Dogs In Space!

dogs-in-space-top

dogs-in-space-fabric

I’ve been waiting all my life to type a blog post title like that. LOOK at this fabric from Stoff & Stil!

dogs-in-space-jersey-top

dogs-in-space-detail

I picked this out on my recent trip to Denmark. I caught a flight along with several other sewing bloggers and vloggers, on the invitation of Stoff & Stil, who are launching their awesome new UK website.

Although this fabric is clearly insane, I knew what I wanted to do with it. Sew an Agnes top to wear beneath my Cleo dresses. It’s ages since I’ve made one of these tops, and I’d lost the instructions, but reckoned I was a big girl and could wing it.

Some tips:

• Baste together seams to check fit. The Agnes is a notoriously close fitting top. Even though I’d graded out at the side seams one size above my suggested sizing, I still ended up using a minimal seam allowance.
  • For this or any other jersey make, I always sew my sleeve hems a touch too long. Jersey seems to creep up your arms, and there is literally nothing worse in the whole world than cold wrists when the rest of your body is ensconced in cosy jersey.
  • When attaching a jersey neck band, I baste first and then overlock in place with the neck band facing up. I don’t watch my overlocker blade, I keep my gaze fixed on the outside folded edge (as opposed to the raw seams I’m overlocking). This ensures that the folded edge stays at a consistent distance from the edge of the overlocker foot during sewing. Which gives you a finished neck band width that doesn’t get thinner and thicker in places.

Keep your gaze on the folded neck band seam when overlocking.

neck-band

The jersey has great colour saturation. It’s fairly stable, which makes it easy to sew. And hey, it’s Dogs In Space.

hem-dogs-in-space

On my visit to Stoff & Stil I was bowled over at the range of fabrics. Some beautiful classics and some fun stuff. Often novelty prints come on cheap jersey, but not here. Stoff & Stil have a whole range of designers interpreting fashions for them each season, and they organise their own printing, which means they can control the quality of their fabrics.

Did I mention the washing machine we spotted in their warehouse? Every single fabric is washed in a domestic machine on site so they can be confident of the washing instructions. Now, that’s attention to detail.

Stoff & Stil have a vast range, so if you’re feeling overwhelmed check out their Inspiration page, where they show you finished makes. Some of my Instagram followers were wondering what to do with this fabric in particular. Problem solved!

If you’re more interested in crafting than dressmaking, you definitely should check out their Hobby section. Many crafting supplies in the UK can be twee, but Stoff & Stil bring a perfect cool vibe to sewing your own toys or bags.

I have more Stoff & Stil fabrics to play with, including a very exciting red boiled wool. Watch this space.

karen-and-boiled-wool

If you are based in the UK and fancy exploring their website, I have a 15% off code for you, valid until 15 February: didyoumakethatxstoffstil. You too could soon be wearing dogs! I can’t see Dogs In Space on their website, so you might have to wear Skater Dogs instead. Come on. Skater Dogs! Who could resist?

On the trip to Denmark, it was really lovely to spend 48 hours with other people who sew and to share our adventures on Instagram. It was healing for my soul to cry with laughter, stroke fabric and drink wine with people who probably understand me better than I understand myself – much like my blog readers. Some of you, I’ve realised, have been reading since my very first blog posts. What a privilege to share my adventures. Shall we all still be here in another five years? Who knows. I wonder if I’ll have fashioned myself a Dogs In Space pyjama set by then. I should!

With thanks to House of Pinheiro for my beautiful dog charm necklace and to Stoff & Stil for their generosity.

This entry was posted in sewing, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Dogs In Space!

1. Lovely Denmark! Did you feel the HYGGE? It’s just a pitty they don’t ship abroad, so it is not for me 😦
    Regarding your advice on basting, I think all pieces must be basted for fitting before being machine stitched. That is why the “seams included” method does not work for me. Just a short way to a botched job, except for those pieces you’ve made 20 times, of course!
    Lovely, lovely top with your dungaree dress!

2. Liliana says:

This fabric really is insane, but in the best way – I love how the top turned out!
    I also do that with the neckband, it’s much more accurate.

3. natashacleeton says:

I love this Karen! Gunna check out the fabrics now!

4. Summerflies says:

I LOVE Denmark! I love that fabric… I wish also they shipped to Australia :(. Did you know Dogs In Space was and Australian movie in 1986 starring Michael Hutchins? Here’s a link to the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65wINTqQtGc I went and saw it at the cinema LOL! I may watch it myself again.

5. carlamayfield says:

WOW! You are smiling in that one picture! I don’t remember ever seeing you smile in a pic, or at least not very often. It’s nice, friendly, even! I like it. Keep it up!

6. Shelley says:

Love it!

You are making it very hard to resist Cleo.

7. Natalie says:

Wow wow wow!! LOVE this fabric, and such a great choice for the Cleo too. I’ll be waiting for the day that they decide to ship internationally….or I may even get some shipped to my Mum and she can save it for me!

8. PsychicKathleen says:

I love this fabric too! Sadly they don’t ship to Canada either but I’ll keep my eyes open for that fabric here for sure- I’ve been looking at so-called kids knits and some of them are so cute. Where would you ever find such a perfect T if you didn’t make it yourself?! Love your Cleo too – they make a perfect match!

9. PocketC says:

OH MY GOODNESS. Apologies for the all caps but that is just too glorious. I couldn’t find it on their website (and they don’t seem to ship to the US??) but I did find another dog/space themed cotton if anyone else is digging the: best topics ever

10. So cool! It looks great with your Cleo too! I’ve just checked out the Stof and Stil site, they have a great selection of knits! Love the one with the sharks on. Good tip to keep an eye on the folded edge as you sew the neck band – nothing more annoying than realising I’ve made a neck band that is thicker in some places than others.

11. Jo says:

I like that neck binding technique, I am going to give that a whirl when I get my overlocker fixed. The upper looper is not playing the game! Jo x

12. Janet says:

Dogs in space?! Weirdly, my dog began to bark in her sleep exactly as I started reading this. Your top has the official canine seal of approval 🙂

13. tiathyme says:

That’s a fantastic tip for serging a neckband. I’ll have to file that away in my brain for later.

Also, dogs in space!!

14. Love this top and your outfit, your trip sounds amazing. Thanks for the tip about eyeballing the folded edge. I’m currently making another Tonic tee and the neckband is uneven. I’ve just had a look at the Stofstill website and there are soo many nice fabrics on there.

15. esewing says:

That fabric is irresistible, looks great , off to check out that website for other scrumptious fabrics , what a treat your trip sounds, fabric, wine and like minded souls , lovely .

16. Pernille Vagtholm says:

It is so ‘hyggeligt’ to read about your trip to my country—I live not far from Herning and have shopped at Stof og Stil for many, many years…. I was beginning to want something else, but you have renewed my respect for this shop… nice!

And your outfut is super great!

17. Okay so skater dogs is the fabric I didn’t know I’d been waiting my whole life for. Amazing!

18. I’m so pleased you bought this and can’t believe how quickly you sewed it up! I can’t wait for my fabrics to arrive! What a lovely post Karen. I too feel like the trip fed my soul a little bit, so wonderful to get to chat sewing and blogging with people who understand so well

19. Casey F. says:

I now hate you because that Stoff & Stil website has so many amazing gems of fabrics and notions that my cart currently has £150 in it!!!! By hate I mean love, because their jersey selection and prices are fab, at least based on what I’ve seen here in the UK. Thank you thank you thank you! My only sadness is that Space Dogs is not avails online.