Knitting A Snood

wool and the gang snood

Have you come across Wool And The Gang? They’re very active on Instagram and my impression is that they’ve been on a significant and successful social media onslaught – I’ve spotted lots of other bloggers knitting their wares.

When I was asked if I’d like to sample their products, I chose the Snood Dogg kit. My biggest challenge was picking from the ultra yummy range of colours. I forced myself to go for a deep navy that would colour match my outer wear. Sensible – pah! I still want to knit myself a pink snood.

If there doesn’t already exist an unboxing video of Wool And The Gang kits, there needs to be one. Unpacking mine was a sensual smorgasbord of woolly love.

Wool And The Gang CollageThese kits are pricey. The snood would have cost me £45 if I’d paid for mine. Not a cheap beginner make, but then the wool is 100% Peruvian wool, the needles are rosewood, I was given a darning needle, clasp… If I’d bought all that separately, the pennies would have quickly added up. And I do think this kit would make a gorgeous gift for a newbie knitter.

Knitting with ella

I enjoyed stopping by Wool And The Gang’s pop up shop in Oxford Circus over Christmas and I’m eyeing up their Let’s Groove Cardigan. But what colours to choose? I don’t need to be sensible all the time … do I?

wool and the gang

snood gods own junkyard

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Knitting A Snood

1. Katrin says:

Oooooh, I wish I could knit.

2. Cor, this is a bit fab. It looks lovely on. I have seem the WATG stuff but balked at the price. It does look good value though as decent wool wears a lot better than the cheap stuff I normally buy. It looks like it would be quick to knit up too. Lovely packaging and I am admiring that red snood on the front. Xx

3. I love the WATG patterns but I just can’t afford to buy the kits. Especially with postage to Australia too.

4. Lisa says:

I’ve been such a fan of Wool and the gang since seeing article of them a 2 years ago in Mollie Makes Mag. Love the patterns and lovely colors of their yarns. However they are rather pricy, making knitting a really expensive hobby. Ever since moving to Europe, I’m stilling getting used to the high price of yarns and needles and trying really hard not to convert currencies. Europe and is serious yarn paradise for me. 😍😍😍

• Lisa says:

Oh my goodness, lots of spelling errors above, auto correct is a nightmare and it’s a silly time to still be up. Let me take this opportunity Karen to let you know I love your blog and have been following it for 3 years. First time commenting too… Yay!

5. Miriana says:

£45!?! Big, fat, old skank

6. Ros says:

I think they are extremely well marketed products, mostly designed for the non-knitter. It’s the same sort of frustration I always have with any kind of craft magazing – everything is made easy and quick and beginner. Which is fine when you are a beginner, but the handholding through every single step makes it difficult for beginner’s ever to gain the confidence to move on to another, more interesting or complex project.

7. Knitting has been in my “must learn” things to do and I hope I’d be able to accomplish it this year. I love snoods because it is multi-purpose especially it rains a lot where I live. It keeps my neck warm AND my head dry when I need it. Do you think I can learn knitting by myself or do I need to enroll in a class?

8. Navy was a great choice it looks so luxurious. Jo x

9. cathytremain says:

Talk about synchronicity – I found a you tube video just last night with the same pattern and pulled out a ball of wool and started it. though the 45£ is to pricey especially with the low Canadian dollar. I do have wooden needles and they are a dream to knit with.

10. musingrunner says:

I learned to knit from their videos!

11. Kathy Lynch says:

Oh, those rosewood needles look just gorgeous…& I’m not even a knitter! It’s a glorious Queensland Summer day here, about 86 degrees, so perhaps I could be tempted later in the year to become one (a knitter). By the way, navy may be “sensible” as you say but it’s also tres chic & suits you beautifully! 🙂

12. Miss J says:

Well in any business the word kit = expensive so you pay for having everything in one box.
    In this case the packaging is looking great and as I’ve only knitted with plastic needles. The idea of wood is lovely.
    Good luck to this company, but I do long for the days where you could easily walk into a wool shop and see and touch what you were buying!

13. susew says:

This is clever marketing for an overeager inexperienced knitter. Don’t need a kit for something so basic – go to a good yarn store, talk to the employees, and fondle and buy some bulky yarn and needles suitable for it and figure out how to knit seed stitch.

14. It does look gorgeous on you, and yammy to have… nice things are nicer if they are expensive, sometimes…. i’ll definetly have a look at their space out there…

15. Looks lovely, but I would not pay that price! Yikes. No wonder all the blog reviews I’ve seen for these kits are from people who’ve been given them rather than paid for them.

16. Kristen says:

Late commenter here, but this looks great! I love your earrings in that first pic; aqua/turquoise with navy is such a great combo. I mainly wanted to chime in re: previous comments about the kit. Yes, it’s quite “marketed,” and yes, some people might have nice local yarn shops with high quality products and knowledgeable salespeople, but a lot of people don’t have access to anything like that. I think this is a great substitute for that, whether someone doesn’t have access, doesn’t have time to browse in a shop during normal business hours, or just doesn’t want to have to go through the trouble of picking things out and/or talking to someone about all of it (there are a lot of people who just don’t like asking for help!) And the kits don’t seem to be any more expensive than buying the items separately. Clearly they aren’t for everyone, but I was surprised to see so many negative thoughts towards WATG. I’ve only recently started hearing about them, but my perception so far is a good one. Thank you for sharing your experience with them!

17. This is really fashionable and useful thing! It looks good on, and you can also use it to cover your head when it is cold or windy.

18. Andrea says:

So nice!

19. jocolumbine says:

I echo many of commenters above – as the owner of a small Indy yarn shop I could supply delicious British made, British reared pure wool and all the other bits and bobs (including premium needles) for just north of 25 quid. Plus you’d have help and advice if things went pear shaped! The products from wool and the gang are definitely a triumph of marketing over product. But hey, at least you got’em for free.