Ah, gingham. The stuff of school uniforms? NO! The stuff of dreams. Just check out my Pinterest Gingham Inspiration Board, if you don’t believe me. From that gorgeous Brigitte Bardot cinched in dress, to shorts, menswear, accessories … once you disappear down the gingham rabbit hole, it’s difficult to scramble back out.
Gingham is versatile as heck. It can represent rockabilly, mod, happy school days, 1950s domesticity, James Bond suave… Worn by Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, Jackie Kennedy, and now you.
I’ve been planning a Ginghamalong for AGES. I’m hoping this sewing challenge will enable me to accomplish certain goals. Actually, I’m hoping I’ll accomplish more than one Gingham Goal. What about you? Is there something you can immediately see yourself making? (Gingham Ultimate Trousers with pom pom trim?)
TO ENTER THE GINGHAMALONG
- Sew an item from gingham by the deadline of Tuesday 13 September – a month from now.
- It can be anything at all, as long as it’s made from gingham.
- Leave a comment and link to your item on the blog on Tuesday 13 September, for automatic entry to a prize draw.
- If you don’t have a social media link to share with me, you can email details to didyoumakethat[at]fastmail[dot]fm
To inspire, here are a few fascinating gingham facts for you:
- The checkered pattern was first produced in 18th-century Manchester mills.
- Brigitte Bardot was married wearing a pink gingham dress.
- There is no right or wrong side to gingham – sewing win!
NEED MORE GINGHAM INSPIRATION? A LAUNCH GIVEAWAY
It can be difficult to find decent gingham. There’s a lot of poly cotton out there. You deserve better than that, don’t you? Yes, Karen! So, here’s a little giveaway to launch the Ginghamalong.
Winner 2: Gingham doesn’t just have to be about cotton. I also have two metres of gingham jersey on offer to a second person from Girl Charlee UK. It comes in four different colourways – so difficult to decide!
TO ENTER THE LAUNCH GIVEAWAY
- Be confident that you can sew and share on social media a gingham item by 13 September.
- Leave a comment below by Friday 19 August midnight GMT, explaining what you’d make with your gingham.
- That’s it.
Got it? Good. Go Gingham!