Hollyburn Skirt & Tiny Pocket Tank

Hollyburn Skirt & Tiny Pocket Tank

Hello, sunny happy sewing people! What are you up to this weekend? Ella and I have been chasing the rays, ducking the thunder storms. Someone asked me recently why my dog features in so many photos. The ultimate accessory? No, I’m just a single girl who lives on her own which means when I leave the house, so does my friend. I’m not gonna leave her cooped up indoors whilst I wrangle with a self-timer! Not when there are squirrels to chase!

She’s totally overdue a groom. You can see why she’s called The Dark Lord. Do you know what it feels like to be watched by that inscrutable face ? Ever had the sense that someone is judging and finds you lacking? Welcome to my life!

The Dark Lord

So, first off the confession. This latest version of the Hollyburn skirt is a total steal of someone else’s fabric inspiration. I recently bumped into House of Pinheiro and she was wearing this awesome dress, made from fabric bought from The Man Outside Sainsburys. Two questions made my heartbeat quicken:

The Man Outside Sainsburys has been unfaithful to me?

Why didn’t I buy some of that fabric?

So, I skedaddled over to the stall. Only one problem. There was a single metre left. ‘I’ll have it,’ I said, snatching it out of the stall holder’s hand. There ain’t no dignity in sewing and anyone telling you different is a liar.

What to make, what to make? I decided to go for the Hollyburn skirt, cut on the cross grain. This skirt is a bit of a fabric gannet, so I didn’t even have enough for the waistband. I cut that out of a solid black of a similair weight. I think it works! Absolutely love the drape of the fabric and this is going to make the perfect summer cycling skirt. When summer arrives.

The top is another Tiny Pocket Tank made from some Indian cotton I bought from Stone Fabrics. This cotton is really fine so you’d better make sure you’re working with a new needle in your machine.

Fabric Drying On The Line

Hollyburn Skirt

After all this sewing and dog walking, Ella and I stopped by our neighbour, artist Anja Jane, who is taking part in the annual E17 Art Trail, opening her home to visitors like me so that Ella can terrorise her cat. Another good reason for living in Walthamstow.

E17 Art TrailNow, I know what you’re thinking. Karen, when are you going to start sewing the culottes? Avoidance strategies? Moi? I’m not scared!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Hollyburn Skirt & Tiny Pocket Tank

1. Lovely skirt and top! Did ‘The Man Outside Sainsburys’ have any culottes-suitable cloth?!

2. debbieiles says:

Lovely colours on you! I love culottes. Can’t wait to see yours!

3. redsilvia says:

Ok, spooky. I just(as in minutes!) cut out a Hollyburn with CF on the lengthwise grain trying to eke out a skirt from my fabric. I hope mine turns out as cute as yours.

I like Ella looking rakish, she can pull it off. Happy weekend!

4. cute and colorful, I like it! and no summer yet? have a great weekend

5. Gill says:

Lovely summer skirt – now we just need a summer that last more than a couple of hours. I really must come to Walthamstow Market for fabric – haven’t been for years. I recognised the Town Hall behind your doggie – I was born in Thorpe Coombe opposite!

6. Carol Webster says:

Hi Karen
    Love this outfit, love Ella too with or without a hairdo! I have just started reading The Pink Suit – ta for the recomendation really enjoyable!
    Carol
    As for culottes – the phrase “does my bum look big in this?” always came into play when I tried them but you are young and slim so crack on!

7. Kerry says:

What a great outfit and it’s nice to know with coordinating separates that neither will be a wardrobe orphan. Also, I really need to get the tiny pocket tank pattern as I love my Scout pattern.

8. Kate says:

You make some wonderful clothes and I’ve always loved your fabrics from the man outside sainsburys. Is he there on a sat? I live on the other side of London so don’t want to make a wasted trip. Thanks

• Saturday is the best day to visit the market, but these are independent traders and stall holders so things like weather can make a difference to their attendance.

9. Jenny Lester says:

Did you buy the fabric recently and therefore am I to assume that I was in fact unlucky that TMOS was not there on my recent visit?? Will make another foray to Walthamstow when visiting London later in the year, but was worth the trip for lunch at the William Morris Gallery. Lovely skirt and you wear it well!!

10. mlm247 says:

This outfit really suits you. Great colour combo. One metre makes a flared skirt?? Wow!

11. Melanie says:

I love the sound of ‘The Man Outside Sainsburys’ …. we’ve nothing like him here in Australia! I love the black waistband on the skirt…clever thinking.

12. Kathy Lynch says:

I wonder does this Man know all these women from all corners of the globe speak of him, in hushed tones? I particularly like the black waistband, by the way!

13. T says:

Such a glorious print and makes the scarlet top really pop. Am waiting with bated breath for the culottes (no pressure) as I bought the pattern but have been too scared to cut them out!

14. gingerjac says:

This is such a great combo together, you have an eye for it!!… I am getting so many ideas of clothes to make from your blog!

15. Those colors are so gorgeous on you! Lovely.

16. Such a lovely outfit! I saw that fabric on Rachael, too and her dress was as fab as your skirt is! Too bad the Man Outside Sainsbury’s does not have any left. 😉

17. Jenna says:

Gorgeous outfit, I love the bright colours in the skirt and the red top goes perfectly with it!

18. Love that you paired it with chucks 🙂

19. I love that you paired it with chucks 🙂

20. Daniela says:

Well done squeezing that skirt from 1 m of fabric! It looks amazing with the black waistband. And I really love seeing Ella in all your photos. My parents also have a miniature Schnauzer and as I am home at the moment, I am trying to sneek him into a photo as well 🙂

21. Pingback: Sporty Summer Sewathon Swings Into Action! | Did You Make That?

22. Pingback: A New Look | Self Preservation