Vintage Vogue 7252 with The Afternoon Blouse

Vogue 7252One reason to exercise: it’s fantastic thinking time. There I was, cycling to work, when  – BHAM! Straight into my head arrived an entire outfit. All I needed to do was sew it.

This is a Vogue 7252 skirt pattern I bought on a trip to Hay on Wye. I have the evidence here! This pattern only had to wait three years for me to find the inspiration to use it.

Vogue 7252 & Afternoon Blouse

If you’re struggling to make out the false wrap detail, here are a couple of close up shots:

Wrap Over Skirt detail

Wrap detail

I made this in a heavy weight black linen with a gorgeous sheen to it. The edge of the inside wrap skirt piece is finished with bias tape. I used some that I was gifted at a sewing swap:

Bias binding detail

I love this detail, even though I’m the only person who will ever see it.

The skirt pattern asks for a lot of top stitching but I really didn’t want to mess with all the hand stitching. Following Diary of a Sewing Fanatic’s comprehensive instructions around linen, this fabric had been through both the washing machine and dryer twice. During the hand stitching, I could see that the linen was strong. Even picking a single thread of warp or weft with my needle was enough to anchor stitches, which made for some pretty invisible hand sewing.

Even though the linen was strong, I knew it could stretch with the warmth of a body. So I used strips of organza to stabilise the invisible zip insertion. I took these strips from the selvedge of some groovy organza I bought from The Man Outside Sainsburys:

Strips of organza

Do you recognise the blouse pattern? It’s another Afternoon blouse, made from a super-lovely lawn cotton bought on the same trip as when I bought my linen. Only took me a year to use both of these.

Afternoon Blouse Collage.jpg

So, a pattern that waited three years. Fabric that sat patiently for 12 months. There’s a lesson here, I suspect. Inspiration can move at the pace of a glacier carving out a valley. Which makes this outfit the perfect reply to fast fashion.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Vintage Vogue 7252 with The Afternoon Blouse

1. docksjo says:

it looks great and summery. http://docksjo.com

2. Ros K says:

Such a lovely pattern, another one to add to my queue! Great pictures too.

3. Philippa says:

I love your choice of fabrics, colours and patterns together. I also think it’s much more fun (and individual) to dream up an outfit like this that no-one else has, than just go to the shops and jump on the latest bandwagon. I bet you’ll be wearing that skirt for years! It looks very versatile and makes a good canvas for lots of coloured tops.

4. Panda Face says:

Your blog is once again a source of top banana advice – I’m just about to sew a linen Delphine. Thanks, Karen!

5. Fiona M says:

A very lovely ensemble! Those fabrics look great together.

6. sewmanju says:

Very nice outfit, I particularly love the skirt.

7. Tamsinwp says:

Lovely outfit Karen. Definitely a great response to fast fashion. Great to catch up with you last week

8. SandraB says:

What a lovely outfit. The skirt pattern is really wearable with that false wrap but what I really love is that fabric I need to hunt some down!

9. Jenna says:

Beautiful outfit, I am sure they will both get worn loads.

10. Barbara says:

Love both fabrics, they look great together.

11. Louise says:

You look absolutely brilliant! Nice work.

12. Love your fabrics and colours. The skirt is so beautiful and this afternoon blouse (I’m yet to make it) is lovely, great combination!!!

13. Ruthie says:

Yup, a vintage pattern would wait at least 3 years in my stash!

14. Cute outfit! Love the bias detail and you are making me want that top pattern, beautiful as always.

15. Great outfit, the top and skirt are perfect together! And I love secret sewing details 🙂

16. Well worth the wait! 😀

17. Carolyn says:

Karen, this is such a lovely outfit! I love that floral print (I’m a sucker for black and yellow), and I love that you have matching yellow heels. Great work on the linen too!

18. liza jane says:

Beautiful! Love that blouse fabric.

19. nita says:

Oh! I love it! Both the skirt and the blouse! Very inspiring! I made my first skirt yesterday and am so excited to get on to the next thing and keep on sewing. It’s so exciting and empowering to sew one’s own clothes and I look forward to making the next item…a dress!

20. Elizabeth says:

Super cute outfit. Love the print on your top and your lovely stitching detail on the skirt! Love it! There’s nothing like a good heavy linen.

21. Corinne says:

Such a pretty outfit! I love the print on the cotton lawn – so pretty! And you’re so right, exercise really does help to get the creative juices flowing, don’t they?!

22. Ann Warner says:

Love the skirt pattern, it’s so stylish, what a great find.

23. Fooniks says:

This is perfect. The blouse and the skirt look like they are a match made in heaven. I think the Design and Sewing gods themselves gave you that epiphany when you were cycling.

24. Fab skirt and love the secret bias detail. Great coordinating with the shoes too 🙂

25. Both pieces are perfection! Does the organza keep the zip from becoming wavy?

26. What a lovely outfit. I am also admiring the blouse on the front of the pattern. The fabric for your Afternoon Blouse is great.

27. Beautiful, they go so well together. Really wanting an afternoon blouse now! The skirt is lovely, I love a faux wrap.

28. redsilvia says:

Very cute! I love that skirt pattern. Score finding that one. I like to see how you add a little touch to a project, the bias tape here. You make me think that I should find a detail to personalize rather than just figure out how to shove the project through the serger as fast as possible 😉

29. Kathy says:

I keep seeing this Afternoon Blouse in Blogland….I must get the pattern! Yours looks super in the yellow floral 🙂
    PS those shoes are divine!

30. The blouse and skirt go so well together. I must get me some of that organza from the man outside Sainsburys.

31. Sara says:

Really cute! I love finding vintage patterns that still hold up and are wearable.

32. Megan says:

Love the skirt, it looks navy in the photos.

33. sassy02 says:

Sometimes it takes a while for inspiration, but as you can see from your beautiful work it’s worth the wait sometimes.

34. Pingback: Sporty Sewing – First Make! | Did You Make That?