The Ultimate Accolade

Chambray Ultimate TrousersHere’s a little quiz for you. Who do you think recently said, in a surprised tone of voice: You know, those trousers are really quite flattering on you!

a) My bestest friend, who thinks everything I do, say and wear is brilliant because I am brilliant.

b) A male friend, who thinks clothes are functional and exist simply to stop us all from walking around naked.

c) My mother.*

What can I say? When my mother speaks, I listen. Yes, I made a fourth pair of Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers.

* Love you, Mum!

Close Up TrousersThis outfit is ALL the colours. I used some royal blue Robert Kaufman dot chambray. It’s a really gorgeous fabric with a subtle sheen.

ultimate trousers detailsI assumed my fourth make would be straightforward, but I’d forgotten that the Ultimate Trouser fit needs to be tweaked with every variance in fabric. There’s zero stretch in this chambray (unlike my previous versions – one in stretch denim, one in triple crepe wool) and adjustments were made accordingly. A person skips basting and trying on at their peril! Fortunately I didn’t, and I now own a comfortable and flattering pair of trousers for the warmer weather.

I can’t resist a close up on my new satchel. I’m getting to that stage in life, where I sometimes need reminding what my name is. Accessories help.

satchel

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The Ultimate Accolade

1. Liza Jane says:

Well, she’s right! Love the bright blue.

2. Candie from Alaska says:

Always listen to your mother! She’s right, another beautiful sew and they do look great on you!

3. Orange and blue!!! A favourite colour combo for me right now! I love your accessories too…that little pop of fuschia sings. The handbag is adorable, but truthfully…your handsomest arm candy is your doggy. 🙂

Ah, the nuances of fabric and it’s stretch. I guess the upside is that it keeps us using our little grey cells.

A Colourful Canvas: Orange and Blue : : Blue Gingers That Is

4. S says:

Stunning combo of orange and blue!

5. Danielle says:

Love the fabric choice!

6. Fab! Incredibly flattering, all the tweaks were worth it. I’m slowly getting there with trousers…

7. Meg Kundert says:

Your mum is right! They are fab. I pay attention to what my mom says about my makes and she is usually right, even when she tells me it’s a ‘tosser’.

8. ellegeemakes says:

Those pants are super cute in chambray! I’ve actually been quite obsessed with chambray this spring, and i deeply envy yours. Great look, love the top too.

9. Sarah says:

Ah, Wood Street, miss that place. Love the trousers.

10. You just have to listen to the mums around us, they are gorgeous. I have some chambray and am toying with a shirt or wide leg trousers – not sure yet. Jo x

11. Linda T says:

Like the whole outfit, and, yes, a great pant fit. Well done!

12. Cherie says:

Great outfit, love the color combo! And gotta love Mom!

13. PinhouseP says:

Mums are the best 🙂 And your trousers are lovely 😉

14. O.M.G. THOSE ARE GORGEOUS! okay, i’m going to make some. and the orange and pink accents? to die for!

15. neela says:

Just loving the GORGEOUS trousers. Nice combo with the orange top, Yum!

16. Gorgeous outfit, I love the bright colours and those shoes are divine. Awesome trews too.

17. Hélène says:

Wonderful outfit! And your satchel is awsome.

18. Kathy Lynch says:

Your Mumma is totally correct Karen – they look great! My sweet Mum used to say, whenever I was craning my neck to check my rear view (slightly obsessively in my youth), “You look gorgeous. Besides, a good soldier never looks behind.” Ahhhh, how I miss those pearls of wisdom!

19. sandra says:

I just like the picture of your lovely puppy!

20. stgilbert says:

The whole outfit suits you to a T!!

21. Reana Louise says:

A total compliment! And she’s not wrong, they are fab.

22. yoshimi says:

I love your colorful outfit. You look so pretty in it!

23. ewa says:

I love the trouser fabric! Your mother is right.

24. louise says:

OOh I do love colour. Very nice outfit.

25. Kathryn says:

Amazing colour combinations, I love it! These look like such a great fit, trousers still scare me but one day I’ll pluck up the courage to give some a go. I love your bag too, can I ask where it’s from?

26. Kristin says:

What pattern is the orange top? Love it.

27. Susan says:

Yes ! That’s what I was thinking…. Did you make the top too. I love it!

28. Gail says:

Why not make four pairs – they are great, versatile pants.

29. Twilight says:

Lovely! You made me smile about the initials on the bag. I once had to run out of the house into the street to verify my address when somebody phoned to find out where they could deliver something….. Think there’s a bag for that kind of memory lapse?

30. Ah yes, the fabric fit! I like to make flat pattern adjustments and always have to remind myself when I’m in unfamiliar territory, just take the time to baste or I’ll be saying some not nice things under my breath when I have to pick out stitches! haha I love the color combination!

31. tinygoldenpins says:

I adore those pants in that chambray. I keep wanting to buy it but then get hung up on all the colors…..olive, black, blue. But, is it crazy for me to be so excited that I bought that exact bag when I was in London. I bought it for my daughter and instead of initials (she’s too young to need reminding) they did a lovely sheep! Your post reminded me of one of the loveliest days I’ve had in a long time, which began at the Cambridge Satchel shop.

32. Pingback: Ultimate trousers for my ultimate challenge! | not sew simple