Inari Tee Dress, Pop Spots Shawl

inari-tee-dress-grey

shawl-and-inari-dress

This outfit really combines some of my most favourite colours. It’s another Inari Tee Dress, paired with a Pop Spots Shawl I knitted a couple of years ago. I reckon a shawl can definitely look contemporary if you just stop thinking ‘shawl’.

pop-spots-shawl-2016

This version of the Inari Tee Dress is sewn from grey prestige crepe bought from Fabric Godmother. I am very tempted to buy more of this in a different colour way – it really is gorgeous.

close-up-grey-crepe-fabric

To prevent everything looking too grey, I hemmed in pink. That isn’t ordinary thread – it’s jeans top stitching thread and needed a top stitching needle. I’m glad I went through all the tedious changing of thread and needle and changing back again; the pink makes a great detail. I also added an arrowhead of stitching to reinforce the top of the split. Oh, and I overlocked all my seams in pink thread!

seashell-ii

I no longer sew the sleeves as drafted from this pattern, as I find them restricting. I chalk over the top from another sleeve pattern I prefer.

inari-tee-dress-sleeve-drafting

I love my latest Inari Tee Dress. (I think I’ve made five now.) Ella was largely patient during this photo shoot, but she’s ready for her walk. Laters!

inari-tee-dress-and-ella

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Inari Tee Dress, Pop Spots Shawl

1. SaSa says:

This looks beautiful! I love the draping fabric in this beautiful colour. The topstitching is so well made and is a great detail!

2. Ann Warner says:

I love your contrast top stitching, I didnt know you could get a top stitching needle, is it just bigger?

3. Linda Hinds says:

how did you do the arrowhead?

4. kalimak says:

Karen, I think this is your “Hot Pink Period.” That color seems to be sneaking into all — or most — of your projects lately. I’m experiencing something similar with navy myself. Similar and yet so different, since navy is very much my camouflage color.

Good on you for changing out the sleeve for one that gives you a better range of motion. Did you use the Cynthia Rowley Simplicity (was it 1366? — I find numbers incredibly forgettable) or did you redraft the original sleeve for this version?

Finally, I love your version of the Pop Spots shawl. That shawl pattern has been a vague plan for me for years now as I find myself knitting less and less because of shoulder trouble. What’s next in your knitting queue? 🙂

• Yes, I use that Cynthia Rowley. I can’t remember the pattern number either! I have one cardigan finished that needs blocking and another cardie on my needles. Oh, you can’t go wrong with navy. (It took me a long time to be able to say that – my school uniform was navy.)

5. Sarah says:

Love your Inari dress, looks fab with the pink detail. Also looks mauve in the top picture. I have that fabric in black and it is gorgeous isn’t it. I made a Merchant and Mills trapeze dress with mine and it feels so lovely to wear.

6. Siobhan S says:

How good is that pop of pink? It looks fantastic against the grey.

7. twotoast says:

Love the contrast off ten pink – it looks great! Another way of strengthening the top of a split is to sew the ‘eye’ of a hook and eye on the inside at the end of the seam. It really does help!

8. Lynsey says:

Such a lovely dress, it looks great on and the extra details are gorgeous

9. The only way I personally can tolerate pink is when it’s combined with grey–and this is just perfect. Nice job on the stitching too!

10. What a fabulous and comfortable looking dress and fabric. I am new to sewing and sewing blogs and I find the blogging community very inspiring!

11. lizafrica says:

LOVE the hot pink stitching. You are right – it makes it “pop”

12. esewing says:

Love it , it is a pain to change thread but well worth it for that pop of pink , loving the pink overlocking too – perfection!
    Looks great with the shawl , am seeing them everywhere so need to add to list !