Lots of us claim that we just don’t have enough time for sewing, but when we say we’re sewing is that what we’re really doing?
This is the era of distraction, for sure. How many of us sit on the sofa with multiple screens on the go? I almost can’t watch the telly without my laptop open. And sewing can be just as full of distraction. Do any of the below ring true?
- There’s an ipad propped open next to your sewing machine, social media feeds scrolling up the screen.
- You’re following an online sewalong, and keep pausing to check the next blog post in the series.
- As a sewing blogger, you’re snapping construction photos for your next blog post.
- Netflix is on in the background. Who just killed who?! Pause and rewind.
- Cup of tea? Glass of wine? Why, yes please!
- A pet gets jealous of your sewing machine and makes regular demands on your attention.
Our sewing productivity might benefit if we switched off all devices other than the sewing machine. Radical. Sewing in convent silence might not appeal, but why don’t you make a personal vow?
For an hour, just sew. See how it goes. That dress-in-an-hour pattern might actually be sewn in 60 minutes! Just don’t ask me what to do about the jealous pet. I’m still working that one out…