Sewing A Colour Block Dress

Ultimate Shift Dress Neon ii

Want to sew and photograph a colour block shift dress? Oh, man! Say hello to Walthamstow market. After a six-hour Sunday morning sewing session I had an urgent appointment to meet friends. The reason? Er, James Bond Daniel Craig Spectre Hello Are You Kidding?

Which meant no daylight hours in which to photograph my latest make, unless we grabbed a quick snap before buying popcorn. So, now you guys know what my locale looks like. A lot different to when I first began blogging, that much I can tell you. Gentrification is travelling North East of London. Let’s just leave it at that, shall we?

Ultimate Shift Dress Neon

This is my second make of the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress – and I love it! We entirely have TMOS to thank for this version. I was looking at some cheap synthetic crepe, and a certain conversation played out:

You don’t want that. You need to come and look at this Hobbs wool. And if you’re sewing with that, you should really consider this silk lining...

Combined with this, I had a sudden and strong vision for colour blocking. A little, not too much. With a matching button on the rear closing, this felt just right. What do you think?

orange wrist

My friends and I had long conversations about sleeve length. I was concerned about cold wrists, but then we chatted about the demands of statement jewellery and The Erotic Wrist. The erotic wrist?! Was this a new social media thing? Turns out that the Victorians had a thing about wrists. Shorter kid gloves, shrinking sleeve lengths… The nub of a wrist could be as erotic as the turn of an ankle. That’s educated friends for you.

As for James? He never disappoints. I’ll take my martini dirty…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sewing A Colour Block Dress

1. sewsincity says:

Love the pop of color!

2. Ali says:

Love the corally cuffs and your erotic wrists! Am planning a Walthamstow Market trip in the next couple of weeks, it’s not at all how I imagined!

3. tamsinwp says:

I love the pop of colour on your sleeves – the texture is really interesting too. I thought Bond was fantastic, I saw it with husband last week and am very keen to take my girls to see it…

4. Miss J says:

The colour blocking looks great, very high end designer! and if you’ve done that on the black button closure – great!
    I went to Walthamstow the other day, nearly fell over when I saw what was going on beyond the Nat West end of the market. When did that happen?
    On the Saturday I went the “Man outside Sainsburys” was MIA. 😦
    Sincerely hope this market doesn’t go the way of Brixton Market and slowly disappear only to be replaced by al fresco eateries and coffee shops.
    We need to buy our haberdashery from somewhere!

5. Shelley says:

I wish there was a man selling fabric outside my Sainsburys. Is he there everyday? I will have time to kill before a pm meeting in central London in a couple of weeks – I wonder if I could turn up with a few bags of fabric…

6. Carolyn says:

The coral adds the right amount of pop to the dress! Lovely!

7. Margo says:

I agree with Miss J, your dress looks very high end designer. I love the coral color. You look great!!!

8. lisa g says:

Love the contrast cuff! Great dress.

9. S says:

You look just lovely in this. I buy the concept of the erotic wrist, as I buy the concept of the erotic ankle. Anyhow, coral is the perfect complement to the dress (and the wrist!).

10. Philippa says:

Looks amazing. I had forgotten about erotic ankles. Sadly in the age of the midriff bearing selfie (teenagers) I think most other people have too!

11. How nice to get such service from TMOS. Yes Walthamstow is changing, the hipsters are circling…

12. love the colours! looks fab 🙂

13. Katrin says:

Now that is really putting the fun back into black!

14. Nane says:

Talking about wearing black. Waw, stunning !

15. Peta Louise says:

Great dress Karen, and I love your necklace too!

16. redsilvia says:

Love that on you! The wool looks yummy and the hint of color takes the dress up to fun. Perfect for you.

17. Sewniptuck says:

wish I had visited Walthamstow instead of Goldhawk Road 2 weeks ago on hols in your part of the world. GH Rd could well do with the panache of TMOS. Terrific dress, I too vascillate when it comes to sleeve length. My recent wool knit exercise top too long but so comfy and covers the hands well and truly. Perhaps we could meet up next time Karen.
    x

18. amcclure2014 says:

Lovely dress. I like the sleeves.

19. Oh I love what you’re doing with not-so-basic black! Love the sleeve length, and the coral is absolutely perfect.

20. dorienbrion says:

Your posts always make me smile ☺️

21. Claire Ross says:

Love it ! The splash of colour just adds some va va voom to your dress!

22. I love the sleeve length. Perfect.

23. shaewc says:

How did I not know about Sew Over It??? I am stalking the Vintage Shirt Dress and Shift Dress patterns right now…Thank you for the introduction!