This is my second make of the Turia dungarees – this time as a pinafore dress! A really easy process, following this tutorial. Not that this was an easy make. Ever felt tripped up by fate and fortune? I have…
Do not, under any circumstances, buy Prym dungaree fittings. I’m not even going to provide a web link. What an abomination! One good thump of a hammer and the shank point came straight through my button head. One button then promptly fell apart and the other one could not be removed from my dungaree dress for love nor money. I eventually cut – cut! – it out, and have never been so grateful for the darning stitch on my Bernina.
I sewed on some lovely 1950s buttons but you’ll now never see those because the straps of my dungarees have since had to be knotted. It turns out, the buckle’s teeth aren’t sharp enough to stop straps from working their way loose. You couldn’t make it up!
Rant over. I cheered myself by hemming the dress with a pretty embroidery stitch.
I think I rescued all my hard work. The dress is made from an absolutely fantastic cotton twill I bought from Belle Fabrics in Leigh-on-Sea. I’m tempted to phone in another order. Unbelievably, this shop doesn’t have a website though I did feature it in my run down of Top Ten Fabric Shops in the UK. If you’re ever in the area (and you really should visit Leigh-on-Sea) I would dart in and scoop up some of this twill.
This dress was quite the journey! Worth it, though. I have a super-comfy outfit for weekend wear. In fact, I’m about to wear it up the pub to meet a friend. Ella is fast asleep, having spent the day scaring geese, leaping into ponds, barking at old men, chasing squirrels and disturbing the woman we discovered sleeping in a bed of long grass at Epping Forest. It’s a dog’s life!