My Top Five Sewing Essential Stockpilers
- Overlocker thread in a variety of colours. Stock up when you see it.
- Microtex needles, fine enough for your more delicate projects.
- Pins regularly need replacing. As Ooobop‘s mother would tell you, throw out a blunt pin immediately! (I always think of Janene’s mum when I toss a pin. I’ve never actually met the woman.)
- Quality interfacing. I really need to stock up on mine from here.
- Chocolate. Enough said.
My Top Five Weekend Reads
I’m trying to even out the balance between blog reading and physical books. Here’s what is in my reading pile:
- I’m brushing up on my Shakespeare, because I have tickets booked to see Twelfth Night at The National starring Tamsin Greig.
- I spotted this sage green old sewing book last summer and couldn’t resist buying it. The tone can be a bit dour, but that’s half the fun of reading it:
Some know instinctively what suits them, while others never trouble, but rashly choose some colour or style that attracts the eye, the result usually being disastrous.
HAS THIS PERSON BEEN READING MY BLOG?!
Ahem, moving on…
- Sewing magazines – my backlog is stacking up.
My Top Five Motivational Tools
- I learnt about the Chalkboard Method from Braid Creative and I LOVE it. My chalkboard is from Flying Tiger but I’m secretly hankering after these. Every Monday I write down one goal for the week, prop up my chalkboard somewhere I can see it every time I walk into the office … and you can bet your bottom dollar that task gets done. Incredibly simple, incredibly effective.
- Have you heard of the Pomodoro technique? 25 minutes dedicated work, rewarded by 5 minutes play. If I need to plough through a project with no distractions, this is what I use to stop myself wasting yet another hour on Twitter. I don’t bother downloading an app, just use this uber simple online Pomodoro.
- Stationery. Nothing more motivating than new stationery.
- Deadlines. What’s that famous Douglas Adams quote? I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Nah. I love a good deadline and I love meeting it.
- My final piece of motivation? A sewing project that needs completing. On which note, I’m off to sew!
Happy weekends, everyone. Hope you found some inspiration there.
FINAL TOP TIP Girl Charlee UK is having a flash sale over the weekend. Go, check it out!