Fabrics To Keep You Warm

winter-fabrics

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there’s been a sudden and dramatic drop in temperates in these here parts (the UK). I’ve turned all sloth-like, when I’m not doing my Couch to 5k training and want nothing more than to cuddle up in warming fabrics.

So, at pure random and with no particular logic, here’s a run down of some of my favourite snuggly fabrics for winter weather.

gingham-pyjamas

Flannel is unbelievably warm and toasty for this time of year – believe me. In fact, it’s one of the few times of year I can wear my flannel PJs to bed without throwing off the covers.

cord-cleo-dress-tilly-and-the-buttons

My latest make in giant cord – a second Cleo dress that I just can’t stop wearing. Three days this week! It’s sooooo warm and cosy.

winter-fabrics-ii

From left to right: jersey, wool, wool, boiled wool, velvet, some sort of ponte

I always think boiled wool is perfect for this time of year and still hanker after sewing a top like Lladybird’s. This fabric would also suit a waterfall coat that needs drape. Swoon, I’d love to make a second Lola coat in boiled wool.

And on the topic of wool … any wool is good for this time of year, though you’re looking at trips to the dry cleaners. I’ve even been known to make wool dresses – see here and below.

red-wool-dress

Velvet! Gabberdashery has made herself a black velvet Cleo dress and now all I dream of is working with velvet. So lush. My bright pink velvet with the animal print might be a bit much. Or not! Hmmmmmm.

And you can’t beat a couple of metres of jersey or ponte, like my bike jersey or bubble ponte. Perfect for running up something quick, simple and warm like a Coco or a Molly.

sew-over-it-molly-dress-blue

Any fabric suggestions of your own? Wrap up warm, peeps! Jack Frost is most certainly out and about.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Fabrics To Keep You Warm

1. Sarah Vernon says:

We’re in the same mindset here in Minnesota even though it’s warmer than usual here. Maybe its because the the shortest day of the year is just around the corner. I’m trying to resist the temptation to make yet another flannel Tova, Your Cleo jumper (as we call it here) is so cute. That pattern is calling my name also.

2. Chris says:

I don’t have fabric suggestions, just a fabric care tip: I have never taken anything to the dry cleaners, not silks, not wools. I prewash every fabric before cutting (cool delicates cycle) and can report that only once (in many hundreds of metres of fabric) did a wool shrink so much that I could not use it as intended anymore. So rather than worrying about dry cleaning it might be worth trying a machine wash with a sample just to see if the fabric might be suitable for home laundering.

• Jen (NY) says:

Not sure where else it is available, but in the US and Canada, Euclan is a good hand-wash detergent for wool fabrics.

• LinB says:

Indeed. People wore wool and silk for eons before there was such a thing as “dry cleaning.”

• Jenny Lester says:

Barbara Hulaniki – of Biba fame once said that nothing needs dry cleaning except a cashmere coat – just gentle and careful washing – by hand if necessary!!

3. jay says:

If you really feel the cold there is nothing lik a silk thermal layer. So my suggestion is silk noil jersey as a tee shirt/thermal.

4. It is very cold up here in the frozen North. You definitely can’t beat wool and natural fibres for their warmth and layering possibilities. I need to be surgically removed from my cardigans this time of year. Absolutely love that printed velvet. It would make a lovely jacket. Xx

5. Tara street says:

Oh wow, I LOVE the pink velvet, where is it from? I’m just finishing a quilt an will be using a snuggle brushed cotton on the back 😀

6. Janet says:

Merino wool knit for base layers – so soft against the skin and so warm. If only I could find it on sale somewhere closer than New Zealand!

7. Tara street says:

Oh my! Where is that gorgeous pink velvet fabric from!! I love snuggling under some brushed cotton. 😀

8. Tracy Sherwood-Farnfield says:

I love flannel too! I have 2 lovely blue check flannels just begging to be made up into a reversible dressing gown/house coat… might just have to bump that up my to sew list. I also live and die in my ponte Sew Over It heather dresses at the moment (a pattern I think you would seriously enjoy too!)

9. margobergman says:

Nice round up! Flannel is a staple here in Canada of course. I made a boiled wool top that I completely forgot about until you mentioned Lladybirds. It has a reindeer on it but ’tis the season! Plus, I’ll be warm!

10. Ros says:

My absolute best garment for this time of year is a hand-knitted skirt I made a couple of years ago. It’s like wearing a blanket, so comfortable and SO WARM. I wash it on delicates in the machine and it’s fine. This is the pattern I used: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/PATTlanesplitter.php and I made mine from mostly handspun yarn, merino, BFL and similar. The bias pattern is very easy and helps the fabric to stay in shape. I added a lining of cotton jersey to mine, but it doesn’t really need it.

11. Clémence says:

I would love to take some of your cold! We got a sneak peak of winter in southern quebec a few weeks ago… and since then it has been so warm! I definitely second wool! Last year, once winter finally came I snuggled up in my many wool scarves and hats and mittens. This year I’ve been collecting wool blankets so hopefully the cold hits soon so I can use them!

12. Heather says:

Could I just say House of Hackney, Hackney Empire pink velvet………………………..beautiful. I bought some waffle pure cashmere at a sample sale last week it was so expensive I am just admiring it rather than sewing with it!

• Sarah says:

Having just seen the price if that velvet after falling on love I’m not surprised you haven’t done anything with it yet. I’d be terrified of making any mistakes!
      It’s soo lush though💓💓💓