both a bold print and a bargain, I hereby award you a round of applause! No tips on time management I’m afraid…other than sleep less and drink more coffee, it’s how I attempt to get through what I need to do, however you need an understanding family who won’t commit you when you spend an hour laughing manically at the word ‘sleeve’ (for example).

9. helen says:

That’s a lovely print! Looking forward to seeing a finished garment.
    As for time management I don’t really have any tips but recently I’ve had to say to myself ‘get a grip, it’s a hobby – finish it next week….’

10. Mrs.Smith says:

That print is gorgeous!!

I am a “little bit at a time” and “sew before the people in my house start to wake up” and “sew while the people in my house are preoccupied” person. To be fair, the people in my house are big people who can manage themselves…

11. EmSewCrazy says:

Hahaha, time management, haha, let me know when you figure it out! I had a summer dress planned that fits perfectly with Dolly Clackett’s challenge. I’m pinched for time too but with that nice deadline I’m hoping I can get it done.
    You’ve got your fabric now all you need is your pattern! Pick a TNT so you can whip it up quickly!

12. I love it. It screams sophisticated Carmen Miranda. Arriba!

13. pink pineapples, I want it, send it to me please 🙂 no helpful tips other than I never put away my sewing projects so I can jump in and sew whenever possible.

14. Helen says:

I would dream for awhile about the Dolly C dress but then realise that I would only end up saving it for special occasions and so actually make a simple silk shirt and wear it loads with smart skirts or just jeans. If i had leftovers they would become this tunic http://mellysews.com/2013/02/high-low-shirt-tutorial-pattern.html without the lo if short of leftover and a little placket added to the front. Thanks for the dream inspiration. Helen

15. yumyummoany says:

That dress will look lovely in this fabric.

16. Fiona M says:

Oooh! Lovely fabric, and as you say, perfect for a Sew Dolly Clackett frock! I too am in awe of your self control. (I splashed out at Mood on 3m each of beautiful white eyelet cotton, and some navy & white striped ponte, both of which cost a heck of a lot more than £14, but they are so much better quality than anything I ever see in the UK).

17. megthegrand says:

I try and sew a half hour a day. I figure I can usually find half an hour somewhere, or even 15 minutes if it gets too crazy. LOVE the fabric – definitely perfect for a Sew Dolly Clackett dress!

18. maddie says:

The last time I went to the garment district, I only bought a couple of yards but spent a fortune. I’m all for buying less but buying right. What should you make? The possibilities are endless!

19. Time management, what is that? Wish I had some sewing time. Your beautiful fabric screams “tiki dress” to me.

20. yosami says:

I’m so impressed by your self restraint in the Garment district! The fabric you bought is a cracker! How about a BHL Flora dress? That would be lovely and floaty in your silk! In return, please tell me what to do with 5 metres of linen/cotton denim!

21. I am going to echo the 15 min a day or one seam a day method for time management. Slow progress is still progress. Good luck 🙂

22. Renay says:

Oh my god! That is the most amazing fabric ever??? Who makes it? I.must.have.some.
    Cannot wait to see what you do with it 🙂

23. michelenel says:

Oohhh! I like it a lot. I am one of these people that leaves so much to the last minute and then have to rush to get it done, but I do work well under pressure so it isn’t so much of an issue. I agree with one of the other commenters about doing a bit at a time and simply enjoying the process no matter how long it takes – after all, a tiny bit done each day is more than you would have done if you hadn’t done anything at all! Enjoy. Michele

24. Aussiegirl says:

Why is it the only fabric you bought, Karen? Did you find the selection not so great? Sometimes when there is a huge amount, I can feel almost overwhelmed & end up not buying much at all! Whilst we have some lovely fabric stores here in Australia, I must say I’m a little jealous of your choices in gorgeous London!

25. Fadanista says:

I love that fabric, and how restrained are you? Very impressed.

26. The fabric is gorgeous and it would make a beautiful dress. How did you get away with only one purchase? Re: time management? I’m drowning in my quilt at the moment and find all sorts of excuses not to just get on with it. Could do with some time management tips myself.

27. Hanne says:

The fabric is lovely.
    When I’m very short in time I sew 15 minutes a day. I put my alarm 15 minutes earlier so I have a a little time leftover in the morning and I put that time towards sewing; Sometimes it hurts though 🙂

28. Sharon Elle says:

I would probably sew a beautiful flowy summer dress

29. Pingback: Simplicity 1887 – The Perfect Dog Walking Outfit? | Did You Make That?