Liberty Lilou

Liberty Lilou iiThis is my second make of the Lilou Dress from Love At First Stitch. I used some liberty fabric bought at Christmas from Birmingham rag market. I can remember hesitating over the purchase. Even off a market, the fabric was a tad pricey and I have a tendency to equate ‘cotton’ with ‘cheap’. Why was I paying double figures per metre?

Now I know why. Because the tana lawn is absolutely beautiful to work with. During construction, I was full of admiration for the clever print. Seams just melted out of view. If you’re a beginner with an eye on hiding mistakes, you could do worse than stretch to some of this type of fabric. It behaves really well and doesn’t crease badly during wearing.

ongping sewingI was able to tweak details with this second make. I shaved some depth off the armhole on the left side so that my sleeve doesn’t fall off my wonky shoulder. Despite having made this once before, I still needed to baste the zip in to assess fit. All fabrics are not created equal. The linen on my first make had a loose weave; the tana lawn did not. Tiny details, that make big differences.

Liberty LilouI suspect this is my last summer dress make for 2014 and it already holds good memories. A lot of the construction was completed during a weekend when I had house guests. Like a good host, I’d sacrificed my bed to sleep on the sofa – metres away from my sewing machine. So when I woke early in the mornings with a creaky back, I’d get up and sew in the quietness of my home. I love sewing when I know other people are sleeping. Do you?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Liberty Lilou

1. Esta says:

Sewing while other people are sleeping – what a fascinating idea! I’d love to try it but my industrial machine is so loud it even disturbs people who are wide awake and have to be near my sewing station.

2. stargateinky says:

Gorgeous dress. Looks like something out of a Boden catalogue. I do most of my sewing on Saturday nights late when kids are sleeping, its quiet with nothing but the sound of a whirring machine, the hiss of a steam iron coupled with smell of crisp fabric under heat…

3. Treva says:

Lovely dress! I just picked up a few meters at Liberty of their tana lawn last week while packing my daughter up to move back to the states. It was so hard to decide what to bring home. Glad to hear you enjoyed sewing it.

4. Oh my goodness, that colour is just lovely on you. Late summer in dress form!

5. stgilbert says:

What a gorgeous dress! Yes, I love to sew when my household is sleeping 🙂

6. Fadanista says:

I would rather be the one sleeping, but I love the idea of sleeping near to my sewing machine! What a delightful dress, and shame that it might be your last make for summer this year, given that it’s only August. I agree that it’s worth paying more for the fabric, you’ll remember the quality of that dress long after you’ve forgotten the cost.

7. Simona says:

Try to avoid using my machine when people sleep in the morning and tend to do cutting and pining! But some times when I feel they slept enough and want them to wake up I set my loudest machine to make them come out 😉

8. Ros says:

I often sew very late at night. Since I live alone and have no near neighbours, I don’t worry at all about the noise!

9. redsilvia says:

It’s a lovely print so I’m glad you bought it! The dress turned out very well with those little fit tweaks. And of course red shoes are just perfect with it.

10. Tilly Buttons says:

This is soooo pretty on you, Karen x

11. Stephanie says:

This is so pretty, Karen. I made a Cambie in a blue print Liberty fabric last year and the fabric made the dress for me. No sewing while others are sleeping as I live alone! 🙂

12. Mimi says:

Lovely, lovely print and a gorgeous make!

13. mepellymelly says:

Beautiful fabric, beautiful dress!

14. Sewer from across the Pond says:

Beautiful. I love Liberty of London. Did you underline it (If so, with what?)?

15. Liz T says:

Like you I often wake early and I am SO beyond bothering if I wake him when I sew…..he does not seem to mind keeping me awake on the other end of the night putting his light out way later than I can cope with so…….sewing early morning sounds just about perfect!!
    Lawn is gorgeous fabric but have you tried this dress in a soft knit print? It would drape very well in the skirt – I sew knits more than anything else as the are so easy to work with and drape so nicely.

16. A beautiful summer dress that already has good memories attached to it? A winner all around!

17. SarahStar says:

This dress looks GORGEOUS! I love the fabric and it works so well with this design. I say yay for late-night sewing, especially in the summer with the window open and a cool night breeze blowing in….

18. Lori says:

Nice look and drape.Very pretty

19. Hi, your dress is lovely on you! I love Liberty lawn, the shop often sells off metre length offcuts at reduced prices, and its amazing what you can squeeze out of it because its wide (although you have to look out for matching up large repeats in the pattern). I made Tilly’s PJs for a bargain price out of some beautiful print, and it sews so well.

20. Philippa says:

So pretty! I agree about the sewing when others are sleeping – I get my best sewing done while my teenagers are still in bed. I’m sometimes too tired in the evenings.

21. Haha that’s the BEST time to sew because no one interrupts you! Pretty dress – I love the blue pattern!

22. It’s beautiful! Lovely colour!
    I also love sewing when other people are asleep. But mine is at night. When the 4 year old is in bed and the hubster has crashed on the sofa! At the moment I’m on summer holidays from school (I’m a teacher) and am enjoying precious late nights of sewing, wine & radio!

23. Rebecca says:

The dress looks beautiful! I’ll have to try some lawn fabric. I’ve heard of it but didn’t know about its wonderful properties!

24. Jennifer says:

I love sewing when others are sleeping you know there will be no distractions and can get in some quality ‘me time’- i get a couple of hours in on a Saturday morning during summer in my large window that only gets early morning summer sun but when winter comes the bay window where my machine sits is so dark and drafty! The dress is really pretty, though the colour looks so different in all the photos!

25. Wowzers this is great. Mind you I liked your last version too. Gosh you are a talented lady. I have two sewing machines and and the one I love best is a noisy brute. It often provokes complaints from the sprogs!

26. KD says:

My husband says he likes to hear the sewing machine whirring. It’s peaceful and productive. So I sew when he’s having his afternoon nap.

27. Pingback: Wilderness 2014 – Craftastic | Did You Make That?

28. Briana says:

Wow! This dress is an absolute stunner! I love its simple and elegant look. Good choice on the fabric. I hope to see more dress ideas from you. Keep it up!

29. Pingback: Fabric Focus – Liberty Tana Lawn | Did You Make That?