Claim The Clapper

clapper for video

Following my blog post on my three favourite sewing investments, reader Anne invited me to write a blog post on using a clapper. I decided to go one better with a short video. Enjoy my flat Northern vowels!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Claim The Clapper

1. Debbie B says:

Thanks Karen, great video. Upon reading your previous post my question too had been ‘but how do you use a clapper?’ I thought for some (unknown) reason you had to really bash at the seam with it and so my lightweight ironing board would be no use. But now I just might buy one, looks really useful!
    Thanks,
    Debbie B

2. Jen (NY) says:

Excellent video! I’m working with one of those annoyingly bouncy polyesters right now and I have also been experimenting with a diluted white vinegar solution.

3. sewsincity says:

I never would have guessed that was how you used those things! Thank you for posting! http://sewsincity.com

4. Nicola says:

Thank you very much Karen. This was a very useful guide. Ella is beautiful and so well behaved.

5. Jacqueline says:

Very helpful – thank you! (and Ella too, of course..).

6. Charlie says:

love this and love hearing your voice! I haven’t yet invested in a clapper and recently resorted to using a rolling pin instead … Running the risk of oily food stains paid off! I will be investing at the first opportunity. Great vid. Xx

7. A small shop sells them locally so I put them on my christmas list, with description and instructions for hubby, but one festive season and one birthday later alas I’m still clapperless 🙁 (maybe I should get him one for Christmas instead)

8. Love this tutorial! I have a clapper and absolutely love it. When I first purchased it I thought I looked so professional because no one else knew what I was talking about 🙂

9. Also, that little point on the end acts as a fantastic little ironing board when doing pointed collars and such!

10. Emma Gibney says:

Thank you! Now I can see why I need a clapper. Great to see you in action, and of course, Ella!

11. felicia says:

Thanks! I was preparing to grab a piece and wood, lay fabric on top of it and steam away. Glad to get corrected before the fact 🙂

12. sewdiyblog says:

Great video! I actually didn’t know how to use the clapper. Thank you!!

13. Elise says:

Hey there! I’ll add to the number of people who had no idea what they were for. I’ve also tried to finger press as I’ve seen demonstrated in posts and tutorials, but had NO idea you were supposed to iron it before you pressed it. And I wondered why it didn’t work…….. I’d love to know why they designed them to look like they do when the flat side is what you use. Was it just to make it look intimidating? Well, if that was the case, it worked on me. I must add, you are even more darling in “person” than in your pictures. If you can get used to it, I’d love to see more videos from you. Every now and then, in your spare time.

14. Connie says:

Well you sound exactly as I have been hearing your voice in my head while reading your blog. I love Ella, I wish I could give her head scritches.

15. Caroline says:

An excellent tutorial. I recently discovered the wonder of the clapper whilst making a jacket in wool & cashmere. A fantastic bit of sewing kit!
    As a fellow Northerner myself I loved your dulcet Northern flat vowels – should they be pronounced any other way?

16. Louise says:

OK Karen I need a clapper. Great tutorial, didn’t notice those flat vowels, being a northerner too.

17. I loved the video, Karen! I had never heard of a Clapper, it sounds really useful, might have to invest in one.

I don’t generally make clothes, but in a mad moment I have just bought some denim to make some trousers. Might have bitten off more than I can chew, as they say! Maybe a Clapper might help. It would probably help to have taken more notice how to use an overlocker! Ho hum!

Lovely to see Ella, she looks adorable. Look forward to seeing more videos of you both!

Barbara xx

18. Alison says:

Loved the video, the voice and Ella. Had never heard of a clapper before but now I really need one! I’m also from ‘up North’ so those vowels sound just fine to me too.

19. Many thanks for this great video. Now I also need a clapper.

20. Melizza says:

I wanted to save pennies and bought a piece of wood from the home improvement/DIY shop. Works well but I need to sand the edges to keep it from snagging some fabrics.

21. milburn.sara@yahoo.com says:

Thanks for the video – very informative. Hope the dog has forgiven you! Sara

Sent from my iPhone

22. Oh yes….I am currently working on a polyester garment and have those seams. Now I know what is wrong – they require a clapper immediately!

23. Pingback: Speedy Sewing | Jane Makes

24. I’m a clapper convert! Those tips and tricks are going to come in very handy on a scuba knit of mine that is proving to be mighty bouncy. Thank you!

25. sewabaloo says:

This was a great help, thank you! I’m trying to persuade my husband to make me some pressing tools, I’ve shown him your video so he understands what I need, what it’ll do and what wood to avoid.

26. Polly Pierce says:

I’m a serial hobbyist and have a go Jo! A clapper has been on my wish list for ages as have the tailor’s hams, to the degree that I went off to my local joinery and got a bag of sawdust to make one. Anyway it got left outside by one of the family and now has been rained on for two winters and will probably make a good fertilizer for the garden while my wishlist remains intact! It was great to see you & Ella ‘in person’ and see someone actually using a clapper on a difficult fabric other than wool and as for those flat northern vowels I’m another Northerner so what other way would you be saying them!?

27. I cain’t fer the life of me figure why you furriners make such a fuss about yer accents. Y’all all sound the same to me. (Just kidding. You sound lovely, look lovely, and I was delighted to see the Bambi blouse in “person.” Thank you for the tip!)

28. Leticia says:

Bambi dress! I think your accent is fantastic, like Christopher Eccleston, my favorite doctor! You come to the States and have a crowd around you listening to you speak. Thanks for the tutorial!

29. Well! Clearly not everything learned in Home Ec class stuck. I had no idea the clapper was used that way. Thanks so much for sharing!

30. Ann says:

Oh my gosh! You answered my question! Thank you so much for putting in the effort to make a video. Right away I can see what a difference a clapper makes, and that I have to find one asap. And on my own I would have done it all wrong. Thank you!

31. Carolyn says:

Wonderful blog and straightaway I searched for a clapper. I could have done with it when sewing a Princess Ana dress for my granddaughter but now I have one – purchased from Venacava – a tailoring site. It’s really well made and I cant wait to use it. Your blogs are dangerous to my acquisitive nature!! But thank you very much!

32. Rhonda says:

I’ve been using my old iron, not plugged in, as a clapper but I hope to be getting one for my birthday! Thanks for the informative post.

33. Pingback: Interlude elfique | L'attaque du découd-vite

34. Pingback: Hardwood Presser Clapper: A Sewing Anvil - Crafts!withFriends!!

35. Pingback: Press Gang | DIY wardrobe

36. Pingback: I made a Christmas dress! (no santas or snowmen were harmed) – sewing with kate