Ultimate Trousers En Rouge

Ultimate Trousers Red iiThis is a second version of the Sew Over It Ultimate Trouser pattern, made in a red triple wool crepe. Evening One: cut out pieces and overlock seams. Evening Two: make trousers.

It was that simple. Once you get the fit right on these babies, you’re off and running. Regarding fit: when making a toile, make sure you sit down in them to test any potential strain. These are made from woven fabrics.

I thought these photos would give you a bit more insight into the pattern and construction.

Ultimate Trousers Side On

Ultimate Trouser Collage

• I added strips of lightweight fusible interfacing to the seams at the invisible zip placement, to give more stability.
  • I sewed two lines of stitching at the centre seams. These are slim fitting trousers in woven fabric. I don’t want strained seams splitting when I sit down!
  • I keep the trouser hems very slender and hand stitch with a loose catch stitch.

A soft crepe wool makes for the perfect pair of winter trousers. Admittedly, trousers that will need to go to the dry cleaners. But worth it, I think. Are you convinced by this pattern yet? I am!

Ultimate Trouser Collage ii

35 Responses to Ultimate Trousers En Rouge

1. CamberwellGal says:

Ooh – those are superb! What really luscious rich red trews! My overambitious list if things to sew over the Xmas break not withstanding – a wool crepe pair have just shot up my list! Thank for your construction tips too. Ironically my summer ones might end up being heavier weight than wool ones, so could be useful. Given they only take a frugal 1.5m, beautiful wool is easier to justify.

2. Philippa says:

These do look really lovely on you, and a timely reminder to double stitch where needed! I think they would make a great pair of trousers for work.

3. Lovely trousers and the colour is luscious. They look very smart and as mentioned above would be great for work. X

4. Jenny Lester says:

Still trying to complete the Burda trousers which you made in the lovely black jacquard – I’m having to upsize the pattern as I’m just a little larger on the waist (proving difficult because of the pocket placement – but whatever!!) but these look fantastic and a piece of cake (Christmas of course) to construct!! I am interested that you say you overlock pieces apparently before you sew together – I always overlock once a seam has been made so may try your method with my next project. Incidentally how are you managing to do so much sewing with Christmas around the corner???

5. stgilbert says:

Immaculate!

6. I love this red version! What a fabulous & fun pair of pants to have in your wardrobe!

7. Love this red version! What a fabulous & fun pair of pants to have in your wardrobe!’

8. Tanya says:

How timely, I ordered this pattern last week! Thanks for the double stitching tip.

9. I love the colour. And you made a perfect fit, I think!

10. Sheryl French says:

These are beautiful. If you have a good steam iron, they never need to go to the dry cleaners. With spot cleaning, as needed, just use the ongoing steam function to hover over the crotch and waist area to pull out the wrinkles from long bouts of sitting. I have had a 100% wool pair of similar slacks, for the last 10 years, and that keeps them in proper shape. Needless to say, they will be the object of a copying ready-to-wear class at the end of the month!

11. Nicole says:

These look really good on you! What a great color and great fit!

12. I made a pair of wool crepe trousers years ago, which I’ve always hand washed and pressed myself. They still look great, so no need to dry clean if you’d rather not!

13. Amanda says:

They look beautiful. I’d love some trousers in this fabric. Is yours from The Man?? !!

• Agree fabulous trousers and we need to know where you got your beautiful fabric from. Does TMOS sell such an upmarket cloth?

• This was from TMOS but I bought a long time ago now, I’m afraid.

• Jenny Lester says:

Having made 2 visits with 10 ladies from Cheshire to TMOS I can confirm that he certainly does sell some upmarket cloth!! My latest haul included double sided felted wool for a coat, a fine woollen lawn type fabric purported to be “Hobbs” for a winter dress and some lovely fine wool tweed for trousers – sadly none yet started – post. Christmas sewing projects!

14. bimbleandpimble says:

These are fabulous! There is nothing like bright clothes in winter to keep you sassy! 😀

15. enquireendeavourexcel says:

Fab trousers, perfect side zip. I’m always a bit scared of sewing trousers, you’ve inspired me.

16. Wow, you’re so inspiring me to have a go at trousers. These look great on you, fab job.

17. Becky says:

These are perfection! I love this style of trouser. I think they are so slimming and elegant. I have several RTW pair that are looking very worn and pitiful, so I guess I need to get this pattern. Brilliant job!

18. Hélène says:

Merveilleux! J’adore l’ensemble. Vous faites compétition à Tilly, dans le style couleurs primaires et rayures. Vraiment très joli.

19. sue says:

This is such a great look on you!

20. Nakisha says:

No wardrobe should be without red pants; love them!

21. Britney says:

Those are so hot red pants! I love it!

22. Margo says:

These are lovely trousers!! And your sewing looks perfect.

23. Lovely – the red is gorgeous. I have this pattern and some stretch cotton in the stash waiting for the head space to attempt trouser fitting. You have inspired me to get on with it!

24. Roobeedoo says:

Those are fabulous!

25. Het Machien says:

Love the combination!

26. TamsinW-P says:

fantastic trousers and love the fabric!

27. Joen says:

Great Fit! love the red wool crepe fabric

28. symondezyn says:

I am really impressed with the fit you achieved, and the very neatly finished insides 🙂 Thank you for the tip on reinforcing the stress seams and the zipper! I’ve had nothing but bad luck with pants and invisible zips, so that might just help LOL

29. Pingback: The Ultimate Accolade | Did You Make That?