Sewing Flannel Pyjamas

gingham pyjamas

Say hello to my new PJs! Just in time for the cold snap that’s arrived in the UK. I bought this gingham flannel back on a hot summer day. Those will make some cosy winter pyjamas, I thought. I wasn’t wrong. Have you ever sewn with flannel? You must! It’s like walking around in a giant hot water bottle, only with less danger of drowning.

pyjama shirt with piping

I went to town with baby pink satin piping on the shirt. I don’t usually bother sewing pyjama tops, but I was tired of wearing ancient running T-shirts with my home sewn pyjama bottoms. I wanted a pair of PJs I could wear on a weekend break with friends and not find myself cringing with shame.

burda pyjamas

The pattern? It’s unisex, Burda 2691. With a unisex pyjama pattern, you’d better prepare for some tweaking to your body shape. I shortened the sleeves and took four inches off the length of the shirt, sewn with a generous seam allowance. I shaved three inches off the depth of the crotch, yet found myself adding an inch to the trouser length. Huh?!

This is not a sophisticated pattern, but I found it a really cute make. And if you want to get a bit of experience of patch pockets, adding piping, matching plaid, adjusting patterns, and sewing a simple collar … you could do worse than sew your own full pyjama set. Plus, you get to snuggle up on the sofa in your new make.

I love seeing how cleanly pressed this flannel is in my photos. Probably the last time this set of pyjamas will ever see an iron again.

piping

piping ii

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Sewing Flannel Pyjamas

1. Emily says:

Very cute! I keep meaning to make a pair myself with some paw print flannel I picked up ages ago.

2. super cute. And is it only me or is that guy on the pattern envelope quite creepy looking? or perhaps just his unfortunate hairstyle? It doesn’t pay to look too closely at the pattern envelope people 🙂 they are often odd.

3. Cute jim-jams. Your last comment about ironing makes me think of my Mum. She irons everything; socks, knickers and always pjs! I love her so much and hope she never changes!

• racurac2 says:

my mother in law is the same! And I feel the same for her!

• Elle says:

My mom used to put our pjs in the oven for a bit so that we could strip off our clothes and hurry into warm sleepwear on cold nights. Such a loving gesture….

4. Alison says:

They’re lovely!

5. Clémence says:

They look so so cozy! We swear by flannel sheets in the winter! The only problem is you never want to get out of bed…

6. You had me at gingham. The fact that your jammies are pink gingham simply makes you the jam! Love this make. The finishing details are sweet!

7. twotoast says:

They look great – and very snuggly! I plan on making Pj’s for my entry in this year’s SWAP over at Artisans Square!

8. Jen (NY) says:

You’ve inspired me to add piping next time – a little touch that adds so much!

9. Nathalie says:

cute pyjamas! Pyjamas are one of the first things I have made, years ago. But weirdly I have never made a second pair. I think yours have inspired a second pair flannel with piping.

10. amcclure2014 says:

Nice pyjamas! I love the idea of flannel pyjamas but get so hot in bed. Maybe I should have a pair for lounging.

11. megan says:

Love the colour of that gingham. I iron everything, love things to look crisp but really you can’t iron flannelette as you knock out the nice fluffiness. Hope you enjoy your jim jams they look fantastic.

12. jenniboy74 says:

Those are awesome! I just used the same pattern to make some jammie pants out of Riley Blake’s Hooty Hoot Flannel. I bought it two years ago but it somehow got lost in my sewing room until November of last year. I really can’t say how that happened. I flat felled everything so I didn’t have to dig out my serger. I also cut a bunch off the top so that I could fit them on the two yard piece that I had.

13. Haha! Love your description of sewing with flannel. It IS fabulous a fabric, and one of my goals this year is to make a pair of flannel pj’s (I have the pattern, so it’s just a matter of finding the time, flannel, etc). So cute in the pink gingham.

