The Sewing Sap Rises

daffodils

The Met Office tells us that spring is still six weeks away, but there are definite signs of life in London. I keep catching the scent of jasmine when I’m out and about. Crocus rings are in bud. Shops are replete with daffodils, and this morning I even managed to hang some washing on the line.

peg bag

I sewed this peg bag five years ago (go see an early blog post about it here!) and it’s still going strong. It gives me joy every time I use it.

sewing table daffodils

Seasonal sewing is about so much more than pattern releases. It’s a subtle shift in the frame of making. This bear is emerging from her cave! Right now, I have so many ideas buzzing that I’m struggling to arrange my sewing plans in an orderly fashion. Any tips for planning?

But first, I need to finish a project I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks. There’s a very definite deadline looming…

shirt sewing

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Sewing Sap Rises

1. lauriesannie says:

My daffs started up at Christmas, would you believe, when the weather was balmy. Then we got plunged into deep, cold winter. Lord knows what will happen to them now. Love your blog.

2. 5currantbuns says:

That yarn looks a lovely colour what is it ?

3. I am in love with all the colors in your post. Especially the yarn and the daffodils. So beautiful. Would love to learn tricks to planning sewing as well. So very hard for me.

4. I was thinking that too. What a luscious red. How brilliant to use something that you have made. It’s a fab feeling. I actually dug out one of my vintage machines tonight, popped it in the car and packed a whole load of quilting fabric, pre-washed to boot. Since I am working away I might as well fill all those long night alone with something productive – the blocks of boredom! That looks like a very nice shirt. Lovely fabric. Can’t wait for the big reveal. Xx

5. rosemary says:

Ohhh maybe that’s it! I’ve had so many ideas for new projects I can barely keep eye them straight. But I do find writing a blog about them, matching patterns with fabrics helps. Ps the flowering cherry trees on my street are going crazy.

6. Mags says:

I’m trying to get more organised. I now have a pin interest page for Autumn/winter sewing and Spring/summer (I’ve already got one for Autumn/winter 2016-17, and I put my ideas there. I’ve just started putting a sample of fabric on a card with details (including if it is washed) and if I know what it’s for ill put the pattern too. Sometimes I feel a bit too organised.

7. I do indeed have a great tip for organising sewing projects. It was on my blog a while back. I made a snazzy wall hanging with pockets in which little cards move around depending on my priority, mood, materials and general need to complete half finished things. Take a look here:
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/listing-on-new-level.html. That is a well finished looking patch pocket flap, what is it? Jo x

8. Claudia says:

Thanks for the clothespin bag pattern; it will definitely be on my spring sewing. I wish I could believe that spring was truly on the way, but I think I’m just being fooled (in Canada I don’t expect spring to show up until late March/early April). In the meantime, I’m trying to finish up a couple of sweaters as well as a couple of sewing projects.

9. Robin says:

My spring sewing plan organically evolves from spring cleaning – but maybe pre-spring cleaning is a more appropriate description. I also garden. Planning is a big part of my personality when it comes right down to it. Hand-in-hand with cleaning is sorting. As I clean I sort, both the sewing room contents and the wardrobe. The two meet at the mirror! What still looks good, fits and is functional? What needs mending? I try everything on in front of the mirror, mixing and matching, then determine what holes are in my wardrobe and find appropriate fabrics and patterns from the stash to fill them. Then I usually throw away the plan and do what I like, but at least the closet is clean. This plan is much more fun to execute this year as I am unemployed. So I have more time to play around (effectively slowing down spring, which goes by very fast when you sew and garden), and I have to use my imagination and project what kinds of clothes a potential job might require. Unemployment has it’s benefits… I think there are different kinds of planners and planning processes. I am not a consulter, and go mostly by instinct because I want to keep it fun. It’s both an art and a science. Looking forward to hearing how your plan coalesces!

10. Pingback: Turtleneck fit for a beatnik | By Gum, By Golly

11. Alessa says:

Ah, spring is still weeks away here in Germany, but so looking forward to it…