Binned

sewing cord

The Binned Fabric situation gets worse. There I was, merrily sewing my Bettine dress, in a a needlecord that I really loved. I turned to my back skirt piece and realised with growing horror that I hadn’t actually cut it out. The rest of my fabric was long gone.

Deep breaths! Move on.

So, I’ve decided to plan my next Bettine. I dragged this camera printΒ viscose out of my stash and paired it with a couple of accessories. It should be nice and breathable for our long, hot summer days (ha!). Okay, our wet, humid non-summer days. Do you plan your whole outfit when you start a sewing project? Even more challenging question – do you end up buying accessories to go with the outfit you have not yet finished sewing? Oh, yeah. It happens. Been there!

Bettine plans

But in the spirit of trying to be responsible, in the face of my own and world decisions taken over the past few weeks, I’d like to dig deep into my stash and use up some of what I already own. You don’t really want to see my stash, do you? Of course you do!

stash

Five shelves of fabric that lurk in a cupboard on the landing. How I loathe that cupboard, how I’ve always loathed it. Is now the time to clear it out and get rid? I have a feeling there’s quite a lot I’d like to slough off right now…

26 Responses to Binned

1. Penny Dolan says:

Brave person to tackle that pile. So many outfits that will never be seen or worn – but if they don’t inspire or work for you any longer – no matter how lovely – better they go somewhere else..

2. Ah the pattern pile! A year ago when I started sewing, I envied the stash so many had….now I’m a little scared of the monster I created…
    Well done for tackling it!

3. Helen says:

Why not make a quilt with some of your stash? You must have moved the fabric when you bought it so it seems a waste to ditch it.

4. Joen says:

I have officially sworn off fabric buying after pulling my stash fabric out to sort it when I move and didn’t realize the Vader amount I have YIKES let the sewing begin

5. Lovely stash, but this isn’t all, is it? I’ve got way more than that. But, should you wish to get rid of the black/white woven check, folded up to the right in the bottom of the pile, I’d be happy to help. I’ve been trawling the shops for a cotton like that, but all I managed to find was 90 cm…that’s not enough for a shirt or shirt-dress.

6. I suggest you just send all your fabrics my way and start fresh! LOL!

Sorry about your needlecord

Frankie

Xx

7. NICOLA ASHMAN says:

Does anyone else buy things just because they like it ,then never find something to make and the fabric whispers guilt messages at you. When I decorate my sewing room I am determined to get rid of anything I don’t think I’m going to use. Maybe we should organise an online swap shop to stop the guilt.

• mumokio says:

Oh yes ! I have got 3m of a liberty cotton voile that I bought 24 years ago, I loved it then and I still love it now but I’ve never found the pattern worthy of it. As I’m getting older I’m now considering lining a dressing gown with it and it can see me in
      to my grave…..

8. redsilvia says:

How apt, I just got rid of several bits of fabric yesterday. Bagged it up and drove it over to the charity shop asap. I only wish I could part with more. I’m down to three gigantic plastic tubs of fabric and one of yarn.

Your camera fabric is adorable and will be a lovely garment! Cut it out before opening the wine, that is my policy.

9. PsychicKathleen says:

When I returned to sewing one and a half years ago I couldn’t imagine what people meant by “stash”? I would buy a pattern and buy some material to make it (along with notions) and off I’d go. Then I started noticing “sales” and “indie patterns” and now have a FRIGHTENING pile of both!! Yikes. I’ve absolutely committed myself to NO MORE patterns OR MATERIAL πŸ™‚ honestly I think I have enough of both to keep me in clothes for the rest of my life (I’m 61 πŸ™‚ well maybe not THAT long…

10. Colleen says:

Here’s the thing though. When you are tempted into buying fabric for whatever reason – the colour, the drape, the feel – it I holds such promise. In your mind’s eye you can see that bias cut linen frock you’ve been eyeing in the Merchant and Mills Workbook, that gamine check tunic you can cut out from the charity shop pattern that caught your eye, those ultimate trousers you’ve been promising yourself for months. You are full of buzzy plans and optimism. ( Yes,definitely a touch of addictive rush.) If you don’t still feel that down the line it’s time for it to be liberated and, hopefully, make someone else happy.

11. Lisette says:

I’ve definitely seen that scarab fabric around! I always feel glum about my stash until I sew something from it. I think the trick is to just sew through it (unless you have something that doesn’t inspire you at all, find someone who is inspired by it!) and not add more!

12. Sarah says:

If the mod has struck to sort and fold, I would definitely take advantage of that! It could inspire you to stick with your choice to make use of the things you have, because you may unearth some really beautiful things πŸ˜€

13. Our fabric stash is so big we’ve had to build a shed! Haha
    It certainly helps that we’re trying to build a business but too many fabrics by far!

14. Helen Fox says:

How sad about the needle cord 😦 can you buy some plain that matches and have a pattern top half and plain skirt? Bettine is so quick to make you might as well save it, the needle ord us lovely X

• Tanya says:

That’s exactly what l was thinking: have the bodice as the patterned needlecord and the skirt part in a solid coloured fabric. That sorts out the Bettine dress and will look like a ‘top and skirt’ effect. Karen, reconsider shelving this project and use the wonderful creativity that is inside you.

15. Annie says:

How about just making the entire skirt from a coordinating fabric?

16. Emily says:

I made a Bettine in that same camera print viscose (the cream version though)! It’ll look fab!

Sorry about the needle cord version though. It’s so frustrating when things like that happen!

17. You could use the top part of that needlecord at least, as a blouse?
    Come on with the Bettine, Karen, I want to see it on you!

18. Tracy says:

I know the feeling! At the same time, it’s really hard to give up that nice checked tropical wool I bought while in in Madison for my brother’s wedding…(you see the problem, I have emotional attachments to everything).

So I’ve started chucking the stuff that doesn’t really mean anything to me, and periodically resorting and refolding the rest according to type and color. (I do still like the checked tropical wool, even if it’s completely intimidating to sew!)

19. Tracy says:

And I’m sorry about the needlecord. It’s so pretty!

20. Twilight says:

My problem is not always proper (over 2m) pieces of fabric, but the remnants of other people’s and my own projects that I hog. Theoretically it should be possible to sew something with half a meter or a meter of fabric – especially if you are good at combining fabrics (I’m not), but in reality, how often does that happen? I have four shelves full of remnants. I don’t quilt. Maybe I should also just let them go to somebody who can make something of them.

21. esewing says:

How frustrating to discover a missing piece halfway through ! Glad your moving on – not sure I’ve ever bought accessories for a project, but that might encourage me to complete it , so maybe should try it ! As for the stash – I had to board the loft !

22. Jo says:

I am pretty good at keeping my stash under control, a bit of quilting here and there always keeps it in check. Having two little girls is useful as I can make things for them with smaller pieces – I mean I love them aswell they are not just useful in sewing terms!Jo x

23. Janet says:

Nightmare. I’ll add this to my list of ‘mistakes I’m bound to make at some point’. Nice to hear someone else is contemplating running down their stash – there’s some belt-tightening going on in our house too at the moment, and I’m feeling guilty about all the money I’ve sunk into fabric that’s so far unused.