Sewing Pyjamas

Pyjama CollageIs Liberty Tana lawn too good for sewing pyjamas? Too late, now! I’ve made Sewaholic’s Tofino pants and Grainline’s Tiny Pocket Tank as my ultimate bed wear.

I’d ordered this beautiful fabric on line, but when it arrived I feared it was a bit too cute for a dress. I couldn’t stop staring at it, though. And when I noticed that my Tofino pants from two years ago were faded and coming apart at the seams, I knew what to do with this fabric.

lace piping

I really like the piping details on the Tofino pants. The theory is that these horizontal lines lengthen your legs – clever, huh? But piping felt a bit bulky against my tana lawn. Instead, I bought some cream cotton lace from a shop I’m soon to review.

I also love that the rise of the back waist is cut slightly higher to keep your kidneys warm and your modesty intact! These are pretty simple to make but with a few interesting details to keep you on your toes. I have written a whole series of sewalong posts for these pants, if you’re looking for a guiding hand.

tiny pocket tank ii

I’ve made several iterations of the Tiny Pocket Tank. I love it for walking, cycling and sleeping! It’s a Can Do top that rolls up really small in a weekend bag. It’s worth tweaking the fit to suit your body – I added an FBA, widened the shoulders and raised the height of the neckline. But once you’ve a fit you’re happy with, you’re good to make multitudinous versions.

I’ve already worn my new PJs to bed and love them. The crisp tana lawn means that I don’t emerge looking as though I’ve been doing complex origami in the night. They’re comfie and pretty and I get to gaze at that lovely print every evening when I climb out of my work clothes and into something more comfie. Worth every penny, I reckon! Would you use Liberty tana lawn on something as basic as pyjamas?

Liberty PJs

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Sewing Pyjamas

1. Courtney says:

As someone who works a part time job and mostly works from home….and who peels off “real” clothes as soon as I’m through the door….yes! I spend more time in PJs than anything else! I’m in love with that tank. I would definitely just get up, throw on a cardi and jeans, and go with it.

2. love your pj’s! I have made lots of night dresses for my daughter and her friends when they were little, boxer shorts and nightdresses for me. Its such a wonderful fabric to wear, soft, silky and washes like a dream.

3. Jane says:

Yes, I most definitely would, especially if they turned out like yours! Gorgeous! x

4. jo says:

Gorgeous jammies and definitely yes to liberty fabric! By my approximation, and based on their rotation on the washing line, my jammies get a whole lot more wear than most blouses in my wardrobe and I totally enjoy pulling on my (rtw) liberty pjs and have some liberty tana lawn waiting for the same purpose!

5. ginnie31 says:

Love the PJs, I often spend most of my evening in mine so why not have lovely liberty ones !

6. Suzie says:

Lovely! And yes I would definitely think of making PJs with Tana Lawn because I have been toying with that very idea this week, but using the new Carolyn PJ pattern!
    I bet these are just absolutely gorgeous to slip into, and will be cool enough for Summer as well.

7. megsewing says:

I agree with everyone else YES YES YES to liberty PJs!! I’ve got the queue for a zoo all lined up for my PJ project, just waiting on my pattern to arrive 🙂
    Loving the cotton lace, such a cute detail, and the print.
    It feels like a collective sewing PJ thought going on! My sewing group has a PJ sewalong, closet case coming out with a pattern AND now your post 🙂 I think fancy nightwear is becoming a thing.

8. Hila says:

They look really cute! But tana lawn especially Liberty is so expensive for me that I couldnt use it for pyjamas. 😢

9. Sue says:

Yes! I made Liberty Tana Lawn PjS for my daughter for Christmas and she loved them! I’m definitely going to try the Tofino pattern for myself. I’m lucky to live near to where the Liberty fabric is printed so can buy it at such a reasonable price from the factory shop, so there’s no guilt attached to using it for PJS!

• Caroline says:

Hey Sue – where is the Liberty factory shop? Might take a trip out there if it’s worth it on price versus location!

• Sue says:

Hi Caroline, it’s Standfast Dyers & Printers, Lancaster. Liberty is £8 per metre. They usually have about 20 designs which are different each time you visit. Also lots of other curtaining – Designers Guild, John Lewis, etc at £6 per metre. Worth a visit if you’re near enough!

10. Kathy Lynch says:

Oooo, perfect! They look comfy & really pretty!

11. Simona says:

Well after seeing your pyjamas! I will definitely go and get myself some Liberty tana lawn and make some! I feel Liberty fabric is to busy to make stuff to wear but pyjamas are perfect! Thinking of making the new Caroline pattern from Closet Files! Lol so envy you right now for your fancy sleeping wear! Lol

12. Fadanista says:

Like others I would definitely wear Liberty to bed, I think it’s the perfect thing for pyjamas. I am also in the pyjama making mood, I have my Carolyn pattern, I just have to get them to the top of the making pile. Yours are divine and now I am wondering whether I should change my fabric and my pattern!

