Am I contravening a sewing blog rule? Because I’m going to recommend something most-very-shop-of-bought. The humble slip!
I used to believe that slips were worn by Great Aunts and, er, my mother. (Hi, Mum!) Then I invested in this simple slip and ever since it’s been on heavy rotation.
Here’s why it works for me:
- Winter warmth – an extra layer in the cold.
- Tights. Enough said.
- Some sewing projects don’t suit a lining, such as my four Ultimate Shift Dresses. But I do want a fluid drape, and a slip helps.
- Avoiding compromising translucence when sewing with finer fabrics.
- Allowing makes to sit smoothly against my body without VPL.
- Winter warmth. Did I say that already?
Do you wear slips? Buy them, or sew them? I’m not sure I have the energy to make one and I like an item I can chuck in the washing machine on a weekly basis. But then, I see what other people are achieving with silk and lace… Is now the time to sew a slip?