Sewing A Silk Blouse

Pussy Bow BlouseThis is the Sew Over It Pussy Bow Blouse. If you want to bring out your inner vixen, buy this pattern. It’s gorgeous! And doesn’t it go well with their Ultimate Trousers? It should go just as well with Sewaholic’s Hollyburn Skirt. If I was looking for a definitive capsule wardrobe, I’d use these three patterns on regular rotation.

Sew Over It Pussy Bow Blouse iiI used the same silk I used on my recent kimono make. (The kimono has seen lots of wear at home – just don’t march past a door with a large handle, when those voluminous sleeves are floating around. Yank!)

In my kimono post, I asked readers what the print was on this silk. Amoeba? I knew that Another Sewing Scientist wouldn’t let me down. She left a comment informing me that these are actually paramecia. And you think you come here for the sewing!

Pussy Bow Blouse ButtonsThe details on this blouse are to die for. The cuffs that have a button and loop. The bow tie, obviously. The teeny tiny gathers at the shoulder. (Possibly too teeny tiny for my taste – a devil to make my gathers look like more than an unfortunate mistake setting in a sleeve. Not sure I succeeded.)

A word on the sleeves: they’re designed to pool around the wrist, which I think is a gorgeous look. This does mean you should carefully measure your sleeve length against your arms. There’s a fine line between delicate pooling at the wrist and Help, I can’t find my hands! I’d also urge you to baste in the sleeves before sewing. I always baste my sleeves in first, these days. The seam ripper will mostly be part of this process – why make it more difficult than it needs to be?

Any other hints and tips? You need to work with a light fabric with lots of drape. This can make cutting out a challenge. I’d set aside an evening just for the cutting. Don’t rush. Pin your selvages together. You might choose to pin fabric between sheets of paper. I didn’t, but I did use my micro-serrated scissors. (If you like to geek out on scissors, check out my post here.)

I don’t think you necessarily need to use expensive fabrics on this make. I think a great fabric that you could pull out of the washing machine and air dry would make this pattern a real workhorse. We may be talking polyester, people!

What do you think? Can you imagine making this blouse? And do you need to be a fabric snob to indulge your inner vixen?

Pussy Bow Blouse Collage

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Sewing A Silk Blouse

1. Jane says:

Crickey Karen you’re on fire, that pussy bow blouse is absolutely gorgeous! I now want to make it immediately, along with another pair of Ultimate trousers! Breathtakingly lovely. x

2. Sassy T says:

Stunning!!! Am a lover of pussy bow blouses
    SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

3. Alice says:

So pretty! I definitely am in the market for a bow blouse pattern. Maybe this one! It may be well worth not having to draft my own.

Love the print! I try to steer clear of polyester, but a rayon would be nice, or even a cotton voile, it could work…

4. UtaC says:

Beautiful blouse. You paired it well with the red trousers.

5. Chris says:

Gorgeous! And you are right – it would be so tempting to have a no iron wash and wear poly version of this. But I just hate wearing it!! So yes, I guess to would have to be a fabric snob for this…

• LinB says:

I’d have to be a fabric snob, too, because of personal thermostat issues in the winter, and the torrid miasma that is summer in the U.S. South. Also, silky polyester can be even more a slippery devil to work with than is real silk. I just toss my plain-woven silks into the washer and dryer. If you take them out of the dryer immediately the buzzer sounds, you rarely have to iron them.

I love Karen’s combination of navy, red, and white, even if her blouse does teem with giant paramecia.

6. Het Machien says:

The blouse looks amazing, unfortunately my bust is a bit too lush for this. Thanks for the tip on cutting out this kind of fabric, now I know how to tackle that one beautifully printed, but horribly drapey fabric.

7. Paramecia is a good look. This blouse is absolutely stunning and goes really well with your trousers. I do love a good Pussy Bow blouse though and have several including one in the aforementioned polyester. Don’t judge me but this is one of my favourite blouses. It washes and dries almost instantly and doesn’t crease even after a few days in a suitcase. No ironing either. Gets my vote. I am off to investigate this pattern xx

8. terzibegum says:

It’s beautiful. I also love the paramecia 🙂

9. Miss J says:

Lovely! well done! Great print. Pussy bow blouses are the best, this would look hot with a pencil skirt too. You’ve reminded me to get on and make my pussy bow frock.Thanks for the post.

10. Great blouse and outfit. It looks the business with you new trousers. Funny, I picked up some scuba fabric with what I thought was a dalmatian print. Now I know it’s paramecia. Photos on my blog.

11. Lucy says:

I am not a scientist but my small daughters (4 &3) have a book about microbes, featuring paramecia. It’s called Tiny: The incredible world of microbes. It seems an unlikely subject matter for a kids book but they love it and I learnt a lot too! Lots of lovely illustrations to inspire further fabric prints. Your blouse is lovely.

12. Making things that go with other things has been my mission this year and you have certainly inspired that here. What an outfit! Jo x

13. its fabulous! I also snaffelled up some of this silk at HoH sale, totally inspired to make a blouse with it in the new year.

14. Hélène says:

Following your recent posts, it seems to me that your style is getting more and more polished and personal. Great job at defining what suits you best and makes you glow! Very inspiring.

15. Beautiful, I love those cuffs. Was it tricky sewing the silk? How do you stop it sliding everywhere?

16. Joen says:

Great outfit!

17. Britney says:

Oooo i love the bow and the pattern on the fabric! I would totally wear this shirt. I wish i could see a close up of the shoulder gathers

18. Melanie says:

A one-celled animal has never looked so gorgeous. I love your blouse! Gulp – especially with your ravishing red wool trousers.

19. docksjo says:

So classy, wonderful.

20. tinygoldenpins says:

Karen, I don’t know what to say about this except that you look really beautiful. It’s a perfect look for you and I love love love your hair like that.

21. Ami says:

I love your version of this blouse, have been thinking of making it for a while and think you have just clinched it for me!

22. Pingback: No Patterns Needed Blog Tour AND Silk Giveaway | Did You Make That?