13. I love them! I wear pj’s basically all day, jeans etc are too painful for me to wear, i would love to look this good! They are fab!!!!

14. Margo says:

Lovely! I would definitely make pj’s in a luxurious fabric! Why not?!

15. louise says:

love them. I expect they are wonderfully soft to wear (great in summertime). Surely wearing Pjs gives you a opportunity to use whatever style fabric you want. A chance wear those fun fabrics, or ever so cute flowers that you maybe wouldn’t be brave enough to step out of your front door in.

16. Stella says:

What a brilliant idea! Yes, I will definitely be following your lead, and buying the Tofino pants pattern as well. Might make a longer version of Colette’s Sorbetto Tank Top to go with mine. Thanks for a great reason to wear Tana lawn in bed: minimum crushing! I wouldn’t wear those pretty prints in the daytime as I prefer plain fabrics on the whole for my clothes.

17. Liberty Tana lawn is perfect for pajamas. I especially like the lace piping

18. Oooo la la get you?
    and yes I would cos you only live once…X

19. lisa g says:

Considering that PJ’s would get worn more than regular day clothes or a dress… yes! I think it’s completely justifiable. Love these!

20. Hélène says:

This is one of the great advantages of sewing: daily clothes made of luxurious fabrics. Your Liberty PJ is simply stunning!

21. Stephanie says:

I love the texture of Liberty so I can imagine how comfortable they are. You look lovely! I have to admit that I always wear stretchy things for pyjamas – fleece in winter, as it’s too cold, and shorts and a knit tank in the summer when it’s hot – but I really like the look of these! I may have to change my thinking…

22. DavyMade says:

I absolutely love your PJs! I would definitely wear those! You can feel fancy and cozy at the same time. 🙂

23. oooh, they would feel so lovely and silky and as light as a whispy summer cloud! they probably inspire your dreams, which in turn could increase your productivity at work and play, so really, shouldn’t we all have tana lawn jimjams? yes, please!

24. Julia says:

Those are adorable, and I would DEFINITELY make myself some luxurious cotton PJs to lounge in during the warmer months. I don’t think that liberty has to be so precious. As Cybil Shephard used to say when shilling for L’Oreal, “I’m worth it!” This print is so cute, and I love the lace trim.

25. cabinandcamo says:

“Keep your kidneys warm” lol!! 😂

26. charlottepbc says:

These are so good, I’d never get dressed.

27. charlottepb says:

they look so good, I’d never get dressed.

28. Caroline says:

I agree with the majority of replies and say a big comfy YES to Liberty PJ’s – yours are gorgeous!
    I have been meaning to make up the Tilly PJ pattern from her Love at First Stitch book – you have inspired me to give it a go (when I find some time).

29. Absolutely! Like many others on here, I get far more wear out of my pjs than anything else in my wardrobe 🙂 These are fab!

30. GreenEggs says:

Ooh, lovely make. I’ve made PJs for the kids and the hubster but never for myself. I should change that. Love these that you’ve made. Well done.

31. Ruth says:

I was only thinking the other day how gorgeous Liberty lawn PJs would be, and this has proved it! Another project to add to my sewing list…

32. Alice says:

These pyjamas are too beautiful! I love the Liberty Tana Lawn you’ve used – I’m sure they are comfy, too! Enjoy 🙂

33. What a great idea! And I love the lace touch instead of piping. The way I see it, you used an indulgent fabric that you love for something you’re going to wear more than any single dress or blouse or what-have-you. You’ll get a lot of bang for your Liberty buck! 😉

34. megthegrand says:

I love matching pajama sets – they always feel so luxurious to me! This print is divine, and I think you may have convinced me to the Tofino pattern 🙂

35. Absolutely! Because you’re worth it, as they say. far more practical and just as luxe as a silk nightie 🙂

36. shaewc says:

Oh, I am in Love!! I have never purchased Liberty Lawn as it is extremely expensive (at least, compared to what I normally spend on fabric) here in south Alabama (can only find it online). BUT I have sewn pjs out of cotton lawn fabric before and it is my favorite. I do not have either of these patterns, but considering my favorite style of pjs right now is pants and a tank, I may have to purchase both!

37. Proper night attire is good for the soul. Yours are really lovely. I bet the fabric will be lovely and cool in the summer. I think you should splurge for something you’ll get a lot of wear from, like pjs or shoes. Beautiful fabric. Xx

38. My liberty fabric came from White tree this morning and I want to make PJ’s now! Jo x

39. These are absolutely beautiful!!!!

40. Pingback: Jammie Drawer Overhaul: Belcarro Tofino Jammies | Shoes Before Stitches

41. Pingback: How To Sew Espadrilles – Turn Up On Time | Did You Make That?