The William Morris Colouring Book

William Morris Image

Clockwise from top left, my Ginger jeans, my Anna dress, my dog, and my Deep V Tunic.

Long-term readers of the blog will know that the William Morris Gallery pops up here on a regular basis. It’s a beautiful museum with free entry, in the gorgeous Lloyd Park. Perfect for inspiration, dog walks and blog photography. I really do urge a visit if you’re ever in Walthamstow. No more than a ten-minute walk from the market and surrounded by cafes and pubs.

So, when a blog reader got in touch to ask if I’d like a copy of The William Morris Colouring Book I snatched her hand off!

William Morris Colouring Book

For a while now, I’ve been fascinated by adult colouring books and have an embarrassing number of titles littering the house. I have even taken to Instagram to find out what are the perfect colouring in pencils. When you start colouring in, you’ll understand why a good pencil is so important – mainly for detail and colour saturation. (I chose Caran D’ache .)

colouring in pencils

I think adult colouring books satisfy similair impulses to sewing. It’s a meditative activity that provides a hit of creativity at the end of a busy day. Oh, and colouring is fun!

I love this little book – small enough to toss into a bag. There are 37 wildlife spreads to colour in. The detail is tiny and intricate, so you’ll need good eyesight and a good pencil sharpener. But the satisfaction is immense.

colouring in

have nothing in your house

There are lovely snippets of information, too. Did you know that William Morris was inspired by Indian textiles or that thrushes would steal strawberries from his kitchen garden, inspiring the design Strawberry Thief?

William Morris Garden

Each of the spreads take a section of a William Morris design, so you could Google the original (the V&A has a fascinating online catalogue) and duplicate the colour scheme. Or you could just go rogue with your pencils!

This is such a sweet book, and I’m delighted that a copy shall be part of the Prize Ginghamalong Giveaway, details to be announced tomorrow. Did Morris ever work with gingham, I wonder?

william morris colouring book ii

With thanks to Hutchinson for supplying the books.

15 Responses to The William Morris Colouring Book

1. Penny Dolan says:

Looks a perfect and right-sized little gift for someone I know, so thank you. The William Morris Gallery is a lovely (and right-sized) museum too..

2. Irene says:

I met a publisher on a train who publishes colouring books. The craze for colouring was so big in Brazil that they ran out of crayons.

3. helen says:

What a great colouring book, I love William Morris designs. My 8 year old is into the adult style colouring books and we’ve spent quite a bit of time together colouring a mindfulness book. I find it very relaxing. Like the tip on the pencils to use

4. Katrina says:

I admit to holding adult colouring books in high disdain, but having spent HOURS trying to create line art of Golden Lily Minor for a project, this one has piqued my interest somewhat…someone else has done the hard work!

• Ros says:

I don’t know if they’re still available, but a few years back the V&A were selling CD-Roms of William Morris (and other) patterns which would be easy to use for that.

5. MaryD says:

Did you know that the biggest collection of William Morris stuff in the world is/was in Adelaide, Australia. I checked it out 5 years ago. Apparently tons of his stuff went to Adelaide – very fashionable at the time – and as all the houses were demolished the furniture, fabrics, embroideries etc were rescued and are now in their museum.

6. Lovely! I bought a large sized WM colouring book a few years ago but haven’t used it. Isn’tt he inspiring. We have Strawberry Thief fabric in our shop, so stylish!

7. Christine says:

Also, did you know that in Cambridge there is an early example of William Morris’s work? All Saints Church, Jesus Lane (opposite Jesus College) is decorated inside in the Arts & Crafts style. It is quite something – not at all what you expect the interior of a church to look like – and well worth a visit if you find yourself in Cambridge.

8. esewing says:

What a fab book , colouring is a great way to unwind , will have to check out the gallery soon !

9. Janet says:

I succumbed to the Liberty colouring book one a few weeks ago… There’s just one problem – it distracts me from sewing!

10. Pingback: Ginghamalong Prize Draw | Did You Make That?

11. Charlotte says:

My sister adores coloring books so this would be the perfect gift for her. I already gave her my excellent quality huge set of colored pencils…..yes, I miss them already…..so she could get started right away. Thank you so much for your generosity!

12. Jackie Forrest says:

Hi there, wanted to enter my gingham peg bag for the gingham along!