Letter From Belgium

Felt Patches.jpgI’ve been desperate to blog about these gorgeous felt patches of Ella and Poppy – and now I can! They were commissioned by me as part of a birthday present to my darling sister, inspired by a May Day fete we’d both attended with our miniature schnauzers. (The dogs are wearing neckerchiefs bought from Edwyn UK.) Ella and Poppy are firm friends, mainly because Poppy is very patient around Ella’s need to be Top Dog. Yes, my friends, darling Ella is a bully – I cannot deny it.

Ella and Poppy.jpgI’d seen some of Annette Tirette‘s work and asked her if she could make some felt patches for me. I sent her photos and next thing I knew, there was a letter from Belgium…

photo (9)Then, I visited my local frame maker and asked them to work their framing magic…

Framed.jpg

Perfect! Two little characters, immortalised in felt. Have you ever commissioned something from a fellow maker?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Letter From Belgium

1. Aaaw they’re adorable! I’ve also commissioned Annette to do me some postcard prints of her artwork, and I framed them for my sewing room! She’s a talented lady!

2. Awwwdograble… Yes all the time. I want to help and support all my fellow makers as I can. One was a dog broche in crochet, other was a kitchen set of oven gloves… My blog header is from a fellow creative.

3. Hanne says:

They are so cute! Anneke did a really good job (again!)

4. That’s a couple of canny canine cameos right there, lovely work!

5. KnitNell says:

Those are lovely. I have commissioned a couple of beautiful embroideries from Linda Miller (www.lindamillerembroideries.co.uk) over the years. These two pictures are so special because they are personal as well as being gorgeous works of art – they would be the first items to be taken in the event of a fire (or to be seasonal) flood! One of the embroideries (a portrait of moi) is on the top corner of my blog, Knitnell.com.

6. These are fantastic! And such a lovely idea, what a brilliant present!

7. jcjulieann says:

They are so lovely. I agree it’s a really nice idea.

8. Sasha says:

I love Annette’s illustrations, she is very talented… The felt patches look great with that frame. I’m an artist and I commission all the time from my fellow artists … having a house full of my own stuff would be like having a house full of mirrors.

9. sew2pro says:

Lovely, so sweet! But you should have one made for yourself too 🙂

I was so gutted to move out of our old flat that I got an architect/artist to paint the building, front and back, and the two pictures hang in my current home.

10. gingermakes says:

These are SO FANTASTIC!!! I love them- what a wonderful gift!

11. I haven’t commissioned work from a fellow maker before but I am lucky enough to own an Annette Tirette original. After I sent her some fabric last year, she sent me a care package of Belgian chocolates and biscuits, and an illustration of me, Nic and the TARDIS! It is most treasured and will need to be framed. I love these felt doggies, they’re wonderful and such a sweet gift x

12. Melanie says:

Those are darling! The handmade world is addictive. Because I love making stuff, I usually only commission/buy in areas where I have little to no ability. For example, all the art hanging in our house has been commissioned by/purchased from artist friends. (Like KnitNell, they’d be the first things I’d grab in case of a fire. Before the photo albums even.) Though I have to confess to a weakness for elderly church lady craft tables. I have more fluffy scarves than I know what to do with.

13. maddie says:

I’ve never had work commissioned and I’m jealous of your new wall hanging! Adorable!

14. treasa2 says:

will make some like them for husbands guide dog the dogs look lovely well done

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Did You Make That? wrote:

> didyoumakethat posted: “I’ve been desperate to blog about these > gorgeous felt patches of Ella and Poppy – and now I can! They were > commissioned by me as part of a birthday present to my darling sister, > inspired by a May Day fete we’d both attended with our miniature > schnauzers. “

15. amaryllislog says:

I love this, and so adorbs!

16. Patty says:

these are simply amazing… thanks for pointing out a fellow Belgian to me (I’m supposed to live here, but…)

17. Stacey says:

Just an adorable creation! You have such great fans!

18. Emily - Belgian Seams says:

Well done, Anneke!

19. Philippa says:

Yes I had a pair of gloves knitted for me this winter! I had some gorgeous hand-dyed wool gifted to me as part of the spring sewing swap last year. I can’t knit and couldn’t let the wool go to waste! You can see them on my blog, here http://gloriaandme.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/gorgeous-gloves-visit-to-crafty-patch.html

20. Lynn says:

Those are so cute!

21. Oh my goodness, are those little darling things! How adorable. And I have indeed commissioned items from other makers. It makes me feel great. 🙂