Lucy Sparrow’s Cornershop of Felt

Corner Shop ii CollageAt the weekend, I managed to visit an exhibition that’s become legendary in its own London lifetime – which ended yesterday (sorry). It’s Lucy Sparrow’s corner shop made of felt! Entirely made of felt. In spitting distance of Columbia Road – always well worth a visit – it was absolutely intriguing, and people were queueing up to take in the treats.

Felt Shop CollageVisitors weren’t allowed to touch the items, which though understandable, felt slightly contradictory. If you can’t squish a felt box of tampax, what can you do! Though I was allowed to take Ella into the shop.

P1090903The shop is such a great conceit, using fun felt to allow people to laugh at the taboo. Still, I have no idea where makers found the patience to create these 4000 items. The only thing I’m likely to make out of felt is a companion for Ella.

We bid farewell to the corner shop and went for a wander through Bethnal Green, Hackney and Victoria Park, where Ella decided to become her own art installation. Honestly, all this blog exposure is starting to go to her head.

P1090921Did you visit the corner shop? What is the most ridiculous thing you’d make out of felt?

17 Responses to Lucy Sparrow’s Cornershop of Felt

1. Philippa says:

The Cornershop looks awesome…my friend made me a hanging apple slice made of felt. She said, “I have no idea what you are going to do with it, but I thought you’d like it!” P.S. Ella is definitely a little star.

2. sewchet says:

Oh I wish I’d known about this exhibition, it looks fascinating. 4000 felt creations?? Wow!

3. sewmanju says:

Haven’t visited the corner shop but have ordered a felt Turkish delight (mmmm my favourite). Still awaiting it’s arrival.

4. Fadanista says:

Sadly I didn’t visit, but I had heard and read about it here in Perth, Western Australia. Thank you for sharing the exhibition.

5. Celia says:

Yes I visited and loved it! Though a friend who went after I’d raved about it was disappointed by the quality and variability of the stitching – something I hadn’t even dreamed of scrutinising!
    And it is ‘maker’ rather than ‘makers’ as Lucy stitched everything herself (except a few of the pick and mix sweets which her Mum helped with).
    What would I make out of felt – an Auricula Theatre full of felt Auriculas in Felt pots (I really should, shouldn’t I ?!)
    xx

6. Sam says:

I’ve heard great things about it too – what a shame though that you can’t pick things up!

7. stgilbert says:

That shop is a labour of love, to be sure!

8. Natalie says:

I definitely think you need lots of patience to create something like this! I think I would like felt versions of the objects that I hate, like the iron, maybe I would get on with them more then? Also, Ella is so sweet!!

9. Jen (NY) says:

Not sure why, but I had an obsession with making fake food when I was a kid. Most of my creations were made from dough or clay (hamburger with sesame bun, slice of cherry pie), but I did make a giant orange lollipop out of felt when I was about 11 or so. Not sure why felt was used, but that one was made in a school art class whereas the others were my own motivation…
    ~Jen

10. Felt tampax! made me chuckle. I keep meaning to make some felt food for my daughter’s play kitchen. Somehow I never get around to it.

11. I have seen this on Facebook, or something, before. The photos were fantastic. There were so many many things that she made with her own hands. Just lovely! She is famous in Canada too!

12. Rachel says:

I visited a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it! The pieces were really well observed and brought right back to my childhood – especially the Mr Freeze ice lollies. It’s such a shame it only lasted for one month!

13. Lisa says:

One of my gang of chums got married. It was quite the affair – we were told headgear was a requirement (it didn’t matter what). So we wore the most ridiculous things we could find. One of us made a felt cupcake fascinator which trumped everyone.

Three years later, she got married. We all wore confectionery-based felt headgear as revenge. She loved it.

14. shaewc says:

I ADORE Ella! She reminds me of Cede, the scottie I had during my college years and early years of marriage. I still miss her 16 years later!

15. Sheree says:

I would have loved to have visited this. How incredible that she ( with an assistant) managed to sew 4,000 pieces in just 7 months. Such attention to detail as well. Personally, I don’t think I could face another piece of felt after that!

16. Rebecca says:

That Cornershop is HUGE on Tumblr! (Home of obscenely young Americans.)

17. Linda says:

I visited last w/e with my daughter who lives nearby. We were amused to be approached outside by a ‘spiv’ who opened his coat to offer us felt black-market groceries stitched inside! Such a shame this complete exhibit could not go on tour. It would have altered many people’s dismissive views of modern art.