I Reveal My Inner Magpie

pattern sheets Just a quick one today, everyone! I’ve had a few readers contact me about the patterns in The Great British Sewing Bee Fashion For Fabric book, and how to find them. Keep your eyes peeled for those handy little boxes in the top right of each folded pattern sheet. They’ll tell you exactly where everything is!

I’m head down on one of the busiest weeks in the children’s publishing calendar. I’m soon to go to Bologna Book Fair and already tearful at the prospect of being apart from Ella for a week. I am distracting myself by going through my stash. I’m quite impressed at my collection of interfacings. I have a thing about quality interfacing so always pick it up when I can. But, still. That’s a lot… Is there something that brings out your magpie tendencies? Something more interesting than fusible interfacing?!

interfacing collection

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to I Reveal My Inner Magpie

1. sewbusylizzy says:

I suffer from a compulsion to buy rayon…closely followed by my denim obsession…

2. sewbusylizzy says:

Oh and Japanese books… and more Japanese books…

3. Stina P says:

Vintage silk thread! The ones from Gütermann, rolled up on tubes of thick paper, with only 50 metres on each. Love them!

4. Michelle Pye says:

What could be more interesting than collecting fusible interfacing. You can turn your stash in to anything you like using the correct interfacing.

5. weirdly zips. and from a recent scan of my sewing things, spools of navy blue thread!

6. Hanne says:

Good interfacing kicks my stashing syndrom into a very high gear. This goes as far as calling sewing friends and asking if they also need horsehair canvas when it’s on sale. I have bought entire bolts of it…
    Same goes for cotton fusible or knit interfacing. I’m totally with you on team quality interfacing!

7. Have a fabulous time at the Fair, sharing Puffin magic with the world 🙂 For me it is embroidered fabrics, I adore them.

8. Oooh! Would love to hear more about your interfacings!

Do you have a favourite source? Are there any rules of thumb you use when selecting a particular interfacing?

I admit to lacking confidence in my ability to chose the correct weight. Too light or too heavy interfacing can completely spoil a project (don’t ask me how I know this)

9. lauriesannie says:

Good lining. I love rayon and won’t use polyester. So Bemberg/Ambiance. One year a company in the States had a sale on it and I bought like 30 yards all together.

10. Thread. I keep mine colour coded. All my thread is vintage as I inherited from my Nan. It is all super great quality too. I’ve been sewing solidly for two years now and have never had to buy a single cotton reel!

11. V Reed says:

Ribbon and trim. I’m a sucker for ribbons of all sorts, but I do love the specialty woven ones with the complicated patterns. I haven’t a clue what I’ll use them for when I buy them. I have a rather large bin full of bits and lengths of ribbon. I made a big stack of pattern weights with them a couple of years ago and didn’t put even a scratch into my stash. The hubs does what he can to steer me away from the ribbon and trims section of the fabric stores.

12. CurlsnSkirls says:

Buttons.
    ‘Nuff said!
    del

13. Janie says:

Ric-rac and seam binding; shocked when I don’t have the color I need.

14. Cherie says:

After reading your post about The Great British Sewing Bee Fashion With Fabric book, I bought one and had it shipped here to NZ….ughhmmm. Yes it was expensive to ship but I am impressed with all the patterns. I am returning to sewing after many years break and now also work in a fabric store….YIKES! So my inner magpie had been going crazy! After I pay off my overlocker I will have to put the magpie away! And I have restrained myself from buying new fabric until I finish current projects. I think I could buy a pattern every week if I let the inner magpie on the loose! Sale time and staff discount makes it really hard!!!!

15. SarahStar says:

Batiks… oh those bright colours and exotic, splodgy patterns! I can’t resist them! Even when I can’t afford to buy a few metres, I’ll buy a fat quarter, despite the fact I rarely do any patchwork these days. Maybe I’ll just make a display of them??.

16. Good luck with Bologna! I heard the weather is going to be nice! x

17. Kara says:

Ohhh, would you do a post on interfacing? I tend to just pick up whatever my local store has to offer, but would love to hear more abour what to look for and how to find it. And of course what to do with it once you have it :p

18. Joyapple says:

I’m a compulsive collector of fat quarters for quilting – delighted to be able to make a set/string of charm bunting for a chum’s recent 60th and yes I did have 60 different fabrics in it!

19. Joyapple says:

Re – Fashion for Fabric/GBSB patterns – unlike some other commercial patterns the patterns are printed on both sides of the sheet so sometimes you have you have to unfurl them to find what you are looking for.

20. Stacey says:

Nice fabric … hope you make something fabulous with it!

21. Petersham ribbon – especially vintage 100% cotton.