Christmas Day Skirt

Christmas skirt

Why are Christmas trees so bad at sewing?

They always drop their needles!

This is my festive skirt, and that was a cracker joke.

The last stitch of my Simplicity 2451 was sewn on Christmas Day morning. I’ve made this three times before: here, here and here. Oh, and there’s the wool and leather mash up, here. Let’s make that four times. Now, five times. I’m losing count!

simplicity 2451 CollageI’d been so busy in the run up to Christmas that I felt overwhelmed even thinking about sewing. I needed a fun and achievable project to ease myself back in. Gazing into my stash cupboard, I couldn’t resist the claret wool. This skirt flashed into my imagination. Inspiration had arrived!

tweed Collage

The Darcy tweed was from Fabric Godmother and I squeezed this skirt out of a metre. Sadly, I can’t see any more of this fabric on the website. The wool has a very loose weave, so plenty of interfacing was used on key seams, pockets and waistband. The skirt was lined in wine anti-static lining.

Red skirt innards Collage

waistband piece

I always trim my interfacing to avoid excess bulk in seams, and I really needed to avoid excess bulk in this self-lined yoke waistband. The below was trimmed from the seam allowances – excess fabric that would otherwise have bulked out and distorted this skirt. I mean, where else was I supposed to put that extra roast potato?

waistband excess

Merry Christmas from me and my skirt!

red skirt detail

18 Responses to Christmas Day Skirt

1. Lovely wool and lovely skirt, Karen! I don’t tire of seeing you in it… and I hope you enjoy the festivities!

2. Margaret Beard says:

Beautiful fabric and skirt!

3. Stina P says:

Perfect Christmas skirt!

4. tamsinwp says:

I think the colour of your skirt is fantastic, perfect for a seasonal skirt. I was wearing my version yesterday and was reminded what a fab skirt it is. Sadly mine is almost too big to wear without looking ridiculous, so I may need to make another soon! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

5. Melody A. says:

I absolutely love your dry sense of humor, ” the extra roasted potato” and I love the skirt, it looks like it makes up very well in numerous types of fabric. Merry Christmas! from Iowa

6. tinygoldenpins says:

How I love the color combination here….such a beautiful deep red.

7. Mags says:

Lovely skirt, and so great for Christmas. I’ve been sewing with Linton tweed and interlinked everything to cope with the loose weave. Hope you had a great day and plenty of potatoes, happy New Year.

8. PsychicKathleen says:

I was so impressed by the “made this Christmas morning” that I almost completely fogged on the rest of your blog! Beautiful skirt to whip up on ANY day 🙂 Merry Christmas! I love your skirt and appreciate the reminder to cut interfacing smaller than the fashion fabric to avoid bulk at the seams. I used to do this all the time but somewhere along the way lost it 🙂

9. ha ha awesome cracker joke! And a gorgeous skirt perfect for Christmas.

10. Beautiful skirt, what vivid and gorgeous fabric.

11. ooobop says:

Love a tweedy fabric. Especially in red! Perfect for that skirt x

12. Lovely. Congratulations on getting it finished.

13. Margo says:

Perfect.The color, the style and the pockets. It looks great on you!

14. chris says:

Beautiful and the perfect outfit for Christmas Day. Thank you Karen for yet another project to add to my ever growing ‘wish list’ – you NEVER fail to inspire. Wishing you and every one of your followers a happy and healthy New Year 🙂

15. vintage51 says:

Reblogged this on vintagethrifter51.com and commented:
    Check out this lady’s blog. She sews and knits too. Cheers, Michele

16. Beautiful skirt, that fabric is wonderful. You are so productive. Hope that you had a great day. Xx