14. Kathy Lynch says:

Oh my goodness, that piping is the bee’s knees! You have the prettiest PJ’s (jimmy jams, jammies…..what affectionate names we have for “sleeping attire”) in the world. Hope the cold snap isn’t too severe though. 🙂

15. What cute jammies. I love the piping detail. Flannel is lovely. I have a load of vintage flannelette sheets from my Mum and some real 1930’s printed flannel from her stash. It is so lovely and I keep toying with the PJs idea but if I cut it/wear them it will wear out and it too old and nice. I have this problem with “good” fabric a lot. 🙂

16. Noddfacrafts says:

This was flash back blues! I made red flannel pyjamas in school! Many years ago. I didn’t bind the top but I did do bound button holes! Not bad for an 11year old!

17. Sanne says:

Those look so cozy! The piping is lovely. It’s getting very cold around here, so perhaps I need some PJs in the near future too.

18. It almost passed me by but “ancient running” tops – are you a runner then? I used to be a runner but sewing is the new running for me – good for my wardrobe but bad for my fitness!

19. Sewniptuck says:

Still giggling at the “too hot in bed” comment!! Beautiful work; where’s the lounging in action photo?!

20. Just lovely! I am a total sucker for piping on pajama sets, and these look so cozy on top of being pretty.

It seems like everyone is making cozy flannel jammies and here I am, still sleeping in assorted selections from the “it’s clean and it’s warm” portion of my leisure wardrobe. Someday, I too will have flannel PJs with piping…someday!

21. Joy says:

I need pyjamas that don’t make me cringe with shame!! I need to make some of these!

22. Janet says:

Oh god. Now I want to make some. I also have mismatching of lovely home made bottoms and scraggy old tops that were once white and are now too grey to be seen anywhere else but as pjs. The satin piping has me sold on making matching tops…

23. stitchesoftime says:

Wow beautifully made, I love the piping!

24. Janet says:

Fabulous. I have a pair of pink gingham brushed cotton pyjamas sitting in my ‘to make’ pile, so having seen these, I think I’m going to have to get down to it – they just look so damn cosy!

25. Ah the satin ribbon, I see. I am about to have a good go through my PJ drawer. Mismatched tops, muslin tees and long sleeved disasters with old bottoms. Time to get that all right I think. I get you on the real Pyjama thing they look so much better. Jo x

26. Pingback: A Month Without Ablogogising | Did You Make That?

27. Jess says:

I love the piping and it’s so neat. A lovely finish to cosy, pretty pj’s.
    I too find pj’s too hot in bed so prefer a flannel nightshirt. Now I’m wanting to make one for myself as shop bought ones all have cuffs and those stupid roll up sleeves with a strap and button. Doh! Of course I can just cut theme off. I’m going to do that this week.

Another thing I want to say is

Thank you, thank you, thank you all.

After reading everyone’s comments about those lovely pj’s
    ‘NODDSFACRAFTS’ says she did bound button holes on her pj’s, hang on! Bound Button holes? I thought they were only done on leather so I googled it and discovered it’s a mini welt pocket thingy. PERFECT!

My husband has taken a liking to wearing waistcoats everyday for work (he’s self employed architect working from home). I’ve made several and am now getting requests from friends and family but BUTTONHOLES!!!!!!

My super duper sewing machines do amazing buttonholes, even elaborately embroidered ones but can I get them lined up? No chance! I can’t get them the same distance from the edge of the garment. This is not a problem if the waistcoat is worn fastened but some are left undone and this is where the ugliness shows.

If anyone has a solution to this you would make me very happy. In the meantime I am going to try the ‘bound’ buttonholes.

28. gingerella says:

They look so comfy! And the piping looks profesh. Would give almost anything to be curled up in a pair of flannel pyjamas at home rather than at work.

29. Pingback: Three Essential Greases For Sewing | Did You Make That?

30. Pingback: Fabrics To Keep You Warm | Did You Make That?