#2017makenine Survey Results

capsule-wardrobe

To date, I’ve had nearly 600 responses to my #2017makenine survey (thank you!). The most popular items are:

• Dress – 37.10%
  • Jeans – 32.38%
  • Top – 31.87%
  • Trousers – 23.78%
  • Knitwear – 23.27%
  • Skirts – 18.72%

Dresses were in the lead, which makes me think I’d like to add two dresses to my #2017makenine pledge. I’m also glad to be reminded how essential jeans are as I’d like to sew a second pair of Ginger jeans, having recently re-discovered my first pair.

ginger-jeans-by-didyoumakethat

So, that’s two dress patterns, one jeans pattern… I have my thoughts about tops. But because I paid for a month’s access to this survey service, and because it’s fun to drill down, here’s a slightly more detailed questionnaire, asking for your favourite dresses, tops and skirts. This weekend, I hope to tip out my pattern stash and filter. Thanks again for your help.

Finally, a note on capsule wardrobes. More than a few blog readers seemed dismayed that I was going anywhere near a capsule wardrobe, believing that this would drain all the fun and spontaneity out of my sewing. Interesting!

What is it that divides us here? The phrase ‘capsule wardrobe’, bringing to mind some utilitarian corporate dream? A perceived division between order and creativity? Or did I just choose the wrong phrasing, when what I really want is a fun, contemporary wardrobe that coordinates and suits my life?

Answers on a postcard!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to #2017makenine Survey Results

1. Lucky Lucy says:

Survey very interesting. I love that dresses are taking the lead. “Capsule” might be the word that does indeed conjure up the days of corporate uniforms. I know, I lived it. Your style is distinctive and I suspect that even in capsule form, your choices will be creative and stylish!

2. Sarah says:

I LOVE the concept of a capsule wardrobe- when we get it BEYOND what the corporate uniform would require of us. I mean, A SWAP(http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,61.0.html) is essentially a capsule wardrobe, and look at the different things people have been doing with it for 15 years!!!
    I think it’s great for a shift in lifestyle- when your wardrobe needs to better reflect your life as it is. I think capsules make it easier to get dressed or to plan what you’d like to sew- which in no way means it’ll stop being fun.

3. PsychicKathleen says:

I don’t agree that creating a “capsule” wardrobe means you won’t be spontaneous and creative! There are so many options when it comes to dresses and tops it boggles the mind enough without having to consider what garment you want in the first place 😉

4. I think a capsule wardrobe is an excellent thing! I see it as still containing all the fun and interesting items you like to sew, but ensuring that the garments you make work with each other and your lifestyle so that they actually get worn, loved and appreciated! It means getting the most out of the clothes you create. I’m excited to follow along!

5. poldapop says:

I found it hard to pick a favorite style of skirt or dress. I think it’s because I live in Chicago, where we have extremes in temperature. In the winter, I’m all about jeans, trousers, knit dresses (ponte/double) and pencil skirts. In the summer, I’m a A-line skirt, sundress, no-trousers-ever kind of gal. I wonder if other folks have summer/winter alter egos?

• Mary in AZ says:

Our egos in AZ are summer/hot summer/sweltering summer/ rainy winter. Miss Chicago seasons, but not the snow! Wardrobes are determined by wherever you live, I suspect. I like the concept of capsule wardrobe–things that work together in a pinch and can be packed in a small suitcase to go anywhere on a moment’s notice. Oh, there are things in my wardrobe that are unique and coordinate with NOTHING else I own. Needless to say, I get more mileage from the capsule wardrobe and reduces the cost-per-wear on each item!

6. redsilvia says:

Love those Gingers! Can’t believe you forgot them. I adore the pairs I’ve made and looking at your colored ones I may have to make some out of a color…

7. Sue says:

I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe as it sounds organised and minimal. Two things I would love to be but never managed. It would allow me to add accessories in an endless variety, not uniform like at all.

8. I must admit the idea of a capsule wardrobe only works for me in terms of it being PART of my rather more extensive set of choices. If all I had was a capsule, I’d hate every garment within no time, and it would feel like school uniform all over again. I like flexing my style over time, and trying new looks while ignoring fashion and trends! I’ve recently started to embrace art-teacher chic, and I’m using more of those arty, slightly odd shapes and combinations, and loving it. I do stick to a colour range that I know both suits me, and mixes and matches well though.

9. mary says:

I think of a capsule wardrobe as a small assortment of pieces that work with the background of a basic wardrobe. In other words, the trendy colors and shapes that go with the old standbys. To me the capsule is the creative bit and you swap in/out capsules (or capsule elements) as seasons and time pass.

10. Wow, that really surprised me that people were not feeling capsules. When I did a SWAP in 2014 I loved it. Its a great way to keep hold of practicality but it doesn’t have to be set in stone. I sewed some totally bonkers items (Skull and Pansy blazer and skirt, never to be worn together but I did for photos.) probably half of them I still wear on a regular basis. (Items like my green Mabel skirt, navy Virginia leggings, navy Briar jumper, Plantain tee.) I think its a great starting point to fill your wardrobe with stuff you could potentially pair with other makes or not. The choice is yours!
    I think it depends on your pattern choices really.

11. norma says:

Capsule doesn’t need to be corporate. I find I have fewer clothes these days & many brightly coloured but they get worn a lot. Thanks to your description I think I might call it capsule???

12. I think that a capsule would work well as everything is planned to go together. It is really easy to get distracted by all the shiny, lovely colourful fabrics that don’t go with anything else and end up with a disparate wardrobe bursting with lovely things that go with nothing else. Ask me how I know. 🙂 Those Ginger jeans are look great and a good wardrobe staple. Xx

13. esewing says:

Hi, is a really interesting point , I guess you could interpret capsule wardrobe as lots of items that are similar in style and thus a bit stifling for the creative mind, however a capsule wardrobe to my mind is a range of fab pieces that can be worn together in a variety of combinations and adding the occasional pieces refreshes and updates the whole .
    If only mine was like that !