A Winner and A Question

knitting in kent

Hey, guys! I’ve been away, running a writers’ retreat. In the spare moments I had to myself, I scurried away to my room to knit. Back and forth, back and forth, mind blank, body rest, back into the fray. I’ve touched on the power of the introvert in a previous blog post. Ever felt the dual need to perform and be on your own? I have!

But now that I’m back I have a winner and a question.

The Winner

buttons at jumble sail

The Sewist to win my selection of jumble sale buttons is Sew Anne. I’ll be in touch for a postal address, Anne.

The Question

waste basket

How do you encourage a non-sewing person to understand that fabric thrown into the bin by your work station isn’t… Well, I’m not really throwing that fabric away.

Material I need for a WIP has escaped my house. For ever. Just because I tossed it in a waste basket. WHAT’S WRONG WITH PEOPLE? Don’t they understand that I was just keeping this corduroy in a safe place…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A Winner and A Question

1. Sorry, seems like anything in the bin is meant to go out.

2. carlamayfield says:

I don’t get it. If it’s in the wastebasket, it’s trash. In my house, who knows what unspeakable things could be underneath or on top of whatever is in the trash. I would NEVER put any WIP, fabric, or anything I wanted to touch ever again into the wastebasket. I recommend a new storage unit;)

3. Emma Welsh says:

I have a bin full of scraps and threads… I know I should take it to h and m for recycling, but what if there is something in there for safekeeping?

4. Sarah says:

Oh, dear! I have trained my family to never touch anything sewing related! LOL!

5. BeingZhenya says:

Sorry for your corduroy loss!

6. Jenny says:

Love the colour of that wool – what is it?

7. Beckyjopdx says:

Omg, I’m with you. Of course, I usually take out the trash (or remind kids to do it) so tossing out wasn’t an issue, but before I had my own sewing room I’d find FOOD trash in my I-might-be-saving-that-or-tossing-that bin. I’d go to pull out that piece I tossed in there only to find something gross tossed on it. ARGH. Even if you just want a scrap to start a new bobbin on or to front a delicate fabric so the feed dogs don’t eat it- we all reach back in the scrap bin!

8. Needleswift says:

Hmmm, this is an interesting one. I tend to throw off-cuts into a bin by my desk and then fish pieces out during the sewing process if I need to test out stitches/check tension. But that said, they are scraps so wouldn’t be the end of the world if they departed. But, nobody empties that bin but me (I did once find my little boy stealing scraps from a so-soft dressing gown because he wanted to cuddle them!). Curious – was this piece thrown out in an ‘it’s-not-going-well-rage’? I’ve definitely done that before!

9. Ann Warner says:

this incident reminds me of a time when my aunt when she was on holiday in a posh hotel many years ago in Gran Canaria, after a day on the beach she took her rings off and placed them in a ‘glass dish’ on the side table as her hands were greasy, the following day they had gone, the maid had emptied the ashtray and thrown them away! Diamond rings, dress fabrics all as valuable as each other !

10. Karen says:

Nobody is allowed to touch anything in my sewing room, including the bin, unless I say so! 😉

11. Pippi says:

My sewing room doubles up as the office in my house and we have a two bin policy; one for dry recyclables and one for the rest. Any fabric scraps go into the recyclables bin with waste paper and card so they can be easily fished out again if needed and don’t get mixed up with the rest of the rubbish and nothing goes walkies. I’ve also done the pillow case trick before though – lining a bin with an old pillow case and only using it for fabric scraps. Larger bits can be rescued and once it’s full you just sew the pillow case up and use it as a cushion pad, or Dog’s bed – (looking at you Ella!).

12. Antonia says:

My whole family has been trained that my sewing scraps receptacle is NOT A BIN, even though it looks awfully like one. Well, nearly the whole family. I have succeeded with my children and even the nice person who comes in to clean our house, but not with my husband. He does not empty the ‘bin’ – I have succeeded to that extent – but he puts rubbish into it. Drives me nuts, but there are other compensations.

13. Emily Handler says:

I have two bins, one for trash and one for scraps. When a project is really truly for-sure-100%-for-sure finished, then I transfer the scraps to the trash.

14. redsilvia says:

At my house if anyone other than me took the trash out, I’d let them throw away my entire wardrobe without comment.

15. At a place I worked a researcher put her research files on the floor, near the bin. They were gone in the morning and were never recovered despite desperate calls to the depot! I have a scrap bag I use for off cuts.

16. LinB says:

Have been unsuccessful in training DH to ever empty the three actual bins in my sewing room, so they are safe places to stash things I don’t want him to see. Biggish scraps wait there quite happily should I need them — although I generally put my leftovers in the same container as pattern-and-cut-out-pieces-and-notions for each project. Because it is a lady’s prerogative to change her mind. And I change mine often.

17. Well, I’m soon to get a proper sewing room all arranged, and will remember the need for clearly marked TRASH and just STUFF, even though I will be the only one tossing out, no doubt. But still, one never knows…
    And congratulations to Anne! Can’t wait to see what becomes of all those lovely buttons.

18. I am the only one to empty the trash bins in my sewing area. They never, ever have trash that might spoil in them, so they wait until I take care of them.

19. Sara says:

On my honeymoon I had two lingerie outfits in a plastic shopping bag. I put one on and left the other in the bag on the bathroom floor. Later, my new husband threw the plastic bag in the trash and my pretty négligé was gone forever