Sew Over It Lola Coat

sew-over-it-lola-coat

We had SO much fun photographing the Lola Coat! Almost as much fun as I had sewing it.

This pattern is from Sew Over It’s new ebook, My Capsule Wardrobe: City Break. It feels apt that we took our photos bang in the middle of hipster East London. We laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

hackney-wick

hackney-wick-ii

sew-over-it-lola-coat-hackney-wick

I should tell you about the coat, shouldn’t I? I love it soooooo much, with its kimono sleeves and waterfall lapels. It’s very me and fits my lifestyle extremely well. Comfy, with deep pockets for tennis balls and dog treats. But no awful pocket bags flapping about. The construction is very clever.

lola-coat-side-on

pocket-bags-lola-coat

Your inside seams shall be on show as the coat flaps open. So as a minimum make them neat; as a maximum, make them a feature.

This pattern eats up fabric and used every scrap of my four metres of – I think it’s a chambray. It’s beautiful quality and the indigo colour sings. Bought from The Man Outside Sainsburys for not much money at all. He has two weights, this and one heavier. For this coat, you will need fabric with drape.

The PDF is 53 pages long, so you know… You’ll get bored at some point, taping that lot together. But it’s worth it. Once you move on to construction, you could whip this up in an afternoon.

Pay careful attention to the sizing. It’s based on your back ofΒ bust measurement (around the back of the coat from bust point to bust point). I don’t consider myself to be a size small, but I was a good girl and followed my measurements, which meant I cut out a size small.

I added a hanging loop because, you know, hanging loops…

lola-coat-hanging-loop

sew-over-it-lola-coat-did-you-make-that-ii

I’m wearing my coat with this version of the Inari dress. And that’s your lot!

With thanks to my lovely photographer friend. She knows who she is and I hope she knows how much I adore her!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Sew Over It Lola Coat

1. Needleswift says:

Beautiful coat and fabulous photos!

2. Hazel Zoia says:

Love your blog. I went to Walthamstow Market and bought some fabric from TMOS. Thank you for all your information and advice.

3. Kathy Lynch says:

Haha! Those first few photos with a couple of “likely lads” look like pure FUN! Love it! Jacket is cute too. πŸ™‚

4. mari b says:

That must have been quite fun πŸ˜€ … you look lovely, and the color is fantastic! mari

5. Silvy says:

Love this coat, looks beautiful on you πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘!! I was put off by all those PDF pages ( I hate taping them together uff) but now that I see the result I’d like to give it a go. Is the construction very difficult, if I never made a coat before?

6. Regina says:

Very nice coat and great photo session!

7. ellegeemakes says:

Gorgeous coat and love the photos!

8. Thimberlina says:

Love the coats, and love your photo buddies, but really can’t decide if they were supposed to be there or not!

9. You are rocking that coat, Karen. Perfect stylin’! And I love the photos too! x

10. Coat yes, dress double yes, whole colour scheme triple yes. Love it all, even the inevitable photo bombers

11. PsychicKathleen says:

I love what you did with the pink thread serging on the inside! What a brilliant and simple way to make the inside of an unlined sweater/jacket jump with intention – thank you for that inspiration! Love your photos – they are simply the best ones I’ve seen on sewing ever πŸ™‚

12. Anya says:

Beautiful coat!! I want one too now! I love your accented pink thread, so gorgeous. Your photos are hilarious!! Thank you for a good chuckle πŸ™‚

13. You are looking great Karen. Coat not my liking but I do live in tropical Australia. Looks fun with the fellas.

14. Those photos are hilarious. The dress and jacket are gorgeous and you as always are awesome!

15. Natasha says:

These photos are stellar! I love everything you have made from the City Break e-book so much! I must search out some of my city’s graffiti for my next pics!

16. Pingback: Fabrics To Keep You Warm | Did You Make That?

17. Look like you had a lot of fun on this shoot. A coat with deep pockets is perfect in my book. Also that dress is stunning love it.

18. Pingback: B6178 – The Circus Is In Town | Did You Make That?