Harvesting Patterns

acornblackberriesladybirdrosehip

Lots of colour inspiration from the natural world right now. Which means it’s a good job someone’s gifted me some Sixties and Seventies patterns that would really suit autumnal. Planning, planning, who else is planning?

autumn vintage patterns

I’m intrigued by these pintucks…

pintucks

And who can resist a spot of 1967 nautical chic?

style 2087

Do these inspire you? Would you modify any of the details for wearing today?

simplicity 3928

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Harvesting Patterns

1. Loving the red version of 3928, it has a great kurta feel to it. Also it reminds me of my teens when I had a love of those types of dresses in florals, patched in interesting ways. I was a late onset hippie ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Cherry says:

So funny. I made and wore all these styles except the pin tucks which would have been challenging on a treadle. I was even a size 12 – then. I made a grey lightweight denim dress like the 2087 with a pink gingham collar, I made a long purple dress rayon with a scoop neck and little self fabric buttons down the front but it was longer as I was in my midi phase by then. Loved my little green wool tartan mini and matching v necked vest top. Could go on….

I love the idea of autumnal harvest colours and they would suit your colouring. I’d step away from the frill! The stand up collars on dresses are a fiddle and don’t add anything. There must be better collars in your pattern collection. I find a line skirts comfortable to wear and they pass the can you run for a bus in it? test which has always been my mantra. Me, I’m so slow I haven’t quite worked out what to sew for summer but autumn planning sounds fun.

PS: Visited new sewing shop Sewn in Bristol this week. Really lovely collection of fabric, indie patterns and habdash. Recommended if you’re in the area.

3. JennyS says:

I recently made pintucks on a Victorian style blouse for my youngest granddaughter’s friend. A quick search taught me that the easiest way to do them is to sew and press the tucks on the fabric before cutting, then fold it at right angles to the tucks and cut out (careful if you have a directional print). I would never have worked this out for myself. How did we manage to sew without the internet? I’m intrigued by the construction in this pattern – those long darts and the high waist seam on only the front panel, and there doesn’t seem to be another opening. I love that pattern and would not alter a thing on it.

I’m with Cherry on the frill, not a good look for today – but the red version of 3928 is fab! And the Autumn colours would be groovy for the box pleat skirt and waistcoat. The long sleeved version of 2087 reminds me of a coat-dress I had in black and mustard dogtooth check (not home made) which I wore with a black polo neck, black tights and Chelsea boots. My Dad said I was not to go out in it as the skirt was too short, but I did anyway and I remember being freezing cold. But fashion overruled comfort!

I must dig out the box of late 60s/very early 70s patterns that my sisters and I made. Unfortunately they’re all cut in size 10 ……

• PsychicKathleen says:

WOW that was so helpful re making pin tucks BEFORE cutting out the pattern – I’m just not sure by “then fold it at right angles to the tucks” – you mean if you’re placing piece on the fold? Did you see that on a video?

• JennyS says:

It was like a light going on for me when I read this method. I saw it on a blog about historic patterns where the sewist was putting tucks all round several layers in a frilly petticoat and I just adapted it for the blouse. Three tucks each side on a child’s blouse is quite enough for me! It’s a much easier way to get the fronts to be a mirror image of each other. For the fronts of a blouse, sew the pintucks parallel to the selvedge about twice the length of the front piece. For two fronts in plain fabric without nap (ie where direction doesn’t matter) fold the fabric across the width so that there are two layers of tucks on top of each other and lay on the pattern making sure that the tucks lie in the right direction, facing outwards from the centre. If your fabric is directional or has a nap then you have to cut the two fronts singly and separately on unfolded fabric, turning the pattern over for one so that everything lies correctly, so make sure the tucks are positioned so there’s enough width. This uses more fabric. If the pattern has an allowance for the tucks you need to remove this from the pattern. I always triple check everything before cutting! Hope I’ve explained this clearly.

• Katie M says:

This is great advice. I did this the last time I made a shirt with pin tucks down the front. It was so much easier.

4. Robin says:

I love the vest over the jumper paired with and trousers in the first photo – wouldn’t change a thing. That to me says autumn.

5. redsilvia says:

If you make the holly hobby dress in the last photo with the ruffles and trim I’ll personally come over to London and buy you enough cocktails to disable the navy.

That said, the button front would be lovely with collar reshape and those pintucks made me squeal! So cute.

6. Nita says:

Oh, I love old patterns. I keep buying them at the thrift store just because I love the pictures/drawings on the fronts, lol. I have so many, I could open an etsy shop if I thought anyone would buy them, lol! Sew the one with the pintucks first, they’re fabulous. ๐Ÿ™‚

• JennyS says:

I don’t want to hog this post but this has reminded me I saw something a couple of years ago where a similar pattern had been copied onto fabric and the result used to make a small zipped bag. My imagination is now running riot – drawstring bag, iPad case, bag for my sister to keep her crochet hooks in ….. I feel some Christmas makes coming on. How’s that for Autumn planning!

7. PsychicKathleen says:

Love 2087! Nice lines and what a collar ๐Ÿ™‚ I was reading JennyS advice re pin tucks – so helpful!

8. esewing says:

My favourite is the second one, think they would transfer for today , empire with a bit of flare , great little work dress although I would loose the lace trim !

9. Love the shirt dresses in 3881. The one on the left would look great made up in denim.

10. kalimak says:

I love these, especially the final three. There’s just something about this style of illustration that makes me want to throw caution to the winds and just sew them up whether the retro detail would work in my life or not (I have a ’70s shirt dress with a laaarge collar calling my name from that pattern envelope!).

11. creatievemie says:

Ooh my God! That last pattern used to be my favorite dress as a little girl in the seventies. Guess my mom made it as she was a very good seamstress. Can’t see myself wearing it now, though.

12. Suz says:

Love the last one!

13. Katrin says:

Doris Day movies are my guilty pleasure so I would go for the middle one in the last pattern.

14. liamarcoux says:

That red one on the 3928 envelope!! What Katie Sews made a linen dress with ribbon trim like that…I loved it, but hers was self-drafted. I have some special trim from my visit to Paris I wanted to use but never saw a pattern that would encourage that before!! Ah! Time for some EBay stalking!! Wow, lots of exclamation points. I’ve had this trim a long time. : )

15. Such wonderful photos. It is getting a bit autumnal isn’t it? I love all your patterns and can really see you in all of them, bar the one with the frills. It looks a bit like a nightie. Lovely patterns though. Xx

16. Kotikissa says:

I’m sadly going to be a downer on what is genrally a very nice blog ๐Ÿ™ That ladybug looks like it probably is a Harlequin ladybug. The Harlequin ladybug is an invasive spices in Europa and it canabalises the local ladybugs and upsets the ecosystem because it eats not only aphids, which are bad for the plants, but also bugs witch help the plants like butterflyes etc. You can read about it her: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/20/harlequin-ladybirds-declared-uks-fastest-invading-species and her: http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm