Four Tips For Storing Sewing And Knitting

Homemade Dresses Hanging Up

First of all, thank you so much for your support and encouragement following my last blog post. I had no idea how people would react and it was the first time I’d put my plan down in words for others to see.

As Robin commented, whenever I doubt myself I can go back and read the comments. If you’re facing the freelance challenge yourself, I definitely recommend scouring the comments for deep wisdom and top tips – from the importance of a good accountant, to remembering to switch off.

Now, on to something less demanding! Reader Florence asked how I store my wardrobe of handmade clothes. Nothing sophisticated, but I do have a few tips to share.

Enough wardrobe space

I recently inherited a wardrobe from a friend, intending to throw out one of the two I already have. Now I have three wardrobes. I love the fact that my clothes aren’t cramped into a bulging space that makes it impossible to see what I have to wear.

The down side is clothes are being forgotten as I tend to migrate towards my favourite wardrobe. (And honestly, I don’t need three. I really must get rid of one, especially if I’m serious about turning my spare bedroom into an office.)

inari tee dress john lewis linen

My latest make – an Inari tee dress in linen bought from John Lewis, Oxford Street

Decent hangers

Once upon a time, everything hung on those wire hangers you get for free from the dry cleaners. In fact, when I first moved down to London after university, my clothes hung on plastic children’s hangers that I begged from my local M&S because I was too skint to actually buy clothes hangers.

There’s nothing like starting your life from scratch in a city you don’t know, with a student overdraft and a poorly paid first job. Ah, youth! But Hackney looked after me, and I’ll never stop loving Hackney for it.

I digress!

These days, I use matching wooden IKEA hangers, padded hangers for anything delicate and these brilliant cascading hangers for multiple items. Below, my collection of Sew Over It pussy bow blouses.

cascading hangers

I even buy vintage hangers when I see them…

tailors hanger

Don’t forget the drawers

For my hand knitted items, I store them in a drawer. I don’t want the shoulders stretching out on a hanger. You can be quite certain that I regularly refresh my Hanging Moth Proofer. I’ve had too many woollens destroyed, and those critters like the good stuff.

handknitted items stored in a drawer

Under bed storage has been useful too (these cheap as chip boxes do the job for me) but mainly for storing parts of my sewing history. Curious to know if any readers recognise either of the below!

underbed storage

vogue coat

I hope that was useful! There are some items I’ll never throw out, no matter how much space they take up. Memories are made of this.

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Four Tips For Storing Sewing And Knitting

1. Helen Johnstone says:

I’m always intrigued by how many clothes you just have as you seem to make up items very quickly. I don’t know where you find the energy after work.

2. Penny Dolan says:

Now that settles it. A trip to IKEA is definitely needed!

3. aligoll says:

I’m sure you’ve heard many words of wisdom already but having just left the security of employment myself, I realise that I really don’t need to spend as much money as I thought! I have the freedom to choose the jobs I want to do and to work less or more as it suits me. The cut in pay is well worth the time and freedom I have and after a few weeks of adjustment, I can honestly say that I don’t really notice it as my whole life style has changed.

I’m sure you will love the new life you will create for yourself!

4. Those cascading hangers are nifty! And you know, you are both creative and brilliant, and you have a ton of experience in your field – I can’t, in all seriousness, see any reason this venture should end up as less than a success. You’ve got what it takes.

5. Louise says:

Is that not your lovely coat you made? I sacrificed wardrobe space for a sewing table so I have to be extra savvy, everything has to earn its space in my wardrobe. Like those hangers and thanks for the link.

6. redsilvia says:

How exciting to make such a change! I, too, think after an adjustment period you’ll wonder why you waited so long.

I’ve been off work for almost four months (over soon) and can’t believe how much money I saved not buying food out and on gas. I intend to bring more food to work and save a bit there since there’s not much I can do about gas (petrol ain’t it?)

Anyway, you’ll be a freelance star and hopefully still have time to sew and knit.

7. Recognised your lovely coat. That was a fair while ago, wasn’t it? I am sure that most of us suffer from storage issues, my house is bursting at the seams, unless we have a dressing room or some other Georgian luxury. I try to keep all my coats and jackets on wooden and/or padded hangers and keep paper wrapped soaps in between all my folded-up clothes. I also leave unopened packets of incense in the bottom of the wardrobe. I store stuff for a long time but when it does come into rotation at least it smells nice, if a hippyish. Suits me though! 🙂 Xx

8. Joanne says:

Definitely useful. Especially the tip for the cascading hangers. I sometimes put jackets over jackets, but then you forget what’s actually under there.

9. Gail says:

You are so right about using good coat hangers.