The Act V. The Object

knitting-in-progress

I have an entire completed knitting project that’s been finished for two months. All I need to do is block it and sew on the buttons, so what’s stopping me? A new make. I’ve leapt ahead.

I pride myself on always finishing sewing projects, so why can’t I be the same with my knitting? For me, knitting is more about the act than the object. I love the meditative process, the way that my brain zones out and conscious thought turns blurry. I often knit in front of the telly, with a glass of something beside me, and I’m not mega keen on complex knitting patterns. I knit in order to stop thinking.

knitting-wip

Still, an Unfinished Object is annoying, when it could be a lovely and yummy item to wear. If you don’t see something blogged soon, nag me!

At least I’m cracking on with the Christmas cake. It’s in the oven as I type.

Good luck finishing your projects this weekend!

christmas-cake

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Act V. The Object

1. Ann Warner says:

Whats on your needles? Looks interesting, also the blue mix yarn is that complete ?

2. LK says:

I’m the same way, the simpler the knitting the better. My favorites are giant afghans with a simple stitch.

3. Miriana says:

Oh my god, is it stir up Sunday this weekend?

• Never heard of Stir Up Sunday before!

• Miriana says:

Oh my goodness. It’s the day one is ‘supposed to make Christmas Cake’. It’s called that ‘cos of a sermon that is given a few weeks before Christmas that starts ‘stir up…’ And therefore reminds the congregation of stirring a cake. It’s 20 November this year which means I (and by that, I mean my boyfriend) have plenty of time

4. Chris says:

I have the same situations here: Cardi only needing to be assembled and another cardi already half way finished… Maybe we could shame each other into finishing the darn things?

5. Christine Coutts says:

I agree- knitting to stop thinking, to calm down. I have 2 projects sitting on the ironing board, waiting to block, loose ends tucked away & everything, but have happily started the next project!

6. Leticia Booth says:

Any chance you’ll share the recipe? I’m looking for a good one!

7. Julie says:

I am guilty of leaving things almost done! Last year my new year resolution was to finish a project a week…that helped

8. Kathy Lynch says:

Ooooh, YAY for Christmas cake! Did it turn out nicely? I’m yet to make the Christmas “puds” – my Mum’s old recipe. They have to be steamed for FIVE hours & the pot never allowed to boil dry; the day is spent constantly topping up the steamers with boiling water….in our warm Aussie Summer, air-conditioning will be switched on THAT day! (I’d never heard of Stir Up Sunday before either but my adult kids still pop by when I’m making the puddings to stir the mixture & make a wish, just as we did when they were little. Aaahh! I love Christmas!) ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Lynn says:

So where’s the recipe for Christmas cake? Very cruel, looked perfect!

Sent from my iPad

10. I’ve always got several knitting projects going at once. I think it’s mandatory ๐Ÿ˜‰
    But even though I knit a lot, I’ve never ever blocked a finished project, so I’d just give it a good old steam and get the buttons on. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. I have start-itus, I’ve got 5 projects on the go, plus one that simply needs binding off, and ends knitting in. Haven’t touched it in days!

12. megan says:

I totally agree about the Zen of just knitting, very relaxing and calms the mind. The cake looks delicious. I had no idea there was a proper time to cook Christmas cakes! I do mine in August as it is winter in Australia and it is a nice time to have the oven running, not in the heat of summer.

13. Hahaha, would need more than a weekend to complete all the UFO’s I have including scarfs formalist year that only need the ends sewn in. I have started knitting again for this year too and completely agree that you can just zone out and let your hands take over. Knitting is so relaxing and is so much more portable than sewing. Xx

14. Krystyna says:

I think that to achieve a ‘blurry thinking’ result knitting jumpers is faaar too complicated. To rebalance the mind, spinning is the best thing I know.
    When spinning you have to draw the fibre to the right thickness a couple of times a second, with wide tolerances. If you get it wrong it is very easy to correct. This means you take a CORRECT decision twice a second! How good is that.
    Also you deal with beautiful colours of fibre, which is soft, beautiful and cheap. After about 30 min of spinning you have about 50g of yarn. No guilt about not finishing. And you can easily knit big blankets with say 60 colours. As the nights draw in, the blanket gets longer and warmer…

15. esewing says:

You are not alone in leaving things unfinished , I am always halfway through things, maybe sharing the pics will be the inspiration you need to finish it, it’s out of its bag already ! I am only drawn to squarish knitting on nice big needles, I like to see some progress!