All I Want For Christmas Is A Glittery Cleo

glittery-dungarees-close-up

When I said I was done with all things glitter and sequins, I was clearly lying to myself. This latest make is unashamedly inspired by the genius sequinned Cleo dungaree dress sewn by Kate of The Foldline.

Sadly, I couldn’t find any sequinned fabric I liked enough on Walthamstow market, but I did come across this glittery knit in Classic Textiles. £3.50 later, I was carrying it home and wondering if all my senses had abandoned me.

A Cleo dungaree dress made out of knit fabric.

A Cleo dungaree dress made out of glittery knit fabric.

Would the gods of sewing hurl lightning bolts of anger?

glittery-cleo-dress-tilly-and-the-buttons

Well, there were no sudden infernos and my dress turned out okay if you ignore how badly off grain the fabric is! It’s made of rows of black glitter and brown wool, but I found it very difficult (translate – couldn’t be arsed) to carefully line things up. And to be frank, what glares in photos doesn’t always show up in real life.

This is a very stable knit, key to even a whisper of a hope of success. I didn’t treat it any differently to a woven, though the dress did come out longer than my previous makes and needed shortening.

There was no way I was sewing buttonholes, so buckles it was thanks to Amazon Prime (link here).

Top Tip: I always end up trimming 3.5 inches from the length of the straps. I’m going to do this automatically from now on. On this make, I also tacked the end of the straps down to the facing, to stop them flopping around or poking out. I do like tidiness in my sewing!

buckle-dungaree

This was a fun make and is a likely wear for Christmas Day. Lots of room for an expanding tummy.

Okay. Now, I swear, I’m done with the glitter. But I’m not necessarily done with weird fabrics…
cleo-dungaree-dress-tilly-and-the-buttons

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to All I Want For Christmas Is A Glittery Cleo

1. margueritedesigns says:

That looks great – I’ve bought a pattern and debating what to try with it … think it’s likely to be cord to start with … maybe something a bit more exotic once I’ve tried it. Thanks for the tips too!

2. Jenny Lester says:

Don’t say TMOS let you down at Christmas!! Hope he’s replenished his stock for my visit on 14th January!!

3. Penny Dolan says:

Have a lovely & sparkly Christmas. Karen. Look forward to seeing more of your sewing projects in 2017,

4. Deborah says:

That’s a very pretty dress, and I like the buckles. You had a good idea there.

5. Love it, you can never have too much glitter at Christmas!!

6. Nan says:

“Life is about using all the crayons in the box” Ru Paul
    …or glitter!

7. Allison Graden says:

Love it!!! I love nubby fabrics that have metallic threads running through them. I’ve got several wool blends with that kind of textured, bouclé look waving at me from my stash just taunting me!!

8. I love all the fabrics you’ve been trying out recently. You are much braver than me!

9. Silvia says:

Yummy! Perfectly festive, so don’t rule out any more sparkles! Life needs sparkle, especially now. Lovely make.

10. Lynsey says:

Fab fabric, your Cleo looks great, love it.

11. Mertxe says:

Very Chrismassy!! I love that design in corduroy too.

12. It will be a dark day if you give up on weird (and wonderful!)

13. Janet says:

Glitter dungarees?! What an awesome idea – and they look great. Merry Sparkles…