Winding A Hank Of Wool Jack Style

wool and toilet roll

Reader, Jack Of All Craft, suggested a different method of winding a hank of wool and it involved … a cardboard toilet roll tube!

I never, ever thought I’d feature bathroom staples at Did You Make That. Just goes to show that I know nothing. I decided to try this alternative method of winding. The cardboard tube helps release tension in the ball and makes the winding process easier.

No words needed for instructions; just follow the photos below.

Toilet Roll Collage

Now, I need to find something else in the house to use. How bobby pins can be an alternative to pins? (They can!) Why wooden spoons help you turn belt loops. (They do!) What to do with that pile of paperwork that sits on the sideboard, unloved and ignored and sending out its vibes of guilt, until you throw the papers out in a fit of pique? Manure the garden? Answers on a postcard!

Thanks, Jack Of All Craft!

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Winding A Hank Of Wool Jack Style

1. Liz says:

I use those round containers stores use to display buttons. They are thinner and longer so I find them more suitable for light weight yarns (sock or lace yarn) with more yardage. I prefer this method over the other one because you can knit from both ends of the yarn at the same time.

2. Using toilet paper tubes is a great idea! If you don’t have one at hand, kitcgen tools are also a great option: http://b-bloggt.blogspot.co.at/2011/01/delicous-cakes-yarn-cakes.html

Love,
    B

3. Ma Mc says:

It’s funny the things we use around the house to help us out 🙂
    Another use for toilet paper rolls is winding binding for a quilt. Sew the mitred strips, press the seams open, and wrap around the toilet paper roll. Place a pin to keep from unraveling. When ready to use, set roll in a small box by your feet, and pull off as needed. Store remaining binding on the roll, on the shelf for a future project 🙂
    Really enjoy your posts 🙂 Thank you!

4. You can apparently put the toilet paper tube on a hand mixer (with attachment) and use the swirling motion to wind it for you. There’s a Youtube video on it somewhere. I’ve not tried it, because I have a swift and winder now, but it looks easy and interesting!

5. Chopsticks, in particular the long cooking ones, are brilliant for turning tubes, poking out corners etc. We have several in our drawer of sewing tools in the studio!

6. Nancy says:

A bit off topic from sewing but since we are discussing knitting – thought the following idea might be useful to some readers.

Based on the theory “necessity is the mother of invention” I was visiting a relative with 3 cats. Every time I tried to knit the cats attacked the ball of yarn. Finally I had a light bulb moment while pouring a glass of pop out of a 2 litre plastic bottle. Basically I cut the bottle in half across the middle of the bottle (empty and washed and dried). While the bottle was in 2 pieces I placed my ball of yarn inside the top half of the bottle and threaded the yarn through the neck of the bottle. Then I gently squeezed the top section of the bottle where I had cut it in two and inserted it into the bottom half of the bottle. Problem solved – I could knit and the cats couldn’t mess with the ball of yarn.

Hope this idea helps other blog members – that’s all for now – Nancy in Canada

7. Heather says:

Empty cotton reels work well for wool winding. Chop sticks are brilliant turners, and corner poker outers, cushions help to give a rounded surface for hemming circular skirts.

8. Christine says:

My grandmother taught me – more years ago than I care to remember – that when you wind a ball of wool be sure to ‘hold’ the already wound bit against your fingers so that the wool gets wound loosely. I guess this is why you would use a loo roll. Winding the wool incorporating fingers also means you can turn your hand at the wrist which is less tiring.

9. esewing says:

Great use for loo roll tube , makes such a difference if wool is evenly wound .
    Like the idea of using them for binding , it would stop it twisting as you sew .
    For that stack of paperwork you could paper mache a beautiful storage box to store the next pile in !

10. jackallcraft says:

Wow, thanks for featuring my wool-winding method on your blog! I usually use a kitchen roll tube for preference, as it’s a little longer for holding on to, especially once the ball gets bigger. The tubes from the centre of rolls of cling film or kitchen foil are also good as they’re very sturdy, though a bit thinner. But loo roll tubes work perfectly too!

11. Phyllis Klosterman says:

Do you remove the paper roll when finished winding?
    Can you pull from the center?