Ready To Trek The Pattern Trail?

Pattern Trail

Are you visiting the Isle of Wight over the next few weeks? Maybe you live here? Perhaps you have a sewing machine at home. It could be that you’re looking for a bit of fun in these dog days of summer. Then you need the Pattern Trail!

Pattern 1 CollageI brought several sewing patterns to the Isle of Wight with me. Why? I didn’t have a sewing machine. Because I’d had an idea. I was going to hide six patterns in various locations around the island. I’d supply six sets of photo clues to their secret homes and … the rest is up to a reader.Pattern 2 CollageCan you track down one or more of the patterns? I promise you, not all of these will be easy to find. There are only three rules:

• No trespassing
  • No vandalism
  • No litter

I think I can trust you on these three counts!

pattern 3 Collage

I can’t wait to find out who discovers these hidden patterns. The Cynthia Rowley has already been cut and used by me. There are a few really great patterns here, including Vogue and Sew Over It classics. Each has been wrapped in a cellophane envelope to protect it from the elements. I’ve tried to place each somewhere it will be protected from rain. Every pattern has a message from me. On a couple of occasions, you may need to be brave enough to ask someone to hand a pattern over. They’re all the clues I’m giving you!

pattern 4 Collage

If you’re reading and recognise locations, maybe you want to leave your own clues in the comments. (Revealing the location might spoil the fun.)

I’m really intrigued to see if anyone successfully completes the Pattern Trail. Do send me a photo at didyoumakethat[at]fastmail[dot]fm. If this works, who knows – there could be more to come! And if you are inspired to set up your own Pattern Trail, go ahead.

pattern 5 Collage

pattern 6 CollageGet trekking and get lucky!

51 Responses to Ready To Trek The Pattern Trail?

1. Jess says:

Eeek, I’m super excited about this. I was there for cowes week and REALLY want some of the liberty print. I’m definitely going to get my mum to hunt out one of those patterns as we both love sewing. I haven’t heard about a pattern trail before, it’s a great idea, is it a new thing?

2. Jenni says:

Good luck to locals and holiday makers alike! I’ve just got back from the Isle of Wight so am unfortunately unable to follow your pattern trail 🙁 but it’s looks like a lot of fun x

3. Claire says:

WOW! What a great thing to do. I am gutted I do not live in the Isle of Wight or are going to visit. Have fun to anyone taking part! xx

4. clemensnp says:

Wowzers, how exciting! If only I could get there…You’ve sowed the seed for a Brummie pattern trail though, thanks. And good luck everyone! Catherine x

5. Philippa says:

Ack, wish I was going to the Isle of Wight for my holidays!

6. lovelucie1 says:

What a bonkers but fabulous thing to do!!!!!

7. Attention, people! Pattern 4 has already been found by Cath. You’d better get your skates on!

8. What a magnificent idea! I heartily encourage anyone and everyone to explore the delights of the venerable island of Vectis. I do also think I can post a small clue:

“You will need the title of a well know Beatles song to get to one of the pattern locations.” *

*Do please delete this if I’m having a middle-aged moment and I am completely wrong…

9. This is a great idea – I don’t know if I’m ever likely to go to the Isle of Wight, but now you’ve got me wondering about seeding patterns around Leeds …

Also, if hunting for patterns hidden in nooks and crannies becomes a thing – pleasepleaseplease can we call it “geostashing”? [/inveterate punster]

10. Celia says:

such a clever idea and so kind 🙂

11. Annika says:

What a fantastic idea! Unfortunately travelling from Germany to the Isle of Wight just to get a pattern isn’t quite reasonable, but you got me thinking about doing something similar in the south of Germany…

12. Nilla says:

This is such a fun idea! Happy hunting!

13. Stephanie says:

What a cool idea! I almost want to go to the Isle of Wight to pick up that DKNY pattern, but oh well. 🙂 Good luck to everyone!

14. Tilly Buttons says:

Karen, you are the cutest!!!

15. This is so cool! I wonder who will find it!

16. Kim says:

Great idea! Wondering how quick they’ll all be found!

17. zilredloh says:

This is such a great idea!!

18. Karine says:

You’re going to get a job offer from the Isle of Wight Tourist Information very soon !
    Love your game.

19. Joanne says:

Absolutely brilliant idea – inspirational AND generous!

20. Sandra says:

How adorable! I wish I could join in, but I’m here in Vegas!

21. Cat says:

Ooh I might have to go find pattern 5 tomorrow – am sure can persuade kids we need a trip to the beach 😉

22. What a great idea. Wish I was holidaying on the IoW instead of being stuck in the rain!!
    Like Penny Librarian’s clue too!

23. Such a brilliant idea!!! Wish I was there!

24. Charlotte says:

I love the brilliant fun ideas you come up with.

25. Nicola says:

I’m swimming to the Isle of Wight on Saturday, but I won’t have my phone with me (for obvious reasons) for the clues! Lovely idea though… I’m going to look out for the boat flowerbed as that seems easy to remember 🙂

26. stgilbert says:

What fun idea! How I wish I was close to the Isle of Wight to join in!

27. spikeabell says:

Karen, have you heard of Geocaching? Have a look, you may have started a trend for a global sewing geocache group. Love all your fun ideas.

28. Nikki says:

A great idea! I’d love to go hunting, but it’s a case of so near yet so far!! I rarely get the chance to venture out of the principal town of the IOW where I live.

29. Love this idea, I recognise most of these places as we often take our fanily hols in the IOW, sadly not this year though! Inspired Karen, truely inspired.

30. Kirsty says:

What a great idea, wish I lived closer to go and find one of them.

31. Chris says:

What a completely fabulous idea! I,m far away from the Isle of white, so no pattern hunting for me but I will be keen to know who does find them.

32. Hila says:

So wish I could go to the Isle of Wight right now, grrr ! Dont suppose you could do it over in Leeds at some point? 😉

33. Carolyn says:

What a fun idea!! Good luck to everyone in this area! I can only imagine how delightful it would be to stumble across a pattern hidden in a shrub or something on my way home from work, LOL. 🙂

34. Emmely says:

What a fun idea! It’s a bit like Bookcrossing.

35. Juliet says:

Ooooh, it’s like geo cache for sewists! I’m totally going to steal this whenever I manage to get out of my small town 🙂

36. KnitNell says:

Fabulous idea!

BTW a friend and I visited Walthamstow recently (I lived there in 1981 and it was my first time back) and we took your Market map with us to search for fabrics. Had a wonderful afternoon and found everything we needed. Just to note that we couldn’t find no. 5, Classic Textiles, we presume it must have moved/closed, or did we not look hard enough (you would think, however, that finding a shop would be easier than finding a pattern!

37. Cat B says:

Have they all been found do you know?

38. Pingback: Trekking The Pattern Trail – A Sole Explorer | Did You Make That?

39. How cool!!! This is like the sewing version of Art Abandoment! How fun!! Have you heard of it?
    http://michaeldemeng.typepad.com/art_abandonment/ I abandoned some of my art and had a great time. I hadn’t thought to do so with sewing patterns. I bet Seattle & Tacoma would love it thought!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Pingback: Polka Dots and Pattern Trails | Did You Make That?